Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Redeemer.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Redeemer V2 Medium Blue

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 2 days ago #78672

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1784
Well, here we go for another ride on the “Way Back” machine! As was the case for my original review of my very first saber from Saber Forge (the Exhalted), nostalgia weighs heavy on my feelings for the Redeemer. Perhaps, even more so for this saber than the Exhalted. Mainly, because the Exhalted was my more duel-ready substitute for both the Prodigal Son, and the Redeemer. So, everything that I felt about that saber, goes double for the real thing! Obviously, the nostalgia to which I refer comes from my 1977 viewing(s) of Star Wars at the tender age of 15 (you do the math ;-))

The first time Obi-Wan’s saber became something more than an unfamiliar implement hanging from his belt, was in the cantina on Tatooine. You did not really get a good look at the saber itself in that moment. Just that bright blade which was used in short order to remove the lower arm of one Ponda Baba (I think that is the correct spelling). His buddy, according to Wookiepedia, Dr. Cornelius Evazan (the one who did all the trash talking to Luke) attempted to reattach that arm, using his days-gone-by skills as a surgeon, but damn near killed the Aqualish in the attempt, but I digress.

It was not until Obi-Wan was sneaking around the Death Star’s hallways, that you got a decent glace at the saber. I was intrigued by the thin-neck design, even if I did not know that’s what it was called at the time. The large flat emitter in particular grabbed my attention. I even remember the tiny holes that ring the top of it, next to the blade. Just another one of those many small details that made this universe one that people live in, and that the stuff they owned typically was not new, and shiny, but old and worn. Of course, we came to find out later that was exactly what Lucas wanted. A “lived-in” aesthetic that added a degree of realism to it all. It certainly worked for me, which helped make the movie that much more of a sentinel moment for that 15 year old kid!

So, fast forward to the recent past (about 2 ½ years ago), when I was wrestling with the decision of which saber to get from Saber Forge. Having recently become aware of them through my son, I knew I had to get one, but I knew that I had to take into consideration a lot of factors, as I had no idea if this would be the first of a collection, or a one-time thing. So, I had to make it count! Things like cost versus functionality became an important part of my evaluation, and research. I did not think I could justify a “shelf queen” at the time (which is how I had classified my other choices), and that was ultimately what helped make up my mind. So, out of the Prodigal Son, the Redeemer, and the Exhalted, I decided on the latter, because of its lack of a control box, making it more practical in my eyes. But, I already knew that, practicality aside, it was a substitute for what I really wanted, and that someday, that I just had to have both the Prodigal Son, and the Redeemer as well. It took all of that 2 ½ years, and a few sabers before them, before I finally accepted that it was time to get serious about the less practical ones, and get what I really yearned for! I actually got the Prodigal Son first, but have not reviewed it yet. There is a story in itself there, but one that I will save for when I do finally write that review.

Getting back to the Redeemer, when the opportunity to order finally arrived, the SaberCore3 soundboard was rumored to be coming soon, so I held off until I knew I could get it with SC3. That took an additional few weeks. However, once the order was placed, that anxious feeling we all get when we launch that process, started again. Only a bit more intense! I was a little concerned that perhaps it might still arrive with SaberCore2, but thought “That would still be OK”. So long as it was the saber I always pictured myself having one day, the sound card would not be a joy killer. So, I waited. The turn-around time was difficult, but well worth it in the end.

The version I ordered was the V2 (weathered). After seeing what the non-weathered version of the aforementioned Prodigal Son looked like (too shiny, and new), I wanted look of the saber that had been on Obi-Wan’s possession for decades before we saw it in Episode IV. The one whose history included dueling with General Grievous, his own apprentice, and was the ***SPOILER ALERT*** weapon that ended Darth Maul’s story for good. Now, I realize that it is not 100% screen accurate, but it is close enough. At some point in the future, I might have some additional work done on it to bring it even closer to “real”, but at this point in time, I am perfectly satisfied with the finish, and it’s overall look. It is a fantastic saber, and holds a special place in my collection.

Behold the Redeemer V2!

