Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build

Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build 5 months 2 weeks ago #39564

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Starting with the completed image on this one:

Background for this build was for a project that needed me to build several kid-proof sabers quickly and on a tight budget. Had the idea to build a modular clampbox with the soundboard stuffed inside a large PVC coupler and the battery pack acting as the activation box. This way, batteries could be changed without anyone poking at the more delicate electronics.

That project actually fell through, but I managed to make use of the prototype when a family friend mentioned his son *really* wanted a Luke saber, and the modular soundbox seemed like a good way to go about it. Drew up some plans, mocking up Hero and V2 color schemes, and we went on building a PVC Hero Luke.

Machined a number of expanded PVC rings for the ribs, neck, and emitter, along with a knob and vented endcap for the pommel.

After the first coat of filler primer, the pommel was fitted with a tri-ring (in opposite orientation to prevent the battery box from digging into one's leg when the hilt is hung), the neck details were adjusted for comfort, and a few activation box details were machined from more expanded PVC and acrylic.

Afterward was some paint experimentation that wound up in failure. Sanded the whole hilt down, and went to my usual start-with-a-dark-base, dry-brush-to-desired-color technique.

Just an old Economy Soundboard with the standard Jedi soundfont. Tactile switch tucked away at the rear of the battery-pack/activation-box. Generic RGB LED with only the green wired. 3xAAA battery pack. Custom-machined blade plug insert. Sanded thinwall blade seated about 4" into the hilt. Not the brightest or loudest saber in the world, but this kid had the biggest smile on his face when he received it.

Finished pictures below:

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Afadir, Pegasus, RyanRising, DK44

Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build 5 months 2 weeks ago #39987

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 971
That's actually pretty amazing.
3 primary criteria catered for: hilt appearance, sound & light-up blade. The excitement on the kids face would've been priceless. You should be proud of the craftsmanship and surely must feel warm n fuzzy knowing you made someone's day with an ear-to-ear smile to match. Tremendous!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kouri

Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build 5 months 2 weeks ago #40039

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 67
That is really good Kouri! Pretty impressive! Luke's ROTJ saber is my all time favorite....great job!

Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build 5 months 1 week ago #40063

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 635
Well Done Kouri!,

A great demonstration of Jedi-mindedness, building your own saber then being aware of someone else's need and bestowing the saber to them. Fantastic!

Kind regards,

For Tyeth

Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build 5 months 1 week ago #40176

• Dr. Anthropologist
  • Premium Member
  • Hope is not lost today. It is found
  • Thank you received: 32
Really love this build! I've always loved PVC saber and yours is the best I've seen! Fantastic work.
"You can do this. Within you is the heart of a champion"
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Dr. Anthropologist.

Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build 5 months 1 week ago #40191

• Afadir
  • Elite Member
  • There can be no light, without a dark to stand beside it.
  • Thank you received: 67
Holy crap! That looks incredible. Awesome job!
Owned: Champion Bane 12W Bl. Org.
Champion Fury 6W Green
Warrior Chosen 12W+ Mint Green
Champion Jinsu Razor v2 (ASP build) 12W+ Red*

Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build 5 months 1 week ago #40194

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
That.. is amazingly beautiful. How long did it take to build it from start to finish? Wonderful job!
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build 5 months 1 week ago #40208

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Thanks so much for all the kind words everyone!

For Tyeth wrote:
A great demonstration of Jedi-mindedness, building your own saber then being aware of someone else's need and bestowing the saber to them. Fantastic!
Ah, I'm not so sure the situation was quite as selfless as you might have understood. It did, however, wind up beneficial for all involved. I was in a bad situation when the original client backed out of the first commission, so I was relieved when this project came along and I could recover my material costs. On his end, this guy had a rather peaceful month warning his son, "If you don't behave, I'll tell Kouri you don't need a lightsaber anymore!" And of course the kid was stoked over having a removable blade saber from his favorite Jedi.

MommyHoldMe wrote:
How long did it take to build it from start to finish?
About a week on the first modular sound clamp design, a month of design and fabrication afterward, and an extra two weeks lost when the gloss clear coat didn't play nice with the original paint job.
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Kouri.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Sabercore sound menu manu... (4 Posts)
    • If you have a latching switch instead of a momentary switch, things could get weird. If that were...
    • Sabercore sound menu manu... (4 Posts)
    • Quote: I don't know if there's an actual manual anywhere, but it's pretty straightforward. To enter config...
    • Recently Responded to Ema... (6 Posts)
    • ToyKeeper, Quote: It sounds like your question about crystal window styles didn't get answered. :lol: All I...
    • ASP "Interceptor&quo... (52 Posts)
    • ToyKeeper, Thank You. The threaded part is good to know. Much like unscrewing the jar of jam for my...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (141 Posts)
    • Dear Diary: It's me again.. still here.. it's been 26Weeks.. :unsure:...[image]

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4378
  • Latest Member: KMGittins
  • Total Posts: 43.2k
  • Total Topics: 3148
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 28
  • Yesterday Answer: 72