Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: I am hearing good things!

I am hearing good things! 11 months 1 week ago #70015

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1379
I am at the point where I have seen more than enough of the movie via multiple trailers, and TV spots, so I have tried to avoid being exposed to too much of the movie before I actually see it. That being said, I did see some headlines around Facebook (spoiler free) that are saying the feedback on the movie following its premier in LA, have been overwhelmingly positive! Some going as far as to say that it is better than the Force Awakens!

I hope all of this is true, and not just folks putting stuff out there to drive up interest; because I have already allowed myself to get pretty stoked about this one. Early indicators are that my enthusiasm is well justified, but we will have to see if that level of positive buzz holds up over the next few days.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Brax.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I am hearing good things! 11 months 1 week ago #70017

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
Me too, very excited for it. Going mid day on Friday.

And from.what I've heard...
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Last Edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Jas-Ot.

I am hearing good things! 11 months 1 week ago #70142

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 122
Saw it yesterday evening (I live in Norway) and without spoiling anything; it's everything I wanted and more, where they actually threw in several surprises that I never saw coming.
In my defense I've tried staying away as much as I could from spoilers and too much footage (only having seen the first and second trailers), but wow, there were a lot of moments in there that blew me away, both nostalgically, technically as well as emotionally.

If this is going to be the standard for these anthologies, we're in for some very awesome years, because it delivers in any case on that promise; seeing the Star Wars Universe from other perspectives and getting a closer look at what happens at the sidelines/background.
Imagining other directors adding their own vision to the Star Wars franchise is amazing and the first try has been very successful in any case! (I know this will never happen, but just imagine what Tarantino could do with a Bounty Hunter concept movie in this universe :P
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax

I am hearing good things! 11 months 6 days ago #70176

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 540
Uhm, JJ Abrams nice try. ROGUE ONE

Last Edit: 11 months 6 days ago by =Ottomatix=.

I am hearing good things! 11 months 6 days ago #70177

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
You mean Rogue One?! :P Those damnable Make up movies.

Just playing bro
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV
Last Edit: 11 months 6 days ago by SuUpberSith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

I am hearing good things! 11 months 6 days ago #70179

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 540
Wow FAN-DAZZLE, this movie caters to the adult audience. We all new the premise behind this story but what I just witnessed was historic. Didn't much like TFA, because it attempted to pander to an audience by polishing a story I've already seen. Selling merchandise is important, but giving the fans a great story is everthing. I heard some kids in the men's room after say"this movie was better than TFA" and I walked out thinking, thank the FORCE. HOPING episode VIII takes a note from this film and cuts out the campy BS that underwhelmed my opinion of TFA. #STARDUST!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap, SuUpberSith, DarkJedi_7

I am hearing good things! 11 months 6 days ago #70180

• DarkJedi_7
  • Thank you received: 20
Yep... my kids felt the same way about "the horse is taken", I loath to think how Eps 1,2 and 3 would have been like if Kasdan had been involved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

I am hearing good things! 11 months 6 days ago #70184

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 77
Or Episode 5 and 6? Oh wait.....

Rogue One was fantastic! Loved the little throwbacks and everything. The story didn't miss a beat. It moved a little fast, but man was it on point. It was so focused and presented what it was supposed to do very well. TFA was a little more staggered. Certainly better than TFA, but I don't dislike TFA like many seem to. But even the people who deride Ep7 said they loved this movie.

So I'll tell you what I told someone else yesterday If you weren't going to see Rogue One out of protest for how much you didn't like TFA, then please go SEE this and support THIS movie because it is nothing like episode 7. You will be pleased.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap

I am hearing good things! 11 months 6 days ago #70190

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 342
I saw it this morning. It was awesome! :woohoo: This movie shows an excellent example of the heroics and sacrifices of the "little guy".
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

I am hearing good things! 11 months 6 days ago #70202

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1699
:dry: Sooo... How long after the Official Cinematic Release is it still acceptable for this to be Spoiler Free say if I'm not watching it until the Blu-ray Release? :lol:

I am hearing good things! 11 months 6 days ago #70206

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 643
Watched it. Awesome, I might even prefer it to The Force Awakens. Will plan to watch it again and again .... before the Blu-ray :lol:
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuUpberSith

I am hearing good things! 11 months 5 days ago #70216

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
Saw it yesterday, great movie on its own, regardless of it being Star Wars.

The last few minutes of the movie... Wow... Just wow...
Last Edit: 11 months 5 days ago by Jas-Ot.

I am hearing good things! 11 months 5 days ago #70222

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1379
Just saw the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it! :woohoo: :woohoo:
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

I am hearing good things! 11 months 3 days ago #70234

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 43
While I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, there was one thing that REALLY stood out to me... how much of a difference it made to not have John Williams doing the score. While I knew how incredible John Williams' work on these films was, I guess I never realized just how much of an effect it had on the finished product until seeing this movie that lacked it. The music just didn't feel right, and never had the impact, and depth to it that to me is such a part of the Star Wars experience.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a great movie, and one that I will see again a couple more times in the theater and buy immediately once it comes out on digital media for the home. Tons to love about it: visually stunning, action packed, insane Vader scene(s)... but it still just didn't feel right without the music.

