Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Opinions on Curved Hilts

Opinions on Curved Hilts 1 year 3 months ago #43835

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
I'm debating if I want a curved hilt saber for dueling (specifically, a Cyan Bane). I would like to hear the opinions of others on using a curved hilt. If anyone owns a Bane or another curved hilt saber, I'm curious as to how you duel with it and generally what you think of it. Not talking about full on reviews, but how it handles for dueling.

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Opinions on Curved Hilts 1 year 3 months ago #43933

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1601
I don't own a (commonly associated) curved hilt or one that has a gentle curve (what I imagine SFs Insurgent to be) other than my Va-Cuum Cle'Ner (which doesn't technically count).
You're wield style is the obvious difference here. With curved hilts your grip will also change. Imagine gripping a squash racquet versus gripping a tennis racket.
A squash racquet's grip is commonly nearest the very top of the grip-wrap with your thumb and forefinger simulating a gentle 'V'. The dueling style is most associated with a fencing style also.
A tennis racquet's grip is commonly nearest the very bottom of the grip-wrap (relative to just above the pommel) with a virtual closed fist straightened.

You've mentioned in other threads that you lean towards or establish your grip and wielding style from oriental weaponry much like the katana. This can sometimes combine the two mentioned above liking to say gripping a golf club. However it becomes a dual-hand wield which isn't as comfortable on a curved-hilt.
To go single handed grip on a curved, you'll be essentially going through an 'unlearning' exercise to train short swings, slashes and more stabbing motions.

For fluidity of movement during dueling, the single handed curved demonstrates more refinement and control. The blade is swung as it is directed. Compared to a straight hilt, still consistent to aforementioned, your motions tend to be guided by the swings in a more exaggerated way than above.

That's my interpretation.

Thought the PS was your next decisive moment? :P

Opinions on Curved Hilts 1 year 3 months ago #43970

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
OvrcAHst wrote:
Thought the PS was your next decisive moment? :P

There are too many options! I have SO MANY CHOYYSSEZZZZZ!!! :woohoo:
With how you described it as well as what I learned from TPLA's newest video tells me I would rather like using a curved hilt. Though I take much influence from traditional sword grips, I'm no stranger to single hand conventional wielding. That plus my habit of circling around my foe's blade with swings and moves that don't exactly work for a straight hilt make me want to get a Bane.

Rats, now I have five SF sabers on my list not counting my two ASP sabers! My wallet (and work spirit) are gonna hate me this summer.

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

Opinions on Curved Hilts 1 year 3 months ago #43973

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1601
Confucius Say: Better to ask for forgiveness than to seek permission first.

If it makes you happy then it can't be that bad.

EDIT: How you separate yourself from others is determined by actions of being proficient at several disciplines or a Master of just one. ;)
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by OvrcAHst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Opinions on Curved Hilts 1 year 3 months ago #44022

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 806
Hi all,

And just to add to Eddlyss64's woes of an overstretched wallet, I have an ASP design he might like which I will post when he's online to see it!
It's not curved but may fit in with one of his other thread topics.

Sorry to interrupt,

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Opinions on Curved Hilts 1 year 3 months ago #46700

• Darth Anihlus
  • A saber crystal is good, but nothing beats a 12w LED.
If you're the type of person who fights using agility, speed and precision, a curved hilt is definitely for you. It really moulds into your hand, making it easy to use in 1 handed combat, but it's not very useful if you want to fight with 2 hands or if you want to dual wield 2 curved hilts. So it's good for quick attacks, bad for heavy ones.

I hope this doesn't go too far off topic, but I think saberforge should make some more curved hilt sabers, because the bane was a HUGE success ;)
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/b3/DarksaberRender.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111102223010
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Family Photos (9 Posts)
    • Here's a pic of my WIP Bookcase All of these sabers are in some stage of work in progress. (this...
    • Themed Sabers (808 Posts)
    • Quote: It's a 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' reference; in the Grinch song it says: "I wouldn't touch...
    • Saber Forge at Wizard Wor... (1 Posts)
    • Saber Forge will be at Wizard World in Sacramento this weekend! (June 16, 17, and 18) Wizard World...
    • Themed Sabers (808 Posts)
    • Quote: I call it, The Mean One. [image] [image]...[image] I see what...
    • PS-Luke V2 WIP (16 Posts)
    • Quote: I got a hankering for one of these. A bad one! :evil: It is your destiny....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5221
  • Latest Member: Williamastep
  • Total Posts: 55.9k
  • Total Topics: 4660
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 9