Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to Beat a Newb...

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 2 months ago #48062

• Hell75
  • Thank you received: 13
You could try this as demonstrated brilliantly in a movie!

Spaceball Defense

Very defensive!
Yeah... Mel Brooks was a genius
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Hell75.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 2 months ago #48063

• Gaelis
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Hi, my approach would be to present the saber to entice a "clash" then rapidly withdraw and strike his hands or arms.
Also use tiny orbits, if he is flailing from your left to your right, lead the motion away from his saber and circle behind it to smack his hands, shoulder etc.
Also: get in close.
For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

The Newb strikes back 1 year 2 months ago #48314

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
So I got involved in my first saber duels. I'm now 36 we ended up with one guy around my age and 2 in their low 20's. I won around 75% of my fights, so of course I talked smack and just lived in the fact my used to be athletic self could still show up. 48 hrs later and I know I won the battle, but lost the war, I freaking hurt I'm sore in places I can't mention! In the end will I do this again? Oh hell yes
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 1 month ago #54288

• MasterClayton
  • Thank you received: 2
Soresu is your best chance. You have to focus on the blade alone and think only of protecting your body. A lot of people just flail around and yet they still win. As I Master I have practiced using both Vapaad and Soresu together. it sounds crazy but it actually works really well. Almost like a crazy defense:) I am a light side user by the way and you have to be very careful with Vapaad!
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by MasterClayton. Reason: Grammar

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 3 weeks ago #56887

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
From what I've seen the biggest issue with Noobs is they are totally random. And as was stated b4 they go for stick smacking. So let them, when they overextend or really telegraph deflect and lunge. I personally tend to use Makashi
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV

How to Beat a Newb... 4 months 2 weeks ago #71753

• Neith
  • Nothin'.
A simple answer is tsuki. People lacking in experience have difficulty countering it.
By way of a more detailed alternative, I find it useful to maintain distance and force them to reach -- generally, they won't step forward, because they are afraid of being hit, so instead, they lean forward and reach out. If you practice the technique to fluidity, this is a good opportunity to step back and strike downwards at their wrist; even if you aren't successful, it is a simple matter from there to return to chudan no kamae, and if you feel they are in retreat, you may press your attack with a subsequent tsuki.

Additionally, there is no need to block every attack -- in fact, if something is useless, it's important that you allow them to go through with it.
"An inch of water fills an inch of cavity," I've heard. Allow them to create spaces for you to fill.

As a sidenote, I'm aware I'm using kendo terminology, and I apologize if this is inconvenient, but it is what I know.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Themed Sabers (808 Posts)
    • Quote: It's a 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' reference; in the Grinch song it says: "I wouldn't touch...
    • Saber Forge at Wizard Wor... (1 Posts)
    • Saber Forge will be at Wizard World in Sacramento the weekend of June 16, 17, and 18! Wizard World...
    • Themed Sabers (808 Posts)
    • Quote: I call it, The Mean One. [image] [image]...[image] I see what...
    • PS-Luke V2 WIP (16 Posts)
    • Quote: I got a hankering for one of these. A bad one! :evil: It is your destiny....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5221
  • Latest Member: Williamastep
  • Total Posts: 55.9k
  • Total Topics: 4660
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 8
  • Yesterday Answer: 14