Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Prodigal Son.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Another Prodigal Son finds a home.

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #57926

• Sh3ppy
  • Thank you received: 5
After patiently waiting for my very first ever Sabeforge hilt, it arrived just today. I decided to go with the Prodigal Son as it has always been at the very top of my list, and am I glad i did!

The machining seems excellent with no sharp edges or flaws, and it's a perfect weight to hold. May consider getting a shorter blade next time to see how that affects the overall weight when swinging it about (or spinning for those more proficient folks). The sound is loud(!) & very clear. Blaster bolt deflection is a great addition too.

I haven't had time to take many photos but here are 2 I quickly took.

An observation- in the 2nd pic, where the grenade handle joins the part where the control box sits, it seems the black section in between is longer than most other PS I've seen. Maybe it's the new parts they're using but it did stand out to me. Doesn't bother me at all but it was something I noticed pretty quickly. I'll add more photos over the weekend but here are 2 for now.

Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Sh3ppy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, OvrcAHst, Renaissance1459, DK44

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #57927

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 139
Awesome saber!! Pics look great!....you are correct about the black part on the grenade section, it is slightly different as well as the end piece where the speaker vent is. I think those are the parts they were waiting for. Still looks fantastic though! Congrats & Enjoy!

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #57928

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
Sh3ppy, Welcome to the Forum and Congratulations with successfully receiving such an iconic Hilt. You make an interesting observation regarding the lower part of the Grenade-section. Perhaps when time permitting you may like to share some measurements for comparison with possible version changes.
The ear to ear grin you must be wearing will last for a very long time as I'm sure many other Prodigal Son Owners will agree. There can never be too many Reviews of this Hilt and do remember to Post some more pictures. :)

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #57929

• Sh3ppy
Thanks, I'm delighted with it. Looking forward to getting home & 'sabering' about. Do you think any PS we see from now on will have the black part & speaker vent as seen on mine?

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #57930

• Sh3ppy
Thanks again! I will take some measurements over the weekend & share some more photos. I would imagine the wider part will make the hilt slightly longer than previous ones, if only by a few cms.

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #57937

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1096
No matter how many pictures of the Prodigal Son I see, it always makes my heart beat just a little quicker. Just classic!

Congrats my friend! Can't wait to hear more about your new saber!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #57973

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 293
It appears that the slightly longer grenade section is due to ASP.
I would say that the switch has the male end that threads into the female end of the bottom part of the grip where previous models had the male end on the grenade section and threaded into the female end in the switch.
Not sure what you mean by "speaker vents". But you may have had a different pommel installed on yours by looking at your one photo.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by NeBosa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #58103

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
Thanks for the review and sharing the updated pics of the PS. I also never get enough pics and reviews of this saber. Always nice to see a different take or review on it. I hope you get the chance to take your saber outside and have some fun with it. You should also take as much time as you want with it after your trial of patience has ended.

On a side note: I know it's a small detail but that thicker black segment on the grenade section may frustrate me a little. Anyone who has purchased this saber over the last 2-3 months were expecting what was in the picture on the website and now there are some slight changes. If SF were making these changes to the saber to be even more detailed and closer to canon, I don't think anyone would mind. But making this change (although small I grant you) takes it further away from screen accuracy. I know the PS is "loosely" based or "inspired by" Luke's ROTJ but it was nice the way it was. Having said that, I'm still looking forward to receiving mine soon.
- Light em up

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #58298

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Congrats on your beautiful saber. I also agree, though, that although the black section is a small thing, it is not consistent with the pictures. It will be interesting to see if other newer Prodigal sons have this.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #58308

• illiguy
  • Thank you received: 3
Yes, agree on the extra length before th grenade section. Can anyone confirm if this is the new standard on the PS?

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #58309

• illiguy
DK44 wrote:
Awesome saber!! Pics look great!....you are correct about the black part on the grenade section, it is slightly different as well as the end piece where the speaker vent is. I think those are the parts they were waiting for. Still looks fantastic though! Congrats & Enjoy!

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "those are the parts they are waiting for"?

Ideally, ASP or not, would love to have the older style black section that is thinner. Hoping this is just a temporary batch that came like this.

I ordered in March and am anxiously awaiting mine.

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #58310

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
HotRod wrote:
Congrats on your beautiful saber. I also agree, though, that although the black section is a small thing, it is not consistent with the pictures. It will be interesting to see if other newer Prodigal sons have this.

If you go back and check the pics from previous reviews, the last one with the stock SF photo PS pics was nuclearenvoy. And that was over a month ago. So anyone in the last few weeks receiving their PS has this change. The vented pommel is slightly different as well. The vent is smaller than in the past. The vent doesn't really bother me too much though. And like I said, I'm still looking forward to getting mine, just a heads up would have been nice.
- Light em up

The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRod

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #58363

• Ghost3789
  • Thank you received: 2
Very nice, Sh3ppy. Congrats on your first SF saber. Enjoy!

Can't wait to receive mine.

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #58367

• Renaissance1459
  • "I am a Jedi...like my father before me!"
  • Thank you received: 34
First of all, congratulations on being another proud owner of PS, Sh3ppy! Happy sabering!
HotRod wrote:
illiguy wrote:
Yes, agree on the extra length before th grenade section. Can anyone confirm if this is the new standard on the PS?
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
The vented pommel is slightly different as well. The vent is smaller than in the past.

If this could be of any help, I can confirm that this is exactly the same model of PS that I received a couple of days ago. I have not checked the vented pommel, though...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi-Jae EL

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 month ago #58387

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Thank you, Andi-Jae El and Renaissance1459. It still looks great and it's fairy close to screen accurate albeit a tiny bit larger.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by HotRod.

Another Prodigal Son finds a home. 1 year 1 day ago #62343

• illiguy
Renaissance1459 wrote:
First of all, congratulations on being another proud owner of PS, Sh3ppy! Happy sabering!
HotRod wrote:
illiguy wrote:
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
The vented pommel is slightly different as well. The vent is smaller than in the past.

If this could be of any help, I can confirm that this is exactly the same model of PS that I received a couple of days ago. I have not checked the vented pommel, though...

Just got my PS yesterday after ordering in early/mid-March. I can confirm that I have the new vented pommel, and, thankfully, I do NOT have the longer black ASP part near the grenade section. In short, mine looks like the model represented on the sales website.

I'm not a fan of the longer black section on the recent batch of sabers that others are reporting. What's interesting is that I sent an email to SF asking if the longer black part was the new standard on the PS and someone named India B. replied back that it was. Don't know how I dodged the bullet, but. Like I said, mine came in the old, more svelte style.

Regardless of whether you have the longer black part or not, we're all very lucky to own such an iconic, beautiful piece.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi-Jae EL
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5313
  • Latest Member: GruntBeard
  • Total Posts: 56.4k
  • Total Topics: 4719
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119