Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: DIY Sound Board Breakdown

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 7 months ago #55283

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
Kouri wrote:
Pico Crumble wasn't added for a similar reason that Crystal Shard isn't in the list - it's not really available to the public. CS is only available to volume saber builders, and Crumble is currently only available for mass order.

Also, while it has the built-in service menu, it might be a bit of a stretch to call it a color-changing board. It's purpose isn't to offer a cheap color-changing board, but rather an option for saber smiths and instructors to have one style of pre-built saber on hand that can be offered in multiple colors. The service menu can obviously be accessed by the end user, but isn't at all intended for them.

Really then, it would function just fine with a BBW or GGW Tri LED for a basic no-fuss saber with strong main blade and off-white flash, similar to an NB.

Eh, I guess this *is* an information thread though, so product availability aside, the info should be readily available. I'll see about getting that opening post updated later.

Thanks for the input. I hadn't realized it wasn't available to the public; when I saw it on the Plector Labs website with a price next to it (unlike the Shard which isn't listed anywhere, for obvious reasons) I just assumed it was out of stock like just about everything else on there (the only thing currently in stock is the PEx).
And for demonstration's sake, I probably should have linked to Erv's demo video instead instead of Shameem's:
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 7 months ago #55314

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 753
Huh, last I checked, Pico wasn't in the shop - but you're right - there it is. I guess Erv changed his mind on that mass-order thing.

Well I'll be picking one up and tinkering with a Green/Amber/RoyalBlue star.

Speaking of tinkering, just got some testing done on an Obsidian v4. Can confirm it'll take a single lithium-ion 18650, but sound volume does drop a bit.

EDIT: Sorry Ryan, lost your post in the page change. As for the 12W+ fix, it's actually not much - just a NanoBiscotte (v2 or v3) and a Power Extender. The Prizm mentions wiring a second PEx after the on-board PEx in case you want to wire four crossguard LEDs to a single channel.

I'll see about drawing up a wiring diagram, since it's different from the standard PEx hack, but easier to solder.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Kouri.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 7 months ago #56140

• fuzzjunk
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm looking to install a Spark 2 in my Chosen warrior 12w+ purple when it arrives. I was think about using the FoC feature, can anyone tell me if Saberfoge's 12w+ led will have 3 wires (1 for blue LEDs, 1 for red LEDs, 1 for battery) or just 2? Thanks in advance for the help!

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 7 months ago #56246

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
There will be at least three wires coming from the LED. Common Positive, RoyalBlue Negative, Red Negative.

Haven't handled a 12W+ Purple myself, so unsure exactly how many wires will be coming off. Both Royal Blue will likely be connected to the same negative wire, but each Red might be on a separate wire depending on what resistor(s) SF uses. If there are two Red Negative wires with resistors, just hook them both to the same channel on Spark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuzzjunk

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 7 months ago #56299

• fuzzjunk
  • Thank you received: 12
Thank you for the quick and informative response Kouri!

I was looking at the Spark 2 manual and they actually reference a purple LED in the wiring diagram (for FoC), so that should help me out. Thanks again!

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #58353

• alancheong
I have recently installed an economy soundcard salvaged from a cheap saber and also a pico crumble light side. have a look.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #61163

• RichellM
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
I'm looking at installing a Spark 2 on my ASP saber with a Saber Forge Red and Blue 12W+ LED (Purple). I'm familiar with all it's functions/electronics, but does anyone know if you can assign blade colors to each font? i.e. when you change the font, the blade colors also changed to a pre-programmed color...

I know that Spark Color 2 is capable of this...I was just wondering if Spark 2 is also capable. I really don't need/want the extra fonts nor the multicolor mixing options...

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #61164

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Yup yup. The Spark config utility will have separate color sliders for each font.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RichellM

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #61165

• RichellM
  • Premium Member
Kouri wrote:
Yup yup. The Spark config utility will have separate color sliders for each font.

Thanks Kouri! Do you know if Saberforge is willing to swap a Spark Color 2 with a Spark 2 if a Hero Tier is ordered?

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #61166

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
I doubt it. My guess is SF gets a wholesale discount on bulk-order Spark Colors that they keep in stock, so asking for a downgrade to Spark would wind up costing extra as a custom order, if it was even possible.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #61167

• RichellM
  • Premium Member
Kouri wrote:
I doubt it. My guess is SF gets a wholesale discount on bulk-order Spark Colors that they keep in stock, so asking for a downgrade to Spark would wind up costing extra as a custom order, if it was even possible.

