Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: SW:TOR

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #51896

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 560
Was it ever more than just a rumor? My plan for the summer is finish my second run of KotOR 1 as a Sith, play through KotOR 2, and then try out SW: TOR.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #51903

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 77
Borommakot wrote:
Was it ever more than just a rumor? My plan for the summer is finish my second run of KotOR 1 as a Sith, play through KotOR 2, and then try out SW: TOR.

http://gamerant.com/knights-of-the-old-republic-3-next-gen-release-date/

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #51906

• Drahem
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Harbinger Drahem
I own, Relic, Archons x2. Bane x2. Templar.

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #51911

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 560
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Borommakot wrote:

http://gamerant.com/knights-of-the-old-republic-3-next-gen-release-date/

That as an April Fool's joke, wasn't it?

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #51963

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
I so wish it was not. Hopefully they can get started.. someday.
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #52001

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Ah I never even botheted to look at the date.

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #52011

• schmots
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Just ans an fyi, the jedi knight story line is what kotor 3 would have been more or less.

I won't spoil anything if you haven't done it, I've played off and on since release and only finished two story lines (knight, inquisitor) but the knight story line would have worked better in a stand alone game and not in a MMO.

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #52015

• Broll
  • Premium Member
  • Attatchment is forbidden. Possesion is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, essential to a jedi's life. So you might say, that, we are encouraged to love.
  • Thank you received: 20
I played pretty religiously from launch until about 2 to 2.5 years in. At which point my guild folded. I've played here and there since then but never substantially. I absolutely loathe several of the changes made with the most recent expansion and will likely never return at this point. They watered down combat so much that you can get up and go to the bathroom mid fight and come back to find your companion did all the work, not my idea of fun...
schmots wrote:
but the knight story line would have worked better in a stand alone game and not in a MMO.

In my opinion this applies to most of the game. The biggest failure of the game is that they tried to cater to both a single player and the MMO player. This was good for some people who enjoy both, but if you are only interested in single player or only interested in an MMO you were generally disappointed. I think it would have been much better had they just made KOTOR 3 and had a separate KOTOR MMO that was less story based and more like a typical MMO. I'm not saying a story based MMO that mixes single player and MMO well is impossible or a bad idea, but I don't think they achieve it and considering it was Bioware's first MMO it was ultimately too lofty of a goal.
Sabers owned:
  1. Non-SF Hilt-only ANH Luke
  2. Kickstarter ASP (Champion)
  3. Venom (Champion) [Wife's]
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Broll.

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #52739

• Vyk
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 24
I'm on Ebon Hawk; I have a bunch of different characters, but recently (now that you can have last names separate from your legacy name!) rolled a new Sentinel: Vyk Sieven. Say hi if you see me!

Broll wrote:
They watered down combat so much that you can get up and go to the bathroom mid fight and come back to find your companion did all the work, not my idea of fun...
They've gotten a little better with that in 4.2 and 4.3--I've actually seen my health go under 90%, which never happened with 4.0--but I still agree that the sense of danger is pretty much gone. I can't remember the last time I actually died (other than running off a cliff) in anything but a boss fight. I wish there was a way to lose Influence with your companion; a lot of the problem is the massive Presence boost at higher Influence levels. (I've never given Kira a gift and I'm already at Influence level 8 with her; I'm still on Nar Shaddaa! :angry: )

In my opinion this applies to most of the game. The biggest failure of the game is that they tried to cater to both a single player and the MMO player. This was good for some people who enjoy both, but if you are only interested in single player or only interested in an MMO you were generally disappointed. I think it would have been much better had they just made KOTOR 3 and had a separate KOTOR MMO that was less story based and more like a typical MMO. I'm not saying a story based MMO that mixes single player and MMO well is impossible or a bad idea, but I don't think they achieve it and considering it was Bioware's first MMO it was ultimately too lofty of a goal.
It's interesting that you say that, because to me the best part of the game is that it's a mix of MMO and single-player. A less story-based MMO wouldn't interest me, and yet I'd miss the MMO elements if it were just single-player. If I'm hanging out with friends, it's a compelling game; if I'm just doing my own thing, it's a compelling game; if I'm doing my own thing while being a smartass in general chat it's a really compelling game. :evil: I'd take TOR over another KOTOR any day. (...even if it wasn't left half-finished like KOTOR2 was; however, I will point out that you usually avoid the "ship it and forget it" problem in a game with an ongoing subscription model.)

