Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Ronin MK3 has arrived.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78772

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 109
Just picked up my SF box from Canada Post. Never so excited to see a Toblerone in quite a while. :woohoo: Pics and whatnot to follow likely tomorrow. While the battery is being charged I have questions. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and advice. :)

I can't for the life of me remove the deep red QD to try out the Indigo one. Thought that I was going to break or bend the Allen wrench and the set screw finally did come out but seems to have been glued in. So I'm guessing that this saber is going to remain red which is okay with me. But what to do with the other one ?! The LED housing is a stubbier silver one with a brass/copper holed backing... not like the black housing that is shown in the store photos. Is this specific to this saber ? Also there was one J ?? red connecter that has only x1 short narrow insert pin and then other spot is empty. Is this correct or am I short one ?

On first glance am feeling that I am really going to like this saber... but will share all about that later. :P :cheer:

Oh yeah... this saber was ordered from the regular site on August 6th !!! :ohmy:
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Dauntless 7.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, scifidude79

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78775

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 265
Congratulations, D7. I'm looking forward to the pics.

Does the LED module in question have a lip or anything or is it a straight 1" all the way? If it is, then it's just your standard 1" heatsink. I used a short one like what you're describing my Acolyte build.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78777

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
Thanks for the congrats. I am quite pumped to get this. Not a fancy saber but just what I wanted. The LED is indeed the 1" straight silver housing. On second thought likely the other pin is attached to the wiring coming from the board. Would make sense. Sure wish that I knew how to safely remove the red LED as would like to see the Indigo. It's really far down the hilt emitter... 2.5 inches.

Perhaps with the pics tomorrow, there might be more ideas about removal. Also the recharge port adapter is a different model than my old one. Everthing is the same except the old is 2000mA and the new is 1000mA. I am using the old one and thinking that should be okay. Light starts out green then turns red when fully charged ?

Wow... ask me all about US sabers... feel like a newbie again with SF lol. :blink:

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78778

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1648
Congrats on your new saber! I look forward to seeing the pics, and reading more about it. B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78779

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 489
Woo congrats! Which heat sink that they use seems to vary. The aluminum/copper one dissipates heat much better than the black anodized one. The connector on the end is a micro deans, and it plugs into the like connector on the wires inside the hilt (once you remove the other LED).

To remove a quick connect module, you loosen the LED retention screw... and then you gotta shake it. Shake, shake it. Shake it like a Polaroid picture. :silly:

Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7, Beastbornoheart

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78780

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
:woohoo:
Congrats D7 on your delivery!
Bearing in mind that this saber was designed with Tournament duelling primarily in mind, could the parts have been glued to make them more combat resistant?

Oh and to get the LED module out follow the Jimmy Fallon audience's advice....just make sure you have a towel or something soft below to catch the module!

For Tyeth

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78790

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
Okay... This is NOT good news... maybe. :( The Crimson board is perhaps not working properly. As you can see from the photos the red av switch is not going out when attached to the recharger but shuts down with the kill key.

The only sound I can get is the male voice saying Crimson and the female one letting me enter the options. After that there is light but no sound at times. Sometimes when I turn it on there is a hesitation and I can hear a clicking or it takes me back to entering the specifics again. Yes I checked that the sound
was on low and not muted. As you can see on my Venom there is no light on the av ring when charging and it still has some battery power.

Perhaps in my lack of recent SF knowledge... the av switch ring lights up when fully charged as I see no change in the green light on either chargers. If so... I should expect the purple ring on my Venom to become lit as an indicator of it being fully charged ?!

Apologizes for being such a nob... but I really hope not to send my lovely saber back ( already ). :unsure:

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78798

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 345
That thing looks to be wired wrong.

Inserting a kill key or charge plug into the RCP hole should disconnect all power, and that AV switch should NOT light up.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78804

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
Oh shucks ! Okay... remain calm. What if I was to use that saber until the battery drained. Do you think that it might just reboot itself properly ? It definitely took some kind of charge because the red LED was not as bright when first out of the box. As you can see the light goes out with the kk inserted. Neither of the SF chargers cuts out the av switch color.

Any suggestions of what to do next would be appreciated. :dry:

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78807

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 489
Document the issue with photos and video, send to SF Customer service (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) and request RMA approval for warranty repair, then fill out the RMA form found HERE and include it with the saber when you send it back.

Not sure of Canadian customs... but I know that for UK if you present the receipt or w/e for the original customs fee paid, they don't charge again for an item being returned as a repair.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78808

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 345
So, the KK works normally? but the charger doesn't seem to cut power?

That's odd, could be an issue internally with the "spring" inside the RCP. Hard to say without opening it up and checking the wiring.

It's probably worth sending SF customer Service an email and see what your options are. Might need to go in for repair/upgrade.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78811

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 265
I'm sorry to hear about your rotten luck, D7. That really sucks because you were so excited for this one. I'd definitely let them know about it, as it is under warranty. I sure hope they reimburse you for those customs fees.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78813

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
Hi D7,

I echo what SFD and others just posted (and I just sent you a PM too). I really hope you get a fully operational Ronin back in your possession soon. (Darn customs! Darn Recharge Ports!)

For Tyeth

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78814

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
Much thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Really appreciate your insights and advice. Will keep you updated as I have more info. Thanks KelbornX for the quick links. Have sent an email with photos to customer service. :)

Will leave saber unused with the kill key in till I hear back from SF.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78816

• Rapine
  • Premium Member
  • Almost Halloween...
  • Thank you received: 63
Oh, that's crappy.

I'm terribly sorry to read that D7.

Like SFD said, the duty fees are killer...
"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78817

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
Thanks Rapine. In perspective there are far worse things going on in the world and situations effecting individuals in a much deeper longer lasting way. Still you are right it's kinda crappy. :(

You don't even want to know how much this saber has cost in Canadian conversion. Anyone but true saber enthusiasts would be commenting on my sanity lol.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78823

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 691
Congratulations. The Ronin looks like a very functional two handed saber! It looks very comfortable to hold.
"I am the Senate"

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78824

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 691
Best to do a youtube video, which is what SF often requests before approving a RMA return. Sorry to read about the puzzling situation. The RMA is very good, they will get it fixed.
"I am the Senate"

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78839

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
Thanks but I don't do videos and especially on YouTube. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 5 months 3 weeks ago #78904

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 278
I could almost guarantee that the negatives are swapped on that rcp. It would still cut out when you insert the kill key because its non conductive but when you plug it in to charge the board basically starts running off the power coming from the wall.

I've wired them wrong before and that's exactly what I've seen.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Bane MK2 DIY (1 Posts)
    • Has anyone done their own wiring/install on this hilt? How much of it can be taken apart and how...
    • "DIY" Star Wars... (93 Posts)
    • Urgh. Will try to scrape it off but am not too optimistic for the accents.
    • New Member Introduction T... (2729 Posts)
    • Another lurker, come in from the cold! Welcome! B)
    • New Member Introduction T... (2729 Posts)
    • Hello, everyone! I'm Jonathan, and I suppose I'm just another Star Wars nerd from southern...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6644
  • Latest Member: shousee12
  • Total Posts: 66.2k
  • Total Topics: 5605
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 24