Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Starkiller Saber Fighting Style Questions

Starkiller Saber Fighting Style Questions 1 year 6 months ago #23785

• Jules Fortite the Last Jedi
  • Thank you received: 2
Anyone know where to find info on the fighting style Starkiller uses when he has the Raven style sith saber when he becomes Lord Starkiller? I bought the Raven SS Ultrasaber and would like to fight in that reverse grip style where the blade is facing back of hand
The topic has been locked.

Starkiller Saber Fighting Style Questions 1 year 2 months ago #49339

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
I'm gonna be pretty blunt when I say this, but since I believe you're referring to this version of Starkiller:

I'm going to tell you that reverse grip is all show. People see someone spinning and stabbing in reverse grip (like SK here, or Ashoka) and say 'hot dawg, that person looks like a badass!' And true, it does look cool. I can even vouch for spinning in reverse grip, as it does feel like the saber flows better when spinning.

However, pros (in my opinion) end there. If you're using a reverse grip, then that means the saber you are using in reverse grip is a defensive shoto, with your dominant hand in a standard hammer grip or katana grip. Personally, as an advocate for dual wielding sabers of the same length, I'm not a fan of shoto style. However, I can understand it's popularity.

Finally, if you don't want to take my word for it, TPLA recently released a video explaining (and debunking) some of the myths behind reverse grip. So in short, Starkiller's deal is meant for flair and badassery, not actual functionality.

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel
The following user(s) said Thank You: CallMeMistaJ

Starkiller Saber Fighting Style Questions 1 year 2 months ago #49341

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
Gonna chime in and mention that most of Starkiller's saber animations are in a standard grip. The reverse grip is reserved for idle and a couple of slashes.

As far as canon is concerned, his reverse grip was a variant of Form V Shien with bits of Form III Soresu and Form VII Juyo. I'm sure there're plenty of video references of the different saber styles online.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64, BoostinIX

Starkiller Saber Fighting Style Questions 1 year 2 months ago #49342

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
Kouri wrote:
Gonna chime in and mention that most of Starkiller's saber animations are in a standard grip. The reverse grip is reserved for idle and a couple of slashes.

As far as canon is concerned, his reverse grip was a variant of Form V Shien with bits of Form III Soresu and Form VII Juyo. I'm sure there're plenty of video references of the different saber styles online.

I was basing my point on my knowledge of real life saber use rather than the game, but your input is greatly appreciated, Kouri!

I can totally understand the influence of Shien and Soresu, then. Since I actually find spinning to flow a bit better with reverse grip, that makes sense in terms of deflections and the like. Don't know how Juyo would play a role in that, however. You can't get much power off of reverse swings unless you invest some serious momentum into your strikes.

Starkiller Saber Fighting Style Questions 1 year 2 months ago #49348

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
I'm not too familiar with the lightsaber styles myself, but I definitely remember Marek's hardest strikes coming down in a standard grip, then swapping back to reverse for the idle animation. With Form VII being the "Ferocious" style, I imagine he swapped into the standard grip to get the most power from its use.

EDIT: Also, I never meant to contradict you, Edd, but rather to confirm your point. Though Marek/Starkiller are known for the reverse grip, it's because the player spends so much time running or idle. Once combat picks up, the saber hilt is shifted into a standard grip for most of the fight.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Kouri.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Starkiller Saber Fighting Style Questions 1 year 2 months ago #49429

• Neeja_Halcyon
  • And of course I'm happy to spar with you. You're freshly out of combat, your reactions are sharp. I've been sitting idle for quite a while—I need the test."
  • Thank you received: 21
Tpla has been debunking reverse grip for a looooong time.

Its really impractical. Limits your movements and denesive arcs and reaction time.

Not a lot of control or precision with it.

Eddlyss64 wrote:
I'm gonna be pretty blunt when I say this, but since I believe you're referring to this version of Starkiller:

I'm going to tell you that reverse grip is all show. People see someone spinning and stabbing in reverse grip (like SK here, or Ashoka) and say 'hot dawg, that person looks like a badass!' And true, it does look cool. I can even vouch for spinning in reverse grip, as it does feel like the saber flows better when spinning.

However, pros (in my opinion) end there. If you're using a reverse grip, then that means the saber you are using in reverse grip is a defensive shoto, with your dominant hand in a standard hammer grip or katana grip. Personally, as an advocate for dual wielding sabers of the same length, I'm not a fan of shoto style. However, I can understand it's popularity.

Finally, if you don't want to take my word for it, TPLA recently released a video explaining (and debunking) some of the myths behind reverse grip. So in short, Starkiller's deal is meant for flair and badassery, not actual functionality.
"A word here, an act there, allowing people to choose between good or evil at their own speed and peril was more our way." -Hal Horn

Starkiller Saber Fighting Style Questions 1 year 2 months ago #49430

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Exactly, Neeja_Halcyon. Like I said, all I use it for is spinning, and even that I only do on a very small occasion (with reverse grip).

Starkiller Saber Fighting Style Questions 1 year 2 months ago #49466

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1601
I'm going to go against the grain here and disagree. Instrument/Weapon choice of a Lightsaber is comparable to a Sword/Katana/Blade. Reverse Grip wield (in practice) is commonly used during knife fights for speed, accuracy and precision. Granted that the longer the weapon the slower your swings and movement will become regardless of forward or reverse grip. For absolute aggression I imagine for this style of combat to be truly effective (in terms of Saber length) a 'shorter' Hilt with a maximum 26" (preferably shorter) can achieve the desired results.

The 'mastery' one dedicates to perfecting their chosen style is very plausible. Take Sport in general or for sake of example, specifically Tennis. There may be a conventional approach that is taught that follows 'traditional' methods for say performing a forehand swing. Introduce into this the unorthodox practice by 'exaggerated' movement of say Rafael Nadal's forehand swing.

Back to the matter of Reverse Grip Wielding, I immediately thought of the Fight Scene between Wu Jing and Donnie Yen in the Movie SPL. The reverse grip wield (noted is a short blade) claims notoriety IMO. Noted also, Yes, that interchange still occurs. The disadvantage is reach for the cost of speed however as a fighting style, not to be completely dismissed though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CallMeMistaJ

Starkiller Saber Fighting Style Questions 1 year 2 months ago #49845

• Neeja_Halcyon
  • And of course I'm happy to spar with you. You're freshly out of combat, your reactions are sharp. I've been sitting idle for quite a while—I need the test."
  • Thank you received: 21
It sure can look pretty though
Eddlyss64 wrote:
Exactly, Neeja_Halcyon. Like I said, all I use it for is spinning, and even that I only do on a very small occasion (with reverse grip).
"A word here, an act there, allowing people to choose between good or evil at their own speed and peril was more our way." -Hal Horn
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Member Introduction T... (2389 Posts)
    • Hi everybody ! Elouann, french lightsaber enthusiast ! I'm a student of the Sport Saber League,...
    • Family Photos (12 Posts)
    • Hoho, these are some awesome collections.
    • Family Photos (12 Posts)
    • Here's a pic of my WIP Bookcase All of these sabers are in some stage of work in progress. (this...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5225
  • Latest Member: KevinTrola
  • Total Posts: 55.9k
  • Total Topics: 4659
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 9