Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam/GOG now the same!

X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam/GOG now the same! 1 year 1 month ago #54348

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 77
UPDATE: THE STATEMENTS IN THE ORIGINAL POST ARE THANKFULLY NO LONGER RELEVANT

As of May 3, 2016, Disney has updated their Steam entries for X-Wing and Tie Fighter to include the sorely lacking Collector's CD-ROM editions (from 1994/1995). So it's not longer undesirable to acquire the Steam versions as opposed to the GOG versions! :) The GOG versions still do come with bonus extras like strategy guides and whatnot, but the all the game versions themselves are included at both sources now. So game on any way you like!

(For the DOS versions you can still play DRM-free since they are DOS games and can't be tied to Steam. The same might be true for the 1998 remastered versions)

Original post:

Pro tip for anybody considering buying the Tie Fighter or X-Wing games from Steam. Don't. Buy them instead from GOG. Long story short, you get more with the GOG release and it's DRM-free to boot, while the Steam release is missing content and is obviously tied to the Steam client (well, partially, but I'll explain that later at the end).

When they were first released on GOG (Steam release came later) they came with two versions each for both games: the standard original floppy disk DOS version and a special Windows edition (released in 1998). The original floppy versions had low-res art/no 3D textures, text only, and an iMuse original MIDI soundtrack which changed dynamically during gameplay depending on what happened (subtle music when nothing's going on, battle music when enemy ships show up, etc) and the Windows editions had hi-res artwork/3D textures, speech, but a redbook-only non-dynamic soundtrack with music just lazily stolen from the movie scores which didn't change depending on what was happening in the game. This was especially an affront to Tie Fighter who, unlike X-Wing which used MIDI adaptations of the movie scores, had a fantastic entirely original soundtrack composed by Clint Bajakian. A little later on the exact same packages for each game were released on Steam.

What Steam has:

X-Wing:
-1993 (DOS floppy disk)
-1998 (Windows CD)

Tie Fighter:
-1994 (DOS floppy disk)
-1998 (Windows CD + expansion)

The missing content:

Strangely missing in both releases were X-Wing's 1994 Collectors' CD version and Tie Fighter's 1995 Collector's CD version which were DOS versions that had low res artwork (though, it was capable up to 640x480 resolution where the floppy version was tied to 320x200 only), but had speech and retained the dynamic iMusic MIDI soundtrack. So it was the best of both worlds. It didn't look QUITE as good as the Windows version, but looked better than the original floppy release and had the fantastic dynamic iMuse MIDI music system that the Windows version was sorely lacking as well as spoken speech, which meant that Tie Fighter's complete original soundtrack was intact. Fans cried out in dismay over this baffling oversight and eventually GOG added the Collectors' CD versions to their releases. Steam, however, never did. So what this means is for the same price as Steam you'll get the third missing and (arguably) best versions of each game for the same price and they're DRM-free (you don't need a client like Steam to play them).

What GOG has:

X-Wing:
-1993 (DOS floppy disk)
-1994 (DOS Collector's CD)
-1998 (Windows CD)
+Manual, reference card, strategy guide

Tie Fighter:
-1994 (DOS floppy disk)
-1995 (DOS Collector's CD)
-1998 (Windows CD + expansion)
+2x Manuals, 2x reference cards, 2x strategy guides, TIE FIGHTER Stele Chronicles

Now, technically the Steam versions can also be DRM-free if you play the DOS versions only. You can just take them out of Steam's game folder and use your own installation of DOSBox to play outside of Steam no problem since Steam just uses DOSBox to play them anyway. This isn't the case for the Windows version. But again, the GOG version is a better choice all around.

I hope this is helpful in advising people on which version to buy if you're interested in these games! They are true classics and I highly recommend the Collector's CD versions of both titles, so if you're interested please do yourself a favour and get more for your money by buying the GOG versions!
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by MusicallyInspired.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam vs GOG releases 1 year 1 month ago #54362

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1065
I agree wholeheartedly. I bought the GoG versions, and they come with everything, including PDF files of game manuals, and strategy guides!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: MusicallyInspired

X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam vs GOG releases 1 year 1 month ago #54408

• BZArcher
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 90
Hmmm. I got steam verions through the humble bundle and hadn't realized how incomplete it was. I def. want the DOS CD versions, so I guess I'll be buying them twice... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: MusicallyInspired

X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam vs GOG releases 1 year 1 month ago #54465

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
I was thinking about when Humble Bundle was going to do a new Star Wars bundle. You wouldn't suggest buying any games from them that are Star Wars?
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam vs GOG releases 1 year 1 month ago #54579

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
The bundle itself was a great deal. We just got the Steam versions of X-Wing and Tie. I actually had no idea there was another version until this thread.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by BoostinIX.

X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam vs GOG releases 1 year 1 month ago #54664

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 822
Hi everyone,

Not sure whether this is news to you guys or not, but I have just read on Polygon.com that GOG are having a Star Wars Day, week long sale (ends 8th May 8ET). They are selling titles from the Blaster Bundles and Saber Bundles at a discount and for the first time will be selling Shadows of the Empire at $4.79.

Apologies if this is old news, I'm not that involved in PC gaming but I know you guys and Gals are, I hope this is useful to ya,

For Tyeth

X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam vs GOG releases 1 year 1 month ago #54993

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Great news, people! As of yesterday, Steam updated their entries for X-Wing and Tie Fighter to include the missing CD-ROM Collector's editions!! So this thread is pointless (and I spent so much time on it too lol).

Well, you still don't get the nice extras that GOG mostly gives with their entries, but still. Nice one, Disney!
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by MusicallyInspired.

X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam vs GOG releases 1 year 1 month ago #55033

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
They did? That is awesome of Steam! About time they did that.
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam vs GOG releases 1 year 1 month ago #55064

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1065
I think I would still get the GoG versions just because there is no Steam necessary. Basically, I can put the .ZIP install files on a thumb-drive and carry my entire collection of LucasArts games anywhere I might want to play them. Hell, they would probably run from a thumb-drive with a little tinkering.

I actually have a Steam account, I have just never been real thrilled about having to use it to play certain games.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

X-Wing & Tie Fighter - Steam vs GOG releases 1 year 1 month ago #55069

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Not that I wouldn't favour GOG, but for these particular games you don't need Steam to play them (I mentioned that earlier). But again, the goodies come with GOG too.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Man-Cation! (4 Posts)
    • Hi there, Trouble getting a connection, hmmm? [attachment] You should try Coruscant Communication...
    • Man-Cation! (4 Posts)
    • Speak for yourself..... Now where did I put those matches....
    • Man-Cation! (4 Posts)
    • Have fun, and don't worry we will try not to burn the forums down. :)
    • FAQ Update (16 Posts)
    • Personally, I think that this is an excellent idea. Is there also someplace on the forums where we...
    • Man-Cation! (4 Posts)
    • I am going to be camping with the guys for the next 4 days, where cell/data service is very spotty....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5274
  • Latest Member: VikusiBoymn
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4700
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 16
  • Yesterday Answer: 10