Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Ronin MK3 has arrived.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 3 months 2 weeks ago #80888

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
Plan's simpe - a stupid-bright White LED to use alongside the Yellow Day Blade. SF Yellow material is mildly photonic, so a Cool White LED should result in a nice yellow blade. Beyond that, just letting the SF powder coaters do their thing.

You're probably rocking Medium or Standard Red if it's slightly orange and matches the AV switch. I've an un-related build that had to make a similar call - sacrificing the blood red for a standard red so that the blade would match the crystal-pommel LEDs. On the bright side, standard reds tend to run brighter since you're not losing as much light to InfraRed.

Once the hilt's in-hand, I'll see how easily the tsuba comes off. If it's roughly 1/4" (6mm) thick, I think I can machine some blank replacements, if you want an extra to practice-dremel.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 3 months 2 weeks ago #80897

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 672
That's good news D7, happy to see you got it back nicely. :cheer:
"I am the Senate"

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 3 months 2 weeks ago #80937

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Huh, turns out the tsuba and emitter are one piece on this hilt, so there's no swapping tsubas until SF makes the emitters available for separate order.

For the engraving bits, I'd say keep the speed high and your pressure very low. A few passes of barely scratching should give you a solid like to follow. If you're too firm at first, you might be stuck following the knurling recesses accidentally.

Chassis options might be limited. The body sections are weird on this hilt, starting with the usual 1 1/8" at the female threads, then dropping to 1" at the male end.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 3 months 2 weeks ago #80938

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 103
Thanks loads for the info and helpful hints Kouri. Am puzzled that you are saying that the tsuba and upper emitter are one piece. When I sent my saber back I asked if the tsuba could be swapped out as I originally decided that the Saber Legion logo was not really what I wanted and was going to ask for an all black disc instead. However, I saw a few owners had chosen the Rising Sun design and that was a keeper.

Customer service said that the tsuba could be swapped/exchanged for $50 but free for me. So that was done and my saber is the exact one that I sent in. Looked at the present saber and my prior photos taken. A part of the weathering that stood out is still there. Perhaps the tsuba has been glued on to make it more secure.

Can't wait to see yours with the powder coating. Considered requesting this in red since I was already returning it. Decided not to confuse things and just get the repair done.

Here's a pic of the saber prior to sending it back and of the Legion tsuba if anyone is interested in a closer look. Will have to post pics with the Rising Sun tsuba later as currently camera is awol lol. :(

Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Dauntless 7.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 3 months 1 week ago #80988

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Yeah, I guess it's hard to describe since the Ronin's built different from either Apprentice or Elite hilts.

Basically, traditional tsuba-hilts have a separate tsuba disc that secures with a small emitter-ring that screws onto the rest of the blade holder. On the Ronin, that threaded emitter ring and the tsuba itself are all one piece.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 3 months 1 week ago #80997

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
Oh yes I understand what you mean now. The small external ring that would be the emitter on my saber is indeed slightly weathered different than the other tsuba. It would be really nice to be able to purchase swap outs as I like all 3 Tsuba designs and the blank slate option.

Liking that the tsuba is one piece. Not sure about the amount of threading or if I expected a few more rows. Not that I could ever strike something hard enough to make that a stability factor. Boxing gloves are another story. lol :whistle:

When do we get to see your saber first reveal and are you pleased with the powder coating ? I'm again simplifying my grand engraving plan.

I actually like the cool feel of the knurled pattern and my hands will essentially be covering most of the designs... but it's too basic for my visual taste. :dry:
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Dauntless 7.

My Ronin MK3 has arrived. 3 months 6 days ago #81261

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
Have started the engraving customization. Have to advise others to never ever chose the knurled pattern for engraving or acid etching. Even trying to get a marking pen ink off the finish is a nightmare. That being said it does teach one to let go of having a clean design. Should be completed in a few days and then will post pics of um... either an okay looking saber or a complete train wreck lol. :blink:

That term " bite me "... well it turns out that is what you need the small dremel burrs to do to reduce the knurled finish as it is quite unforgiving. :S
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Customizable lightsaber (5 Posts)
    • Looks like a machinist (Wuxi Victor Machinery) is starting up on Alibaba with knock-offs of...
    • MHS Compatibility (3 Posts)
    • Completely different threading. Ultrasabers copied the MHS threading, while Kyberlight copied the...
    • We're Alive!! (21 Posts)
    • Guilty as charged.
    • Reliant switch/control bo... (1 Posts)
    • For those of you that have a Reliant switch with the control box, I've come up with a method for...
    • Sabercore 3.0 Swing Issue... (32 Posts)
    • Oh noes

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6499
  • Latest Member: HowardFuppY
  • Total Posts: 64.7k
  • Total Topics: 5483
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 9
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 74