Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Prodigal Son.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #43913

• harvey415
  • Thank you received: 12
So I finally got my Prodigal Son Champion edition 12w a few weeks ago. It is a beautiful piece of artwork. It feel great in the hands and who don't like a good ROTJ Luke Skywalker lightsaber. The 12w led is super bright with its v4 infinity blade. It light up a room in broad daylight with the curtain down.

I notice one thing that bumped me out and maybe other should know about since they are forking out $$$ on this piece of artwork. Seems like the newer Prodigal Son Champion edition comes with a brass thin neck instead of a copper thin neck as seen with others older models. I've not done a real scratch test so hopefully it is at least brass and not a coat of brass paint.... another users mention in the forum that it can be scratch off. I scratch it lightly and doesn't seem to be scratching off.

I really wish it was listed in the description on the esty or saberforge website as I'm sure many would consider copper over brass. As noted with another user. The PS crystal reveal version description on esty does mention of a copper materiel used by not the champion edition.

Here is a few pictures to show the brass. Just to let future buyer know what they are getting into so no surprise.

I would had preferred copper but looking at the brass it is growing on me as it is the same color as the activation box side pieces. All and all it looks like it goes together.

Customer Service on repair was super fast. About a week turnover time and cause it was send with loose parts SF payed for shipping back to them which is a plus. Had an issues with loose led and parts. However, blade had issue and was send in along with hilt. Haven't gotten back the blade which doesn't make sense. Still waiting on hearing back from customer service on that part.

Another thing I notice was that the grenade section get warm where the led sits. It is normal as I was told by others and it happens more offend with thin neck sabers. Just a thing to know if you do get one. Don't be alarm.

Hope this help other buyers.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by harvey415. Reason: missing some words
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Renaissance1459

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44045

• Renaissance1459
  • "I am a Jedi...like my father before me!"
  • Thank you received: 34
Thanks a lot for the review, harvey415! And thank you for pointing out the brass-and-not-copper thing, so I wouldn't be so surprised when I received my own PS next month (here's hoping :lol: )

Do you think the brass is a reasonable substitute for the copper? Would you rate your PS as highly as you would had it come with copper?

I'm so sorry to hear about your issues regarding loose LED and in-hilt components as well as your blade. I hope SF will rectify your problems soon, and I hope mine will come without any problem whatsoever :)

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44054

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 613
I'm looking at your pictures and seeing an orange copper color, not a yellow brass. I really don't see any issue. Were you expecting a dark brown aged copper/bronze?

Also, the plated/coated aluminum neck helps with durability. There's another saber builder supposedly using actual brass in their thin necks, and there've been reports of those necks breaking with use. Pure copper would be a relatively soft metal that might very well bend with use.

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44068

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 293
I agree with Kouri.

There was nothing wrong with the finish in this hilt you have pictured. It looks exactly like my Prodigal Son that I ordered in July and received in September and it looks just like the stock photos

It's not real copper (as mentioned by Kouri), copper is soft and breaks easier as does real brass. The brass and copper used are mostly anodized or powder coated aluminum. Real copper and brass would also be more expensive in material costs. So to reiterate, there was nothing wrong with the colour here.

As for the led rattle. I had the same issue in mine. Seemed to be an issue with the snap ring not seated properly. Took me a few seconds to fix it without sending it back and have had no issues since.

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44069

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
  • Some sentients aren't after anything logical. Some sentients just want to watch the galaxy burn.
  • Thank you received: 90
Kouri is absolutely correct about solid copper (or brass, which is made from copper) being too soft to withstand dueling. So those parts are at most electroplated. Still a beautiful saber though, enhoy it.
I am chaos in order's guise.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Darth Vexing.

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44077

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 43
NeBosa wrote:

As for the led rattle. I had the same issue in mine. Seemed to be an issue with the snap ring not seated properly. Took me a few seconds to fix it without sending it back and have had no issues since.

