Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Prodigal Son.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 2 weeks ago #61102

• ProtoKun7
  • Thank you received: 13
Welcome to my first lightsaber ever, if we're not including the tiny ones that came with the action figures or my lasers which are about the size of a hilt and for which I have a blade attachment.

I decided to start out with a Prodigal Son, what with the Sequel Trilogy now in progress, and the sounds of the Viridian soundboard seem to fit Luke's lightsaber best. After a lot of thought and research I ordered this back in mid-March and after 14.5 weeks (including a delay, albeit brief, thanks to the absolutely wonderful Customs...) it's finally here and it's a wonderful piece.

The hilt itself was even larger than I was expecting; as I have larger than average hands I always expected a lightsaber to appear slightly smaller in comparison to how this one looks. That's not at all a complaint though; it's a great size and is more than manageable. It feels both nice and light for easy use while having an appropriate weight for the tool of a Jedi that it is.

The light is nice and bright; the accompanying blade seems to have its diffusion film slightly too long for me to fully insert the blade, resulting in some wobble and an insecure installation, so I haven't extensively tested it yet but it does look good in there. Once that's sorted I'll be able to try it a bit more.

The sound is brilliant; I was adjusting the settings and even the low setting is more than loud enough so far. That might change outside; I haven't tested it outside yet.

Even the activation box doesn't feel to be as intrusive as I thought it could be going from some comments around here. Possibly thanks to my hands, but it doesn't bother me at all.

I still need to get a belt clip for it though; accuracy compelled me to stick with the tri-ring rather than the Covertec clip. I wanted to get a D-ring holding clip from the Custom Saber Shop but apparently shipping a $3.75 piece to the UK includes a $49 shipping charge, so if anyone has any spare or can suggest a similar product without such a high shipping cost, please let me know.

I think the next pieces I'm hoping to get are a Guardian, slightly modified to include the more accurate knurled red activator, and the Redeemer, as my preferred colour is actually blue and Obi-Wan's lightsaber remains one of my favourite designs (in fact, both the general designs really appeal to me, though I'd prefer it if the Avenger had its activator in the same place that Obi-Wan's own lightsaber did).

After overhearing the discussions about a potential upgrade to the Sabercore which would include being able to change the sound fonts, I'm currently thinking of waiting to see what happens with that so that I can use a font which uses the slightly different sounds that the other lightsabers make. I suspect it would bother me having Qui-Gon's lightsaber ignite with the sound Luke's lightsaber makes, for instance.

All in all, I'm happy with this as a start to my collection.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, =Ottomatix=, Borommakot, OvrcAHst, Renaissance1459, DK44, LSkywalker3

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61114

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 139
Welcome to the Emerald Knights ProtoKun7! What an excellent choice for your first saberforge saber! Great review and awesome pics! My first saber also was the PS, its so iconic...i never get tired of reading people's reviews of them. Congrats & Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ProtoKun7

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61115

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 518
Welcome! Great way to start the collection with one canon saber. The Prodigal Son is very nice.
"I am the Senate"

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61116

• ProtoKun7
Indeed it is; the canon sabers are those I'm primarily interested in. What I didn't mention is that another saber I wouldn't mind getting is the Sorcerer, or rather two of them to make what would be my ideal lightsaber in the form of a blue-bladed saberstaff.

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61117

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
As Prophecy dictates, a New Prodigal Son has been born and as to be expected, of equal measure to its predecessor. Congratulations ProtoKun7 with not just eventual delivery achieved but a successful one. Whilst you write this is your first Saber ever it certainly will not be your last.