Sorry to hear that you're not a fan of the game anymore, and I share your opinion that recent changes have simplified the game in a negative way. However, I think it's still a great game overall. Where you see failure, I see success.
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated will you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #52742

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
You can have last names now? Since when?

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #52744

• Vyk
  • Premium Member
Since the release of 4.3 two weeks ago. They also lengthened the character name limit from 16 to 20 letters to accommodate that. A couple other things, like the syntax for /whisper and /ginvite, have minor changes because of this too.

It's worth noting that you can still have your legacy name displayed, so you could have a three-named character; you also can't hide your last name, which can make for some really long names wandering around if you also use a long title. "Vyk Sieven, Knight of the Republic". Makes me wish they'd wrap it to two lines. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: MusicallyInspired

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #52745

• CallMeMistaJ
  • Premium Member
  • "So... Malak was the original meatbag? I like that idea." ―Revan, to HK-47, after recovering his memory
  • Thank you received: 49
@MusicallyInspired I read somewhere, I'll link later if I find it, KotOR III, like with SW 1313 and SW: Battlefront III, was actually pretty far into development, until Disney shut down all the Star Wars projects. They had a main character and planets designed and everything. I think even some of the council members were the Jedi in your party from KotOR II. It was going to be a great game.....
Own
-Champ 12+ watt Phoenix

Want
-Monarch
-Sinister Prophecy
-Oracle

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #53166

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
Thinking about starting a Free to Play profile for this game. Do you veteran players have any tips for me?

(Suddenly wishes that VRMMORPGs were a thing.)

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #53172

• Vyk
  • Premium Member
Start with a Trooper (Republic side) or Bounty Hunter (Imperial side); preferably go Vanguard (Trooper tank/DPS advanced class) or Powertech (BH tank/DPS advanced class), although that's less important.

Almost everybody starts with one of the Jedi classes, because, c'mon, they're Jedi. (Or sometimes Sith, same reason.) Their basic attacks are melee, though, so you have a little bit more to worry about while you're figuring out the basics of the game. Smuggler and Agent are ranged, but they preferably fight from cover (although that's less important now than it used to be--it used to be that most of their attacks only worked from cover), so again, a little bit more to figure out right at the start. Troopers and Bounty Hunters are straight-up ranged fighters, and they're the only classes that wear heavy armor from the start, so they're a little bit more survivable.

Keep playing that class at least to the end of the first planet (Ord Mantell or Hutta) and preferably to the end of the second (Coruscant or Dromund Kaas); at that point, if you like them, keep playing them; if you don't like them, switch to something else. By then, you'll have a solid feel of the basic mechanics of the game, and learning a new class will just be learning that class, not learning how the entire game works at the same time.

As Free-to-Play (aka F2P) you don't gain experience quite as quickly as a subscriber, so go into the map (default key M) and click the "Show Exploration Missions" checkbox at the top right. That will both give you more opportunities to gain experience and show you a little bit more of the game world. One of the best things about TOR is that the world (or worlds, really :) ) is very well-developed, and doing side missions shows you a little more about it. That checkbox might be on by default for new players; I'm not sure. Anyway, after you've played the game for a while (certainly after you've gotten your first characters through the storyline on each side) you'll want to turn that off to streamline the game somewhat, but for the first run-through I recommend keeping it on.

Enjoy TOR!

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #53214

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
Currently downloading F2P. Whee!
:cheer:
Question: I may have missed it on the Terms, but could I stream this with a friend on our youtube channel, or would that be copyright infringement?

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #53215

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Streaming is generally accepted across the board. It's the reason Twitch exists. If not, you'll find out. I say do it anyway.

SW:TOR 1 year 2 months ago #53226

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
Downloaded it, got to about level 8. Didn't poke into my founder characters. Bout the same as I remember :P
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Man-Cation! (3 Posts)
    • Speak for yourself..... Now where did I put those matches....
    • Man-Cation! (3 Posts)
    • Have fun, and don't worry we will try not to burn the forums down. :)
    • Man-Cation! (3 Posts)
    • I am going to be camping with the guys for the next 4 days, where cell/data service is very spotty....
    • Trades (3 Posts)
    • I get that, like I just figure to say something cuz I wouldn't mind it but most people wanna build...
    • Custom Saber Build: Self (3 Posts)
    • Yes, I am trying to go through and fix these images now. One way or another, my posts will be fixed...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5274
  • Latest Member: VikusiBoymn
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4700
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 14
  • Yesterday Answer: 10