Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Reliant.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69771

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1915

DT Reliant 12Watt+ QC Deep Red

This was ordered and started as a V2 weathered hilt much like CR Jade Fire and whilst the weathering didn’t feature mixed shades of blue and black that resulted from the anodise strip, the normally accepted weathered finish just seemed kinda boring. So as an exercise, the primary weathered parts of the hilt were sanded down, smoothed over and rub-polished. Also made an additional incision in the emitter which is almost becoming expected of me.

The Pommel, kill key, covertech wheel and accent choke & recessed lines are all that remain of the stock V2.

This was a specific emitter hilt that under false optimism I had hoped for some flexibility to alter its appearance and returned not being the case. Ill-informed on my part. There once was a time when the Reliant Emitter had a separate shroud that was secured over the blade socket much like what can be seen on (what I also thought) Dissident and Fury.

It was secured by a single retention setscrew that served a dual purpose of retaining the inserted blade (or plug) and the shroud also. There may well be just a firm adhesive that holds the two together but from the heat that was generated from the drilling and subsequent cutting and attempts to unscrew the shroud afterwards with gloves and straps returned only some sweat and a throbbing vein on my temple. Likely, much like Dissident Emitter (from Anais ASP) it is a cast piece followed by some SF machining.

So… where it remains is a single retention setscrew for the blade that is buried on the shroud topside and the red button greeblie serves as the single LED retention screw.

As mentioned earlier, started as a V2 so the AV switch is the default black and Red-lit to closely match the Deep Red LED that it was ordered as.

The phony switch box. Had some sharp corners and edges alongside it. Added some sand (ing) and now it’s smooth. Not the most comfortable block to shift your grip around however serves as a great visual piece. Surprisingly whilst the block is small I find it more cumbersome than the larger variants of say PS or Redeemer where the latter two don’t hinder in any way. The extra surface area of the respective grenade grips contribute to this greatly.

Brown Leather Wrap.
Two obvious observations here. 1: It’s a wrapped hilt and 2: Plain Brown. I have remained on the fence for a long time about wrapped hilts, never completely loving them and never completely hating them. It adds nicely to handling, eliminating grip-slip (without gloves) and actually effectively rounds-off the aesthetics.

The Brown itself rather than going patterned say Bronze Stingray (like V3 Juggs) was deemed the obvious and classical choice. I don’t think much of the Reptile-patterned wraps (like Black Lotus) cos the visual effectiveness for me is just meh and it isn’t comfortable (without gloves). Unlike the Black leather from Xiphos, this different coloured but same material lacks the accommodating sponginess of Xiphos but it’s hardly enough to stay angry at.

Some Specs and Measurements:
Quad Cree 12Watt+ Deep Red| Quick Connect LED| Champion Tier|
Sabercore2.0 Viridian| (Originally) V2 Weathered Finish

Hilt Length: 313mm
Blade Socket Depth: 37mm
Emitter Length (exc. Choke): 97mm
Emitter Length (inc. choke): 104mm
Switch Length: 41mm
Grip Body Length: 135mm

Hilt Diameter: 37.41mm
Emitter Diameter: 45.57mm

Weight: 504 grams

The faux switch box.
When the switch plate is removed, it is two buttonhead screws that hold the box to the switch part. The glue used to hold the switch plate down isn’t very strong. Until actually trying it I had thought it required some special trick. All you have to do is pick at the switch plate edge using your fingernail (or edge of allen key) like picking a scab and it pops right off.

You now have the option to go with box or without box at your own discretion.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69772

• OvrcAHst

Emitter light bleed. Love-it!
Similar method used here as I did previously on CR Ares and Custom Monarch. Drilled two opposing holes and used a small (okay maybe a few, two layer thickness of aluminium on this one that took longer and was harder to cut then Monarch and Ares) cutting wheel to bridge the holes before sanding and grinding.

Deep Red.

Pink.

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69773

• OvrcAHst
Amber.

Medium Blue.

Lime Green.

This Reliant. My Reliant.
Exquisite. Exciting. Ergonomic.
Extraordinary. Enchanting.

Looks great, handles well & nicely balanced.

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69785

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1784
Great review, as always!

