Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Prodigal Son.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine!

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 2 months ago #52965

• nUcLeArEnVoY
  • Thank you received: 23
So I am finally able to do my review of my PS. I got it this past Thursday and I was in love with it at first sight, but I had already planned on doing some modifications to it to make it a little more film accurate. But until I get to that, I'll go ahead and review it first.

Right when I opened the box, I was able to see that this was a quality piece of work. The weight alone makes you appreciate the saber as well as the detailing. One thing I did notice that was wrong on mine was that the black greeblie on the control box was kind of mispositioned from the factory... and I'm not referring to its inaccurate placement at the bottom end of the control box. Part of the greeblie on my saber was literally hanging off the edge of the control box toward the back. Not a big deal, I wanted to reposition it, anyhow.

The copper side rails of the control box also broke off on mine, so I had to use a two-part epoxy to glue them back on, which wasn't a big deal, and of course the control card on mine was sliding too easy. My trick was to place an adhesive-backed foam strip to the end of the card and also on the control box below it, which provides enough traction so that the card doesn't move easily.

The machining on the saber is absolutely amazing. Clean, crisp edges, the grenade section grip is very comfortable, and contrary to the usual criticism, I like the pinkish tone to the copper on the neck. Though, I am kind of disappointed it's not actual copper. Granted, true copper would tarnish incredibly fast, which is why most copper-finished products are also clear-coated which is an option.

I haven't had any electronics issues with my PS. After a full charge, it started right up and was as bright as day with quality, bassy sound that is quite satisfying to the ears; especially the accurate snap-hiss activation sound.

Now with mine, to make it more movie accurate I went ahead and did some tweaks to the control box and they are as follows:

- I removed the black greeblie from the spot it was glued on from the factory. For those who want a more film-accurate saber, this modification is very easy to do. The greeblie is only glued on and there is no milled inset or indentation, the area it's glued onto is flat like the rest of the control box surface. Just pry it off, use a two-part epoxy and glue it at the top of the control box right below the copper siderail where it should be. I did this and it makes all the difference.

- Also sanded down the anodized finish on the greeblie and repainted black and layered it with clear coat to give it a nice gloss.

- I had a few Kingbright triangular LEDs that have the same general shape as the arrows they inset and paint on the PS, but unfortunately they're not similarly sized. So what I did was I just snipped off the ends of the LEDs (didn't plan on making them functional), sanded them down a bit and glued them right onto the painted insets. At least now it looks like the triangles are actual, separate parts rather than just painted insets.

- And finally, I drilled two holes the same size as the milled screw accents that SF puts into the control box under the arrows and glued in two brass slotted screws like with the actual prop. Even turned the screws until the slots were facing the same direction as they should. The screws had to be ground down to size to fit, since they were originally a head diameter of almost 5mm and I grinded them down until they were about 3.8mm. I don't think you'll be able to find a screw that fits perfectly from the get-go. This was a pretty invasive modification, but I'm glad with how it turned out.

Wasn't able to accomplish these mods without putting a couple small nicks and scratches into the aluminum but I don't care. No lightsaber in the SW universe is going to look perfect and clean, not to mention now it is way more film-accurate.

Thanks for reading, and I absolutely love this thing! WIthout further adieu, PHOTOS!

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeBosa, jonrice, Eddlyss64, OvrcAHst, DK44, LSkywalker3, sepultura510

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 2 months ago #52968

• LSkywalker3
  • Thank you received: 48
So happy to see you got your PS! Just wondering, when you took the black greeblie off of the control box, did it leave a spot of glue? That is something I would like to do to mine.
"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

Own: 12W+ Green Champion Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 2 months ago #52970

• nUcLeArEnVoY
  • Thank you received: 23
Yes, but acetone takes it right off without damaging the finish.

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 2 months ago #52972

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
Very happy to see you finally got your PS! I like some of the mods you did to make it a little more screen accurate. Glad to know your electronics are ok so far but sucks the rails were already off before you had it more than a day. Another PS has found it's home. It's nice seeing these pics and reading more reviews on the PS. Makes the time go by a little faster. Thanks.
- Light em up

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 2 months ago #52973

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1096
Awesome saber sir!

I love my Exhalted, but I have always felt that my collection could never be complete without both Luke's and Obi-Wan's thin-necks as a part of it. Yours, and the other fine PS that have been reviewed here in the last couple of weeks just keep underscoring my conviction on that point.

I am not sure I am quite the stickler for movie accurate detail that you are, but your mods definitely add that little extra touch makes so much difference to those that look for it, and a fine job you made of it as well!

Congrats on the saber!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 2 months ago #53002

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 139
I like those green & red arrows you put on there--looks good! Nice review & pics! Congrats & Enjoy!

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 2 months ago #53033

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
That is very sweet. I just ordered one and am very excited to get it in the coming months!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 2 months ago #53196

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 300
The PS is just a beautiful hilt and the little mods you've done have just made yours even better! I know it's been a bit of a rough wait for you but I'm glad you got yours and love it. Congratulations.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 2 months ago #53211

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
Agreed with everyone here, the PS is a classic beauty. I love the small subtle modifications you have done. Beautiful saber and congrats.
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 2 months ago #54391

• DarthSauron
  • "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural"
  • Thank you received: 42
Its always nice to see a PS. You have a gorgeous classic saber there. Enjoy!

Champion tier Venom, SaberCore Crimson, Weathered Finish, 12W+ Red LED

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 1 month ago #55821

• jonrice
  • Thank you received: 4
AWESOME!!

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 1 month ago #55836

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 293
Rad work man.

I completely dig and appreciate the write up and the photos. You've inspired me to try these to mine. The SF version is still an awesome saber, but with those little details you brought it to the next level. I love how it turned out.

Prodigal Son 12w Champion... finally got mine! 1 year 1 month ago #55990

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 293
Well…
Here's my progress so far. I was so stoked on seeing this thread last night that I actually moved the black greeblie closer to the rails right after seeing it. Then today I took the saber to work and during my break I drilled it out and installed a couple 8-32 brass set screws that I had. Now I'm just waiting for the small 3 x 4.5mm triangular LEDs.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5313
  • Latest Member: GruntBeard
  • Total Posts: 56.4k
  • Total Topics: 4719
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119