I am hearing good things! 11 months 3 days ago #70246

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 342
Saw it again Sunday. Awesome again! Have to agree with Salacious B. Crumb about the score. Could have been a bit better. There are definite hints of John Williams/Star Wars there, but it's not the music we fans are accustomed to.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

I am hearing good things! 11 months 3 days ago #70248

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 643
I can see why they didn't use the music except for the end credits. They didn't do the "Star Wars" story intro because there was a prologue story before "Rogue One" (in different yellow font) splashed across the screen. They probably thought it's a spin off. I would have preferred John Williams all the way though.
"I am the Senate"

I am hearing good things! 11 months 2 days ago #70260

• DarkJedi_7
  • Thank you received: 20
Michael Giacchino did a impressive job of give this Star Wars story a breath of fresh air, for me John William's score on TFA felt a little bland after his amazing effort in ROTS. and wow for Rogue One for being the Starwars I wented TFA to be.

I am hearing good things! 11 months 2 days ago #70277

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 122
Although I agree I was missing the 'Star Wars' feel in certain aspects, I feel that we were very lucky to get Giacchino.
I'm not a score connoisseur, but I do love me movie soundtracks; of course Star Wars was what started it all, but then I was a kid of 8 years old when I saw the OT on VHS, so I just didn't think anything of the music.
However, when Lord of the Rings hit theatres, I noticed myself being intrigued and excited about the music in such a way that my friends just weren't. That's when I discovered that film scores were unique and different - and very pleasant to listen to - so since the early 2000's I really got into collecting and listening to them (although with Spotify now it's just as easy to find the scores there instead of buying them).

For the last few years there has been this 'Zimmer-craze' where Hans Zimmer (and people who were trained by him or sound a lot like him) has gotten to compose for almost every major blockbuster.
Now don't get me wrong; I love most of his stuff, but in recent years I really feel he's become somewhat repetitive and lazy and most of his soundtracks all have this same sort of 'electronic deep bass' sound that only evokes 'testosterone!'
Michael Giacchino so far is someones who I feel is closest to John Williams; uses the entire orchestra, not so much electronics and uses his score to evoke emotions whilst you watch a scene.
It seems the trend in Hollywood last years is to downplay the soundtrack and not let it stir you at all. Although this is commendable (giving the actors and actresses more freedom to convey emotion) it does have downsides - just look at the YouTube vid of E.T.'s ending without Williams' score; it's completely lifeless.

Luckily there are others besides Zimmer like James Newton Howard and James Horner (although he unfortunately passed away last year) that do stir the emotions and are great at sci-fi/fantasy scores, but so far Giacchino reminds me most of John Williams (just listen to Super 8 or John Carter or Jupiter Ascending).
That being said of us being lucky to have Giacchino and him being the closest to what one can get right now in the world of composers that sound like John Williams; I too felt there was missing something.

Of course the main scroll not being there was a big loss; not only musically to just hear that wonderful theme, but also as a Star Wars experience.
On the one hand I could understand the makers for leaving it out - as it a Star Wars story and not an official Episode 3.5 or something - but sitting in the cinema and reading those famous letters 'A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...' and then preparing yourself for that big booming blast of Star Wars across the screen, only for it to not come was kind of a big miss.

Besides that John Williams goes for character themes or just themes in general, whilst Giacchino mostly goes for one or two central themes and just 'wings it' according to the scene.
Of course Williams also looks at the scene and 'guides you through it', but he still finds ways of highlighting certain characters (Rey, Han, Finn, Kylo) or certain feelings/emotions (hope, love, anger, etc.) and I did miss that in this score.
There were definitely some highlights, but none that jumped out as for instance Williams did for TFA; 'Rey's Theme' alone and the ending with 'The Jedi Steps' are phenomenal, as well as 'The March of the Restistance' and 'Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle'.

So yeah, hopefully Giacchino will keep improving on his work and the basis he laid here, because I think - and yes, I know that's an awful thing to say, but let's be realistic - that once Williams is gone, Giacchino will be the best replacement we can hope for, as he's capable of amazing things.
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Last Edit: 11 months 2 days ago by CrimsonJax88.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Snakeeyz99
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Vengeance Emitter Questio... (3 Posts)
    • Awesome! Thank you so much!
    • First ASP Review / Custom... (6 Posts)
    • Quote: What features on the sound board were you referring to as "missing"? The Flash on Clash and on...
    • First ASP Review / Custom... (6 Posts)
    • Very nice! Love the overall look of the saber! What features on the sound board were you referring...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6003
  • Latest Member: owylity
  • Total Posts: 61.8k
  • Total Topics: 5150
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 6
  • Yesterday Answer: 44