I went for Medium Blue, even though I think the shade was a bit lighter in the Original Trilogy, it definitely had a more discernible blue in Episode III, which I liked. It is a beautiful color, and plenty bright, even for a thin-neck, where the light has to travel through the think tube before ever getting to the blade. According to trusted sources, that cuts down overall brightness from the LED by about 10%. But, I believe most will find that small concession well worthwhile. I certainly do!

The weathering effect is quite satisfying overall, though around the emitter, the circular patterns convey a little more uniformity than would obviously be the case through natural process. However, the weathering on the other sections of the saber are exactly how you would imagine something being handled as long, and as often as Obi-Wan's saber would have. Worn at the edges, and even the areas where the original finish is still there, it is no longer as dark, and vibrant as it once was. That struck me as perfect.

Beneath the faux bubble card (something I plan to upgrade to the real thing soon), is the recharge/data port for the new SaberCore 3 soundboard. I am sure by now, most of you have seen the tutorials on SC3, which explain the functionality of SC3 much better than I could, so I won't go into all of that. Suffice to say that SC3 is a top to bottom update over SC2, superior in every way that counts, and which I cannot wait to hear what others will have to say when they receive their fist saber equipped with it! Mine came equipped with 1 light side font (Rangers Blade), one grey font (Cyber Assassin), and one dark (Dark Side Relic). Obviously, the latter two did not fit this saber thematically (at least not for me), so I replace them with 2 other light side fonts (Heirloom, and The Master). Now, no matter which font is engaged, it fits. Though "The Master" is probably the closest to Obi-Wan's actual saber sounds.

Then, there are the greeblies, put there just for effect. Another nice touch.

Saber Specifications:
* LED Color(s): Medium Blue
* Sound Option: SaberCore 3
* Hilt Length: 12 3/8 inches

Category Ratings:
* Craftsmanship: 9/10 (weathering pattern on the emitter is a bit uniform, but the rest is very good)
* Styling: 10/10
* Comfort: 8/10 (understandable, given the control box)
* Sound: 10/10 (SC3 is outstanding)
* Overall: 9.5/10
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 8 months 2 days ago by Brax.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Dauntless 7, Execute66, For Tyeth, DK44, scifidude79, Rapine, Isola815

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 2 days ago #78677

• Blade
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 43
Beautiful saber Brax, congrats! Great review.

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 2 days ago #78679

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 746
Beautiful but photos don't do it justice! I know how amazing it looks in real life! The Redeemer is one of SF's finest.

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 2 days ago #78680

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 372
Great story and I'm glad you were finally able to add this beauty to your collection. I agree about the weathering around the emitter, but you can always fix that. The rest of the weathering looks really good. It's really cool you got it with the SC 3.0, that's a great board. :)

This one is so on my list, but I may have to go for that "shiny and new" Episode III look. ;)

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 2 days ago #78681

• Rapine
  • Premium Member
  • Almost spring...oh wait...
  • Thank you received: 82
Another STELLAR review courtesy our friendly, neighbourhood Brax. :P
Very nicely done man.

I'm actually working on my own version of a V2... Looks pretty similar...
The lever and cone greebly are giving me a headache. :dry:

It's a labour of love. :lol:
Last Edit: 8 months 2 days ago by Rapine.

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 1 day ago #78703

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 187
Awesome hilt, exquisite craftsmanship and just overall a fantastic lightsaber that works on so many levels; nostalgia, beauty, practicality - amazing :woohoo:
Wonderful to hear that dream you had since a 15 year old seeing the movies, has finally come true and now you can look all badass with this magnificent piece.
I love the thin neck emitter so much on this :cheer:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 1 day ago #78706

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1090
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
Awesome hilt, exquisite craftsmanship and just overall a fantastic lightsaber that works on so many levels; nostalgia, beauty, practicality - amazing
Wonderful to hear that dream you had since a 15 year old seeing the movies, has finally come true and now you can look all badass with this magnificent piece.
I love the thin neck emitter so much on this

There you go Brax, I told you your reviews were valid and well regarded. It isn't just about how many Redeemer's you own or how many photos of them you take, we as Humans, also need to know how the saber makes you feel. You convey that excitement brilliantly and instill a belief to others that they too can achieve their ambition to get the Unicorn of their dreams!