Got it, thank you! By the way, Love this thread! A lot of good info you and everyone else provided!

Is there another similar thread on LEDs? I haven't actually looked, yet...

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #61170

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Closest thing I've written up is a guider on color-mixing with a Hero tier:

https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/open-topics/10712-tutorial-how-to-pick-colors-on-a-hero-saber

Beyond that, basic guidelines would be:

1) Grab an SF LED if you want something pre-built for 1" emitters.

2) If going full DIY, opt for a Tri-Cree XP-E2, unless you *really* want a Luxeon-specific color. Cree XP-E2s tend to be brighter than Luxeon Rebels.

3a) Luxeon Lime is the brightest single-color LED available on the market. It's a non-blue color putting out everything in the spectrum between Red and Green, averaging in a color between Yellow and Green.

3b) Luxeon Cyan is a single-color LED that varies between SF Cyan and SF Arctic Blue, depending on bin. No telling which shade you'll get, unless you want to order 1000 LEDs from the supplier to select a specific bin.

3c) Luxeon Blue is a slightly greener shade than Cree Blue. Basically, it's closer to SF Arctic Blue than it is to Light Blue.

3d) Luxeon Royal Blue is a smidge brighter than it's Cree counterpart, but if you're interested in color mixing, you're still better off with an XP-E2 RGrB since the Red and Green Crees are brighter and mix a better yellow.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #61172

• RichellM
  • Premium Member
Thanks again, Kouri! I'll stop bothering you...for now :)

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #61340

• DarthRiley
So since the boards don't control the brightness, if I decided to go with an economy board with my 12w led it wouldn't dim? I've got a thin neck saber and I don't want to lose any brightness but I want sound on the cheap.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #61343

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
A TIP42C reading off the economy board's LED- contact will indeed be able to handle a 12W+ without dimming.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 6 months ago #61345

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 203
Edit: Kouri got it :P
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by BoostinIX.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 5 months ago #61745

• DarthRiley
I saw a video on YouTube with somebody talking about the economy board wiring. I asked him about using one on my 12w+ saber with the 18650 battery and he said he wasn't sure of the led so I got a little concerned. Also I can only seem to find wiring diagrams for 3 triple A batteries and a regular cree LED unit. Can you maybe point me in the right direction for that?

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 5 months ago #61755

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
For economy boards, your LED choices are only limited by the current limits of the transistor and battery pack.

A TIP42C transistor has a current limit of 6A - enough for a 12W+ (typically running 3-5A).

A cheap Trustfire 18650 can put out about 5A, again enough for the 12W+, though you can always spend more on a higher-end 8-10A cell.

14500 cells cap at 2A and won't do. Nor any Alkaline battery pack.

---

I've gotten economy crossguard boards running a Tri-Cree main blade with single Cree quillons on a Trustfire 18650 no problem.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 5 months ago #62594

• Burns3558
  • Elite Member
  • The force is strong in my family...
  • Thank you received: 57
Looking to complete all the parts needed for a graflex 2.1 build using a crystal focus v8 - I want to do a tfa version. What do you guys think would be the best led for the tfa colored blade on a cfv8?

... White foc I guess but Id be open to any suggestions

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 1 year 5 months ago #62595

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Went with a RoyalBlue/Blue/White Tri-Cree on my last TFA build. The B/B/W I used the first time around was too close to cyan for my taste.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Core 3.0 getting ... (23 Posts)
    • Glad I saw this! Going to try all these tips
    • Sabercore 3.0 Swing Issue... (27 Posts)
    • Hello, New to the boards here. I believe I’m having the same issue. Just got a few sabers in a...
    • Mystery saber adaptabilit... (7 Posts)
    • thanks for the info guys, looks like ill just have to buy more! haha.
    • Mystery saber adaptabilit... (7 Posts)
    • The short version is no, mystery sabers aren't built for compatibility with the ASP plug-and-play...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6313
  • Latest Member: SyberDog
  • Total Posts: 63k
  • Total Topics: 5311
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 6
  • Yesterday Open: 10
  • Today Answer: 58
  • Yesterday Answer: 76