Can you maybe explain that a little better, as in how you accessed the snap ring and got it seated properly? I have a big rattle in my recently received Redeemer, and I'd love to get everything situated properly. It doesn't seem that I can access this through the emitter end and I haven't pulled the speaker and internal out as I didn't know if that could effect the warranty.

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44108

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 293
My section threads weren't glued together. So I was able to untwist the grenade section part above the control box to access the led and snap ring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salacious B Crumb

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44142

• harvey415
From other review on youtube and pictures it is a darker color copper so it should be full copper. Brass has copper and zinc added to it. It is stronger than copper like you mention and it has a alloy finish mostly use for decorative items. I think it has better anti corrosion properties too.

The brass has grown on me as i mention. It matches the activation box. If it was a darker pure copper piece it won't be matching. However, I'm sure it is not a pure copper piece like the one they made before. That why I mention it.

The bottom of the thin neck section piece one that goes into the grenade section supposedly need to be glue in I guess. While the led has a C ring lock. If that ring falls off. It will rattle and if the bottom thread of the thin neck that goes into the grenade section is not secure it will wiggle around.

If you want to get to the C-ring lock to lock the LED. I believe the bottom of the grenade section can be screw off too for easier access.

here a picture from Darth Floyd post. As you can see the C-ring can be access from the bottom of the grenade section.

*Update on my blade. Melissa at customer service was nice enough to resend me a new blade.

Interestingly enough the prodigal son crystal reveal version might be still using the pure copper as it is not warranty for duel. Whereas the non crystal reveal version of the prodigal son is warranty for dueling so brass thin neck.

Anyways, has anybody vigorously duel with their thin neck saber yet? If so how is it holding up?
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by harvey415.

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44179

• harvey415
Renaissance1459 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the review, harvey415! And thank you for pointing out the brass-and-not-copper thing, so I wouldn't be so surprised when I received my own PS next month (here's hoping :lol: )

Do you think the brass is a reasonable substitute for the copper? Would you rate your PS as highly as you would had it come with copper?

I'm so sorry to hear about your issues regarding loose LED and in-hilt components as well as your blade. I hope SF will rectify your problems soon, and I hope mine will come without any problem whatsoever :)

It still look really nice. The fact that it is stronger with brass is a plus in my book. Also, it matches the activation box side pieces. However, pure copper probably have that ancient look to it that make it stands out. All and all I still like it and you probably will enjoy it when you get it the more you look at it. Plus you can duel with it ;)

If you have any issues which I hope you don't. Customer service will take care of you. So don't worry as they are fast with replies and repair time is around 1 week turnaround. Just don't keep emailing them for status updates since they don't give out status update or tracking. The more you email them the more time it will take away from making these wonderful sabers and repair. It will arrive one day unexpectedly like it is Christmas all over again.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by harvey415.

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44193

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
  • How hard can rocket science be anyway?
  • Thank you received: 143
About the "vigorously duel with a thin neck saber" thing, I don't know of dueling, though I assume it holds up fine, but I do remember Shameem (DarthMario(nintey-something)) whacked his Exhalted (another thin neck) against a tree really hard a couple of times with no ill effects other than some scuffs on the blade, if that helps.
The above post may be subject to editing. A lot of editing.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by RyanRising. Reason: "Duel" is not "fowl", iPhone.

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44201

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
harvey415 wrote:

Interestingly enough the prodigal son crystal reveal version might be still using the pure copper as it is not warranty for duel. Whereas the non crystal reveal version of the prodigal son is warranty for dueling so brass thin neck.

Anyways, has anybody vigorously duel with their thin neck saber yet? If so how is it holding up?

I ordered both the elite and CR PS, so when they come in (hopefully together) I'll be sure to do a review comparing the two of the think neck material and see if they are the same (I would think they would be but who knows). You could have a point with the warranty issue on CR PS. And I will definitely be dueling with my Elite version!
- Light em up

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 4 months ago #44451

• harvey415
Great! Can't wait to see your review and comparison Andi-Jae EL. Thanks for the info Ryan-Rising regarding the dueling of the thin neck sabers.