That hilt is near perfection, when you get those accuracy mods you mentioned to me and do a little more work on the weathering, it will be truly outstanding. I love the picture of the bladeless emitter, it makes the saber really look as if it has an enormous power deep within it's body (looking down the thin-neck).

Long may it serve and look good sitting on your shelf!

For Tyeth

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 1 day ago #78710

• Brax
  • Administrator
Funny you should mention that picture of the saber, from the emitter perspective without the blade. My memory of seeing a similar camera angle of the saber in Episode IV, just before the duel with Vader begins; the same thought went through my mind. The blade extended slowly (the only time I remember that effect being used), unleashing the power that was within, channeled through that thin tube. I was not sure how to articulate my thoughts on it at the time, but it worked for me just the same. I did not need to understand it. I just knew I liked it!!

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 1 day ago #78712

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1090
Brax wrote:
Funny you should mention that picture of the saber, from the emitter perspective without the blade. My memory of seeing a similar camera angle of the saber in Episode IV, just before the duel with Vader begins; the same thought went through my mind. The blade extended slowly (the only time I remember that effect being used), unleashing the power that was within, channeled through that thin tube. I was not sure how to articulate my thoughts on it at the time, but it worked for me just the same. I did not need to understand it. I just knew I liked it!!

Exactly! Except this time it is the "Power of the SC3!" ;)

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 1 day ago #78716

• Blue Wielder
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
@ Brax your passion for the thin necks sabers is contagious.

I never thought much of them myself. I always preferred the angled emitters of the Graflex and similar sabers, like my Vengeance. However, after getting the Exhalted I am really starting to appreciate the classic design aesthetic.

It reminds me of retro blasters from classic sci-fi like the ones below. The designs are cool but make no technical or engineering sense. They just look cool full of techno-magic.

Current SF Sabers: Aeon V1 Mint Green, Vengeance QC Cyan
Mystery Box Loot: champion exhalted in indigo with energy vibration upgrade, shoto bastion
Last Edit: 8 months 22 hours ago by Blue Wielder.

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 1 day ago #78719

• Brax
  • Administrator
I believe you see where I (and others) are coming from on our love for thin-necks!

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 19 hours ago #78731

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 523
Tasty....

As many of you know, the Obi-Wan saber is my all time favorite.

Can't wait to see the PS conversion up next to this guy. You are gonna want to get a special stand for them I think.
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 18 hours ago #78734

• Brax
  • Administrator
Jas-Ot wrote:
Tasty....

As many of you know, the Obi-Wan saber is my all time favorite.

Can't wait to see the PS conversion up next to this guy. You are gonna want to get a special stand for them I think.

True! It would have to hold 4 sabers though. The PS, the Redeemer, the Vader MPP, and eventually, the EPIV Graflex to complete the OT set!

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 18 hours ago #78735

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 523
Hrmm....

Not aware of a 4 tier that would hold all those. Reach out to DarkLyte customs, He's got a three tier, he might be able to do a 4 tier custom.
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers

Redeemer V2 Medium Blue 8 months 16 hours ago #78742

• Brax
  • Administrator
Jas-Ot wrote:
Hrmm....

Not aware of a 4 tier that would hold all those. Reach out to DarkLyte customs, He's got a three tier, he might be able to do a 4 tier custom.

I have a three tier from Saber Forge, and the EPIV Graflex is still not close to a reality yet, so for now...that will do. B) :)
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Shoto saber design, ISO i... (61 Posts)
    • Hi Major, The shade on the Gladius body block ring doesn't look too bad (in your comparison...
    • Quote: Ah I see what you mean Major_Tom....it is a tad dark! But I could only judge on the photo you...
    • Ah I see what you mean Major_Tom....it is a tad dark! But I could only judge on the photo you...
    • Quote: The lighting in the photo isn't very good. I think BCII is a little too dark and BCI is a little too...
    • Chassis Available! (7 Posts)
    • I hope my Redeemer ordered in January will be fitted with that one....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.4k
  • Total Topics: 5842
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 146
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 11
  • Yesterday Answer: 14