Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Looking for AV switches in cool colors?

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 1 year 1 day ago #62840

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
Looking for AV momentary switches that aren't the standard black or silver? Then check out places that sell vaping mod supplies! I grabbed an anodized red one and pure brass one from a website called dripp3d.com, but there are a lot of them out there to choose from, including some UK based ones.

They arrived just under 48 hours after I placed the order for them (they originated in Texas), and for $2 something shipping they were shipped in a sturdy box instead of a flexible envelop.

The red one is from a brand called Fat Daddy Vapes (on the website it was listed under FDV 12mm soft tactile switch), and came in anodized black, silver, red, copper, and brass. It goes for $3.75, has a 12mm body with a 14mm face (VERY important, since the SF switch holes have that exact hole and countersink(?) measurement), 9mm button face, and 12mm overall height.

The brass one didn't have a specific brand name I could see; it was simply listed as12mm flat brass push button. It's made from brass as opposed to colored like it, so it will develop a patina (which is what I wanted to match my screws I used in my saber) if not polished. It costs $4, has a 12mm body with a 16mm face (I was aware of this when I purchased it) and 10.8mm overall height.

Both switches require quite a bit of pressure to depress (if you've used the tactile switches that come with the Graflex 2.0 kit, they're like that) compared to other momentary switches I've encountered. Combined with how the buttons are flush with the switch faces, there's no chance of accidental activation when handling your saber. Because of this, there is a very faint click when they are depressed. Both switches are rated for 18VDC, so well within the parameters for a lightsaber application.

Cram fu practitioners rejoice!

These switches have a very small footprint inside the hilt, but don't expect to get the included nut on them. These are gonna have to be glued in.

Without the included o-rings:

With the o-rings:

I'm going to see if I can cut/sand down the excess face material off the brass one, otherwise I'll have to order the FDV anodized one and see if I can weather it somehow.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
Last Edit: 1 year 23 hours ago by Jaden Korr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=, OvrcAHst, HotRod, jonnys95s10, Muns, Gnost-Dural

Lookong for AV switches in cool colors? 1 year 1 day ago #62844

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
Oooooo I'll be looking at these later

Lookong for AV switches in cool colors? 1 year 1 day ago #62845

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 615
Meant to try those Fat Daddy switches on my ASP hilt and totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, if you don't feel like gluing, a tip I picked up elsewhere is to wrap the switch threads with enough electric tape so that they've got a friction-fit into the switch hole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr

Lookong for AV switches in cool colors? 1 year 1 day ago #62846

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
That's how I leave mine the first few days, test phase and such.

Now if I could just get the rattle out of my phoenix hilt, lol

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 1 year 22 hours ago #62850

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 110
Been waiting for you to post on these switches as I figured you wanted to have weathered brass like me. Is the thread body and flange a solid piece of brass? Just curious if I could turn it down to 14mm in a lathe.

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 1 year 16 hours ago #62869

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
It does look like the face and the body are different pieces. There's the tiniest bit of space between the two, but it still feels pretty solid.

I didn't get to it yet (Pokémon Go wore me out today), but tomorrow I'll try some stuff out on it.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonnys95s10

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 1 year 3 hours ago #62909

• KPax10
  • Thank you received: 13
KEWL BEANS!
Thanks for posting this - I've noticed TCSS and Solo's Hold are "out of stock" on the lighted AV switches as of yesterday (7/14). I was also looking elsewhere and found some nice ones listed under 'Marine/Boat' parts and some for Custom electrical Car parts - although most of the ones I found were larger 16mm and 19mm :(

I'm SO tempted to use an 'on switch' logo... just for giggles...

Silly NOOB QUESTION regarding the switches in general - The ones you show have only TWO prongs, but most of the ones I see on TCSS or SH or elsewhere have FOUR. Is there a function limitation between the two types? meaning, will I not be able to do something with the switch that has two that I really need 4?
-= Kylo Pax-Ren =-
Last Edit: 1 year 2 hours ago by KPax10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuUpberSith

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 1 year 2 hours ago #62911

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
The extra two prongs are for the switch LED. They'll be marked with a + and - sign.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
The following user(s) said Thank You: KPax10

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 11 months 4 weeks ago #62919

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
Was kinda bummed. Wish the smaller ones (our size) has as many color choices as the bigger ones.

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 11 months 4 weeks ago #62950

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
I'm liking the new segmented LED switches that Saberforge is coming out with. It's a small change, but I think those look good. I wish we could get more patterned LEDs on the switches, like this maybe:

I'm sure there are technical challenges that would prevent something like this, but it would be cool.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted
Last Edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by HotRod.

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 11 months 4 weeks ago #62953

• Muns
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Nice! Exactly what I needed.

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 11 months 3 weeks ago #63045

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
Finally got the brass switch sanded down today; just used mostly low grit sandpaper (with some higher ones for smoothing it out) and elbow grease. It may not be perfectly circular anymore, but it works and is still wide enough it pressure fits into the hilt.

I didn't use the included o-ring so it would have a slightly lower profile.

Testing it with the ASP parts
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
Last Edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by Jaden Korr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonnys95s10

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 11 months 3 weeks ago #63073

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 110
Very nice I like it a lot! It will look even better once the brass gets some patina on it. I will definitely have to go with that switch when I upgrade to sound from my warrior electronics. I wish they made latching switches.

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 11 months 3 weeks ago #63088

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
Some "silver" latching switches, like THIS one, are actually nickel plated brass. I have heard of people stripping the plating off, but I don't know the exact details of the process.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0

Looking for AV switches in cool colors? 11 months 3 weeks ago #63105

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
That Brass Switch is sick!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Want to Ask Phil a Saber ... (23 Posts)
    • Quote: We represent an infinitesimal percentage of the customer base, here in the forum. I would love to...
    • We represent an infinitesimal percentage of the customer base, here in the forum. I would love to...
    • Quote: Having thought about it a bit, guys like me and the others who think building is part of fun of this...
    • Double Reveal MPP Coming ... (17 Posts)
    • Quote: I don't do social media :( I dont want to do the NSA's job for them But honestly, if im not on a...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5335
  • Latest Member: Adup
  • Total Posts: 56.5k
  • Total Topics: 4730
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 120
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 20
  • Yesterday Answer: 37