I love open emitter mod. I want the same thing done to my Reliant (the Dark one), but alas I don't possess the skills to attempt it without making an utter mess of it.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Brax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69786

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 361
Another beauty! The polished finish and window emitter mod looks great. Nice job OvrcAHst!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69792

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 746
Interesting mix of craftsmanship, from the original V2 (pommel), shined finish conversion with subtle hints of weathering and the new wide window on the emitter. I like the Reliant, it is a no nonsense hilt ready for battle any time.

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69794

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 523
Awesome work yet again. I really like the emitter window. I have an acolyte I'm building right now, I may try your approach on it.
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69811

• OvrcAHst
Thank you for the audience. :)

Brax wrote:
Great review, as always!
I love open emitter mod. I want the same thing done to my Reliant (the Dark one), but alas I don't possess the skills to attempt it without making an utter mess of it.
My attempts hardly exemplify skills but as amateurishly achieved as they are, it does the trick. ;)

Greysider wrote:
Another beauty! The polished finish and window emitter mod looks great. Nice job OvrcAHst!
An opportunity was present and it was seized. The window just makes sense (well to me it does) really.

Execute66 wrote:
Interesting mix of craftsmanship, from the original V2 (pommel), shined finish conversion with subtle hints of weathering and the new wide window on the emitter. I like the Reliant, it is a no nonsense hilt ready for battle any time.
It really is, no disagreements here.

Jas-Ot wrote:
Awesome work yet again. I really like the emitter window. I have an acolyte I'm building right now, I may try your approach on it.
I reckon your attempts will return greater success. What would you do on the Acolytes forked emitter? side gills to resemble Vengeance emitter or open mouth on the underside? I have pondered the two to be tried of the similar forks of a SP emitter. :P

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69812

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 523
I was thinking two smallish windows on the side of each of the two larger indented parts of the emitter, right below the "shroud"

I don't have a picture at the moment, but right below the forked shroud is one indented area, put a small window on each side of that, and then below that is another one.

I may save it for another build though, I'm already doing some gilding and engraving on this one, and need to have it ready by Christmas.

And your work looks great man!
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69813

• Burns3558
  • Elite Member
  • The force is strong in my family...
  • Thank you received: 57
My favorite SF hilt. X66 nailed it - it is such a no nonsense hilt.

Your milled out emmitter is great... love shine thru type mods on sabers. I dont think I've seen anyone do that with a reliant... maybe you'll start a trend. Maybe I'll be the fist one to copy you. The lime green is my favorite with your saber.

Any plans on polishing the pommel? To me that's the best part of this hilt. It's by far my favorite pommel on any saber canon or eu.

Also I saw some old threads on another forum where people beat up the leather where you would grip it with acetone and sandpaper as if it was worn down from yrs of battling then dry brushed or lightly rubbed the worn areas with black and brown paint to look like grime. Just thinking something like that might look good on this.

My game of thrones reliant that I commissioned for a wedding gift is almost done... will upload pics soon.

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 1 year 4 months ago #69821

• OvrcAHst
Jas-Ot wrote:
I was thinking two smallish windows on the side of each of the two larger indented parts of the emitter, right below the "shroud"

I don't have a picture at the moment, but right below the forked shroud is one indented area, put a small window on each side of that, and then below that is another one.

I may save it for another build though, I'm already doing some gilding and engraving on this one, and need to have it ready by Christmas.

And your work looks great man!
Oh yeah, I can imagine exactly what you describe (green arrows). Personally (if I had an Acolyte/Disciple) I'd carved two larger bands into red arrow. I'd leave a solid space on top (& 180 degrees underside) that shared the same ID negative space of the fork and cut two large arches between the two, like a dual-segmented halo. :P
The underside solid space wont disturb the retention screw.

Your description still enables additional light and keeps lines discreet. ;)

