Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Prodigal Son.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48007

• BrickMacklin
  • Thank you received: 10
I received my Prodigal Son yesterday and I must say I was very excited to get it. My saber took 11 and 1/2 weeks to get here and the wait was well worth it. I use lightsabers for my Luke costume and so far I have been using a converted Master Replicas hilt. This is definitely a step up in the looks and sound department. Comparison pictures are below. After swinging around for awhile I have assembled a pros and cons list of this hilt.

Pros:

1. Sound. I love the snap-hiss the movie hilt makes and I love it here. Absolute beautiful noise and I smile every time.

2. No LED rattle or sharp edges. I've heard others having this problem but I'm happy to not have it. May not be a pro since this is to be expected however it's a good thing to not have.

3. Flicker. Love the small or large flicker I can set. Have it to slight flicker right now just like the film.

4. Overall look. Again this is to be expected since this is what I ordered but the fact that it looks so much more like Luke's saber compared to my MR hilt is the greatest pro to me having this hilt.

Cons:

1. Slide card fell out. This was within ten minutes of me owning the saber. Slide card immediately fell off and I could not get it to stay in for the longest time due to the button. I will explain that below. Right not it is secured with a piece of tape. I wish this was not necessary.

2. Button. I do not know if this was something I should have researched beforehand but the button in the control box can be pressed far enough down that it clicks into place. Doing so puts you right into the menu and unable to edit the settings since it skips right through each one. I eventually figured out how to edit everything by lightly pressing the button so that it doesn't stick down. This is also how I figured out to keep the card in place. Except it still needs the tape to keep it from sliding.

3. Copper piece looks pink. Personal and very small annoyance that I will get over.

4. There is a very slight wobble to the blade. I have a 37 inch blade that can feel a little top heavy so I believe that contributes. But due to the way the hilt has to be constructed the blade cannot sit down very far. Even with the retention screw as tight as it can be without breaking the blade there is still a small wobble. Nothing major and I can only feel it when I am swinging it around.

Overall great lightsaber. I highly recommend picking one up.

----
BrickMacklin
RL Luke Skywalker
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyanRising, sepultura510

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48010

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1096
Great saber! Congrats!

I think the wobble can be all but eliminated if you do two things. First, ensure that the blade is ALL the way down in the socket. Some blades have rough edges, and protrusions that keep it from reaching the bottom without a little extra encouragement.

Second, crank the retention screw a bit more. Obviously, you don't want to go so far as to break the blade, but since the emitter socket is so shallow, it takes a little more than usual to hold it steady. A good, secure blade will show dimples from the retention screw when it is out of the emitter. Don't let those scare you. With my Exhalted, I turn the retention screw until I make good contact, then at least another half, to full turn, and there absolutely no wobble. Hopefully, it will be the same for you.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrickMacklin, sepultura510

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48013

• BrickMacklin
Brax wrote:
Great saber! Congrats!

I think the wobble can be all but eliminated if you do two things. First, ensure that the blade is ALL the way down in the socket. Some blades have rough edges, and protrusions that keep it from reaching the bottom without a little extra encouragement.

Second, crank the retention screw a bit more. Obviously, you don't want to go so far as to break the blade, but since the emitter socket is so shallow, it takes a little more than usual to hold it steady. A good, secure blade will show dimples from the retention screw when it is out of the emitter. Don't let those scare you. With my Exhalted, I turn the retention screw until I make good contact, then at least another half, to full turn, and there absolutely no wobble. Hopefully, it will be the same for you.

I will see if I can screw it in a bit more when I get home. there is definitely an indent from where I have been screwing it in and I have pressed as far as it can be.
----
BrickMacklin
RL Luke Skywalker

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48031

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
Congrats BrickMacklin,
That looks great and you nailed the look of Luke from ROTJ. Glad to see another PS review! I read about the LED rattle too, so great to hear that yours is not doing that. Sorry to hear about the slide card. That seems to be happening to a few PS sabers. Here is a good thread to review if you have not already. A few forum members have been trying to solve their issue with some success. Hope it helps. Where did you get your belt clip for the tri-ring if you don't mind me asking?
- Light em up

The following user(s) said Thank You: bro2044, BrickMacklin

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48033

• BrickMacklin
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
Congrats BrickMacklin,
That looks great and you nailed the look of Luke from ROTJ. Glad to see another PS review! I read about the LED rattle too, so great to hear that yours is not doing that. Sorry to hear about the slide card. That seems to be happening to a few PS sabers. Here is a good thread to review if you have not already. A few forum members have been trying to solve their issue with some success. Hope it helps. Where did you get your belt clip for the tri-ring if you don't mind me asking?