Prodigal son champion 12w+ 2015 model changed 1 year 3 months ago #47157

• harvey415
So got a definite answer regarding copper or brass from customer service which by the way is amazing with responding and working out issues.

They say that it is copper that has been anodized and it will look different from hilt to hilt.

Prodigal son champion 12w+ 2015 model changed 1 year 3 months ago #47174

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
  • Thank you received: 123
That's a very nice looking hilt. I've never been a fan of thin necks, but I must admit the Prodigual Son is a very nice saber. Congratulations on your purchase, and thumbs up for your review my friend ;)!
"Honor is a fool's price. Honor is of no use to the dead."

- Custom SaberForge Monarch
- Vader's Vault REV-N Elite + Graflex
- Korbanth Kylo Ren
The following user(s) said Thank You: harvey415

Prodigal son champion 12w+ 2015 model changed 1 year 3 months ago #47273

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
harvey415 wrote:
So got a definite answer regarding copper or brass from customer service which by the way is amazing with responding and working out issues.

They say that it is copper that has been anodized and it will look different from hilt to hilt.

Thanks for getting the official word on this. I know there was a lot of guess work for a while whether it was real copper.
- Light em up

Prodigal son champion 12w+ 2015 model changed 1 year 3 months ago #47326

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
harvey415 wrote:

Andi-Jae EL wrote:
Thanks for getting the official word on this. I know there was a lot of guess work for a while whether it was real copper.

Either the CSR is mistaken, or Harvey misunderstood the answer. Copper doesn't anodize. "Copper anodizing" is a thing, yes, but no actually copper is involved. 6061 aluminum is electrochimcaly treated to produce a durable, transparent layer of aluminum oxide (artificial sapphire) on the outside. While normally clear, this layer accepts dye, so colored anodizing is available. "Copper anodizing" basically means dunking a piece of anodized aluminum into a bath of orange-brown dye.

Heck, we have a forum topic here where a member tried to polish his " copper" neck and accidentally wore through the anodized finish, exposing the raw aluminum underneath.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=, harvey415

Prodigal son champion 12w+ 2015 model changed 1 year 3 months ago #47452

• harvey415
Here the original email so you all can transcribe it all you want.

I'm no metal expert but i found this so call "copper" piece looking different from previous prodigal son model. That's why i brought up this question since the beginning. It seems that you clarify something and even have some proof from user trying to polishing their thin neck only to review aluminum underneath the anodized copper paint or whatever you want to call it. So if your statement is correct. First i know not to polish my thin neck and we are all sitting on aluminum thin neck that has been so call, "copper anodized" to look like copper. So don't go off melting your thin neck thinking you can make some pretty penny out it :whistle:

At least to me it still look nice and aluminum probably stranger than pure copper i assume. Just a little bump out it is not pure copper as mentioned in older video review and seen in pictures

If people are interested in reading about it. The person in question that polish their thin neck is under the thread, "Prodigal Son neck discovery" search for it.

thanks for the clarification and science behind it
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by harvey415.

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 3 months ago #47519

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
That's unfortunate that it's not a real piece of copper. But why does Jordan Moll describe it as such during his review? Is it possible he just assumed it was? It still looks really nice though.

- Light em up

Prodigal son champion 12w 2015 model changed 1 year 3 months ago #47545

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Jordan is indeed mistaken - but good anodizing can look like other metals.

I ran into that issue a few months ago at work when I was handed a piece of brass to machine - but it was cutting a lot easier than I thought it would. Turns out it was just yellow-anodized aluminum.

The difference becomes apparent with age. Polished copper has a pink-brown look to it that can be replicated via anodizing. Polished brass a shiny yellow. But when the brass and copper age and oxidize, they develop a patina, usually turning dark brown. An anodized piece will remain the same color, though, so long as it isn't exposed to high heat.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5313
  • Latest Member: GruntBeard
  • Total Posts: 56.4k
  • Total Topics: 4719
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0