Burns3558 wrote:
My favorite SF hilt. X66 nailed it - it is such a no nonsense hilt.
Your milled out emmitter is great... love shine thru type mods on sabers.
Sucker for shine thru's, Guilty! I think the experimentation really started to take momentum after Black Lotus where windows were added between the tapped holes for the claws.
I dont think I've seen anyone do that with a reliant... maybe you'll start a trend. Maybe I'll be the first one to copy you. The lime green is my favorite with your saber.
I don't recall seeing one either, it just seemed so obvious and yeah :lol: , maybe.. and maybe you will. It's there to be shared. :) It's difficult to dismiss Lime Green. I had pics done of all the colours but rather than show all, selected the (what I thought) were the best and the others didn't make the final cut.
Any plans on polishing the pommel? To me that's the best part of this hilt. It's by far my favorite pommel on any saber canon or eu.
Probably not. It's up there as a favourite of mine too (first receipt on V3 Juggs) but this version is inclusive of the greeblies. For now it offers some balanced symmetry of the weathering to the wrap to the polished finish. Polishing the Pommel too may blur some of the finer detailing of said Pommel but never say never.
Also I saw some old threads on another forum where people beat up the leather where you would grip it with acetone and sandpaper as if it was worn down from yrs of battling then dry brushed or lightly rubbed the worn areas with black and brown paint to look like grime. Just thinking something like that might look good on this.
This part will likely happen relatively soon. Have been sampling the method on another surface before I completely apply it to this handle. You may notice that there are small sections on both ends that are a little distressed already. Test spots. ;)
My game of thrones reliant that I commissioned for a wedding gift is almost done... will upload pics soon.
This sounds cool. Am imagining some detailed etching on the shroud or even some hydro-dipping to simulate Valyrian Steel. :whistle:

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 7 months 1 week ago #79769

• OvrcAHst
Black Betty.. Bam-balam

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
;).
The following user(s) said Thank You: scifidude79

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 7 months 1 week ago #79774

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 372
That looks really cool, what did you do to achieve that look?

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 7 months 1 week ago #79830

• OvrcAHst
scifidude79 wrote:
what did you do to achieve that look?
Would you believe Dark chocolate and Coconut? :silly:

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 7 months 1 week ago #79833

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 372
OvrcAHst wrote:
scifidude79 wrote:
what did you do to achieve that look?
Would you believe Dark chocolate and Coconut? :silly:

Sounds sticky. :ohmy:

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 7 months 1 week ago #79856

• OvrcAHst
Revealed. Revisited.
Rebuilt. Reimagined.
Reliant Upgraded.

A repurposed TFU2 Promo-Art Saber.
The former stripped V2 to become a semi polished saber has now had a new skin applied to it. The former Sabercore2.0 electronics and QC LED have also been replaced with a Prizm v4 RGrB LED. Stock 28mm Premium speaker replaced with a 20mm Bass Speaker (No sound output compromise. Why the downsize? Follow till the end and it’ll make sense ;).), the stock dual 12mm switch holes filled, a Graflex 2.0’s ESB Clamp Card modified to accommodate dual dome tactile switches.
A 4-Step gradual sweep process of exterior colouring that consisted of Satin Black, Chalk Black, Marble effect and Granite effect that results in the textured finish with leaks of silver. The Marble/Granite effect cans spit granulated chunks like webbing rather than the fine mist typically come to be known.

The DIY emitter shine through carries over.

The stock supplied faux leather also replaced with an alternate synthetic leather. Surface texture for aesthetics and a softened feel for comfort.

… to be continued..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, scifidude79

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 7 months 1 week ago #79857

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 282
You just had to one up me :)
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 7 months 1 week ago #79858

• OvrcAHst
Darth Squidious wrote:
You just had to one up me :)
:P The protagonist dual wields so there's equal room for both. ;)

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 7 months 1 week ago #79910

• OvrcAHst
BOOM!!

Custom scratch-build electronics core with brass sleeve (to conceal the soundboard and card access) and Reveal Crystal Chamber.

Pure Sexiness. Sticky and delicious.
What’s on the outside may not be for you and that’s okay. It’s what’s on the inside that counts.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, scifidude79

Reliant | A TFU2 Promo-Art Saber 7 months 1 week ago #79911

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1784
That's a beauty inside, and out!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Shoto saber design, ISO i... (61 Posts)
    • Hi Major, The shade on the Gladius body block ring doesn't look too bad (in your comparison...
    • Quote: Ah I see what you mean Major_Tom....it is a tad dark! But I could only judge on the photo you...
    • Ah I see what you mean Major_Tom....it is a tad dark! But I could only judge on the photo you...
    • Quote: The lighting in the photo isn't very good. I think BCII is a little too dark and BCI is a little too...
    • Chassis Available! (7 Posts)
    • I hope my Redeemer ordered in January will be fitted with that one....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.4k
  • Total Topics: 5842
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 146
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 11
  • Yesterday Answer: 14