I bought the entire belt from the website Saberbelt here. Thanks for the costume compliment, a friend of mine worked hard to make it. I will check out that link thank you.
----
BrickMacklin
RL Luke Skywalker

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48035

• Darth Crain
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 71
Congratulations BrickMacklin

That is a gorgeous Saber that will compliment your luke Skywalker costume. .. great choice. . Have fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrickMacklin

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48040

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 827
Hi BrickMacklin,

Wow! Another gorgeous Prodigal Son! Can you imagine the family re-union if all of these Prodigal Sons got together!

Glad to see you know how to grip it properly (I sense that you have studied Luke quite closely!)

I do have to say you haven't made my deliberations over my next Saber any easier, I fear I'm really gonna have to save up and get a Prodigal Son!

I hope this Icon serves you long and well into the future, well done,

For Tyeth

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48054

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 139
Another great Prodigal Son! It completes your costume very nicely! I've said it before--i think Luke's ROTJ lightsaber is the best one of them all, Congrats & Enjoy!

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48057

• Gaelis
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Wow, such a cool costume and your saber just finishes it off! Congrats on a great purchase!
For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Gaelis.

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48068

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
  • How hard can rocket science be anyway?
  • Thank you received: 143
Brax wrote:
Great saber! Congrats!

And if this doesn't work, try what I did with my wobbly blade: wrap some tape around the base. I don't know if that'll work well with a thin-neck, but it worked for me with my Venomous Fury.
The above post may be subject to editing. A lot of editing.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by RyanRising. Reason: Clarity, and because I like editing. As you can see in my sig.

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48082

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
BrickMacklin RL Luke Skywalker hasn't just received a Prodigal Son, The Prodigal Son has just been reunited with his Lightsaber! Congratulations with your receipt and the praise extended how your (regular) attire compliments your Saber needs to be echoed. Thank you for sharing your Review with such an iconic and highly sought after Hilt.

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48118

• BrickMacklin
I figured out a way a way to fix the slide card! I'll give a small tutorial to what I did. I used 97 cent adhesive magnet strips from Walmart.

Slide the card out of the control box. Have the kill key in so the saber does not turn on. Cut one magnet strip into two small squares. Stick one onto the end of the slide card next to the round edges.

Stick the other magnet square on top of the screw sitting above the activation button.

Now slide the card back in and you should be good to go.

I want to replace these with slightly stronger magnets but so far this hasn't caused the card to move unless I physically put pressure on the strip. I've swung it around and it has stayed in place. Hope this helps those with similar problems!
----
BrickMacklin
RL Luke Skywalker
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro2044, OvrcAHst, Renaissance1459, sepultura510, ajeekenobi

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48121

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
RL Luke Skywalker, this tip will prove invaluable to many. A great tip from The Prodigal Son for all current and future Prodigal Son owners. (when Kragle doesn't cut it)

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48333

• nUcLeArEnVoY
  • Thank you received: 23
Congratulations, man! Beautiful saber. Man, this has me even more excited for mine. I'll be hitting 11 weeks on Wednesday and I'm still at "Confirmed." :(

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 3 months ago #48491

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
It's great to see another of the long awaited PS buyers receiving their new saber. Congrats buddy, and welcome to the Emerald Knights!

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

Prodigal Son 12 Watt Champion Edition 1 year 2 months ago #52206

• Autski
  • Thank you received: 7
Thanks for the post! I was really curious since I just ordered a PS two days ago.
Own: Avenger, Arctic Blue, 12w Champ
Waiting: Prodigal Son, Green 12w Champ
Acolyte, Purple 12w Champ (wife)
Wish:
Bastion, Red 12w Champ
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5313
  • Latest Member: GruntBeard
  • Total Posts: 56.4k
  • Total Topics: 4719
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0