Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Rogue Sqadron 3D

Rogue Sqadron 3D 1 year 2 months ago #52852

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1063
This was another one of those games that I played over and over again! The graphics were a noticable upgrade from the previous SW efforts, and there were some ships available to fly that we had never seen before. Things like the V-Wing, and the Naboo Fighter.

It was another game (like X-Wing and Tie Fighter) that worked much better if you had a good joystick, and if you had one with a lot of programmable buttons, you hardly had to touch the keyboard during game play. The missions overall were fun, though there were some that were noticeably more difficult. It seemed like they put a lot of work into trying to make it a real pilot experience, which added to the repeat playability for me.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rogue Sqadron 3D 1 year 2 months ago #52917

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 560
I actually just picked this up again recently. I played Rogue Squadron 64 to death as a kid, but it's been years, it's not quite the same beast on PC. I'm thinking on trying to get a joystick for it. Having never bought one, though, I'm not sure what I need. Do you know of a good one?

Rogue Sqadron 3D 1 year 2 months ago #52918

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 822
Hi Borommakot,

From my flightsim experience I can suggest you look at three manufacturers. They are Thrustmaster, Saitek and Logitech.

Thrustmaster make replica HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) joysticks like you would find in an A-10 Warthog ground attack plane. This has fully programmable buttons and controls including a separate Throttle unit (you can even get replacement handles from other aircraft) and is made of Aluminium. Also the most expensive.

Saitek make a slightly less intimidating joystick but still quite feature packed, called the Rhino. This has fewer buttons but is a good middle ground joystick. This also has a separate Throttle unit.

Logitech make a range of entry level joysticks such as the Wingman 3D and has around 7 or 8 buttons but has an integrated throttle lever in the joystick base.

The only problem I can think of would be Device Drivers for the joysticks, I am not sure that these old games would recognise the new Plug and Play connectivity new joysticks have or whether the games have been adapted to recognise them.
Hopefully it's a bit of info you can start your research from.

kind regards,

For Tyeth

Rogue Sqadron 3D 1 year 2 months ago #52919

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 560
For Tyeth wrote:
Hi Borommakot,
The only problem I can think of would be Device Drivers for the joysticks, I am not sure that these old games would recognise the new Plug and Play connectivity new joysticks have or whether the games have been adapted to recognise them.
Aye, definitely a primary concern. Thanks for the starting point, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Rogue Sqadron 3D 3 months 3 weeks ago #73359

• JediRabbi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I re-played this game on Steam a few months ago. It was just as addictive and frustrating as I remembered!

It's funny... On the one hand, the game is filled with control errors, especially on modern computers. The camera angles are frustrating and the graphics are misleading. On the other hand, it's definitely Star Wars. Intensely, gloriously set in the universe we know and love.

My 6-year-old referred to it as "that cool, annoying game". That's about right! ;)
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• The Wait Begins 4.0 (746 Posts)
    • I just ordered an Initiate tier Acolyte hilt from the Etsy shop. It will be interesting to see how...
    • hitoren? (41 Posts)
    • Anyone got the saber yet? I heard from some backers that the saber that came are already damaged. I...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (746 Posts)
    • Ordered my Heretic Warrior saber May 9 2017, Still waiting, and no shipment notification yet. I...
    • Custom Saber Build: GF (1 Posts)
    • To help justify the cost of making my own saber I needed to make one for my girlfriend as well....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5272
  • Latest Member: AlbertKt
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4697
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 8
  • Yesterday Answer: 10