A desire to add to your Collection with a companion piece, perhaps with this Guardian? ;)

A truly remarkable piece that always stirs excitement whenever witness is sighted. Am yet to receive a SF ROTJ personally and has just occurred to me now, can you measure the length of just the grenade section foregrip only? I marvel at the grip comfort of another ROTJ and am curious now if the same comfort can be expected. I agree with your observation about the Box not being intrusive. It looks to have a higher lustre and sheen to the Finish almost as if it's been polished compared to others or maybe it results from the clarity of your photography. Congratulations and Thank you for sharing.
Hope you receive a quick outcome regarding your blade as discussed in the other Thread. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ProtoKun7

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61120

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 300
Very nice ProtoKun7. Very nice indeed. The PS is an awe-inspiring hilt. You just can't go wrong with it. Congrats.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61121

• ProtoKun7
OvrcAHst wrote:
A truly remarkable piece that always stirs excitement whenever witness is sighted. Am yet to receive a SF ROTJ personally and has just occurred to me now, can you measure the length of just the grenade section foregrip only?

If we're talking from the beginning of the black to the top of the last rib it's about 8.3 centimetres.

And yes, I'm hoping for a quick solution to the blade issue as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61124

• Renaissance1459
  • "I am a Jedi...like my father before me!"
  • Thank you received: 34
Congratulation on your new saber, ProtoKun7! As a fellow owner of PS, I know how happy you must be when you wield it for the very first time :)

I hope you could sort out your issue with the blade soon. Might it be possible that they gave you the regular blade instead of the thin-neck blade that PS, Redeemer, and Exhalted should be using?

By the way, I noticed from your picture that you received the PS that looks exactly like in SF main website catalogue. This is interesting because around May to early June, SF sent out 'slightly modified' version of their PSs like this one:

It has longer black part that connects the grenade section and the body switch, and also slightly larger part where the tri-ring located on their pommel.

But please don't get me wrong. I like both versions. Just want to point out the differences between them and how it seems SF sent out different versions between their batches of production.

Congratulations once again on being the proud owner of PS, ProtoKun7! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi-Jae EL

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61129

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
If we're talking from the beginning of the black to the top of the last rib it's about 8.3 centimetres.
Thank you ProtoKun7. I have right-on 7.5cm and it's comfortable, with that little extra to 8.3cm means if my hands ever become pudgier I'd still be fine. ;) Will have to compare them personally when it comes because just like yours there are 9Ribs and (right now) remain unsure where the difference lies. Thanks again.

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61130

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Wow, you hit the ground running right out of the gate with this one. Great review and congrats on your first saber! There a lot of us that have a saber collection but still pine for this one. Great choice!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61146

• ProtoKun7
Renaissance1459 wrote:
I hope you could sort out your issue with the blade soon. Might it be possible that they gave you the regular blade instead of the thin-neck blade that PS, Redeemer, and Exhalted should be using?

I don't think that's the case; the film isn't glued in and it is a bit shorter than the blade, it just isn't quite short enough. On the normal blades isn't the film both glued in and more or less the same length as the blade, meeting at the bottom?
Renaissance1459 wrote:
By the way, I noticed from your picture that you received the PS that looks exactly like in SF main website catalogue. This is interesting because around May to early June, SF sent out 'slightly modified' version of their PSs like this one:

It has longer black part that connects the grenade section and the body switch, and also slightly larger part where the tri-ring located on their pommel.

But please don't get me wrong. I like both versions. Just want to point out the differences between them and how it seems SF sent out different versions between their batches of production.

Hmm, I was unaware of that; I must say, I'm glad I received this version though.

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 week ago #61266

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
Congrats on getting your PS! I hope you are enjoying it. A great pick for your first SF saber! Great review, thanks for the pics.
- Light em up

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 1 year 1 day ago #62342

• illiguy
  • Thank you received: 3
Renaissance1459 wrote:
Congratulation on your new saber, ProtoKun7! As a fellow owner of PS, I know how happy you must be when you wield it for the very first time :)

Just got my PS yesterday after ordering in early March. It's beautiful and it is NOT the slightly modified PS with the fatter black part for ASP. Mine looks just like he model represents on the sale site.

A collection begins - Champion Tier Prodigal Son 11 months 1 week ago #64116

• ProtoKun7
A bit of a late update as I haven't checked in for a few days, but regarding the blade situation, they were kind enough to send out a new blade for me, with the correct length film, which was much appreciated.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5313
  • Latest Member: GruntBeard
  • Total Posts: 56.4k
  • Total Topics: 4719
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0