Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers?

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 1 year 3 months ago #63965

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Has anyone tried using a 26650 battery (instead of an 18650) in their sabers? Will this even fit the battery pack?

I saw a 26650 3400mah rechargeable li-ion battery online and was wondering if it would work for us.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 1 year 3 months ago #63970

• Drahem
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 27
I believe naigon installed one on his relic. It shouldn't pose a problem. But I have yet to try to use a 26650.
I own, Relic, Archons x2. Bane x2. Templar.

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 1 year 3 months ago #63971

• WookieeGunner
  • Thank you received: 11
A 26650 won't fit the battery pack and may not fit the saber. The first 2 digits is the diameter of the battery and the second 2 is the length, so an 18650 is 18mm x 65mm. A 26650 is 26mm x 65mm. I think SF uses a strict 1" hole through the saber so the 26650 would be about .5mm too wide.

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 1 year 3 months ago #63981

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
WookieeGunner wrote:
A 26650 won't fit the battery pack and may not fit the saber. The first 2 digits is the diameter of the battery and the second 2 is the length, so an 18650 is 18mm x 65mm. A 26650 is 26mm x 65mm. I think SF uses a strict 1" hole through the saber so the 26650 would be about .5mm too wide.

The body pieces are actually around 1.125" or 28mm. So while it would just barely fit in the hilt, you are correct that you won't be able to just plop it into the existing battery holder. Naigon did use one in his Relic build, but I assume it was a wired pack.

Thanks for the info about the naming convention for these batteries. I had been wondering where the numbers came from! :)
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 1 year 3 months ago #64018

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 693
I won't recommend that 26650 you're looking at. For 3400mAh, you're better off with the Panasonic-cell 18650s you can get from Saberforge with the 10A cutoff. Alternatively, Keep Power 18650 use the same cell and cutoff and might cost less in bulk.

On the 26650 end of things, KeepPower makes a 5200mAh cell with 10A cutoff, but you'll need a relatively long body for sound since the soundboard and battery have to be placed end-to-end, rather than stacked side-by-side.

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 4 months 2 weeks ago #76334

• snaX087
I know this is an old thread, but could you perhaps post a link to the keeppower 26650 you are referring to? I am about to build a neopixel saber and would love to have a higher capacity battery to experiment with. Thanks!

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 4 months 2 weeks ago #76346

• armsofilum
  • Thank you received: 1
Understanding this is an old thread, but the relatively new NCR20700B from Panasonic/Sanyo makes a lot of sense for neopixel builds that can't fit a 26650.

This is probably the best price I've seen on them: https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/panasonic-sanyo-ncr20700b?variant=30186936017

I'm planning to use one in a SF Fallen build in the very near future.

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 4 months 2 weeks ago #76352

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 373
Hehe... only new to the general public. We (Metabo Power Tools) worked with Sanyo/Panasonic to develop those cells for our cordless power tools and introduced a whole new cordless platform based on them in 2015. Been waiting for lower Amp draw and higher runtime versions to hit the general market. (a lightsaber does NOT need the 35A versions we put in the packs for the tools, lol)

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 4 months 2 weeks ago #76353

• armsofilum
KelbornX wrote:
Hehe... only new to the general public. We (Metabo Power Tools) worked with Sanyo/Panasonic to develop those cells for our cordless power tools and introduced a whole new cordless platform based on them in 2015. Been waiting for lower Amp draw and higher runtime versions to hit the general market. (a lightsaber does NOT need the 35A versions we put in the packs for the tools, lol)

I think they're really intriguing cells. Dimensionally, they're not a whole lot larger than 18650s, but they're actually around 30% larger volumetrically. It'll be interesting to see what happens with energy density and these cells moving forward.

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 4 months 2 weeks ago #76354

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
Define "Need".... :P

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 4 months 2 weeks ago #76370

• snaX087
I was looking at those yesterday actually. Is it not unsafe to use an unprotected cell??

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 4 months 2 weeks ago #76375

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 373
armsofilum wrote:

I think they're really intriguing cells. Dimensionally, they're not a whole lot larger than 18650s, but they're actually around 30% larger volumetrically. It'll be interesting to see what happens with energy density and these cells moving forward.

Lets just say that if you put 20 of them in a 36v pack you can run a 9" cordless angle grinder. DeWalt is just getting in the 6" cordless grinder game (Metabo was there last year). They're in some Telsa models now too.

But yeah, the whole inside of the cell has be redesigned for higher density and less resistance. So not only can they pack more charge, they're more efficient and don't heat up as much as 18650s.

snaX087 wrote:
I was looking at those yesterday actually. Is it not unsafe to use an unprotected cell??

Yes, it is. I wouldn't use those particular cells that were linked. Hopefully they start hitting more of the general market soon and we get versions with a PCB protection circuit on them.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by KelbornX.

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 4 months 2 weeks ago #76377

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 637
I prefer to let batteries "breathe" a little inside the chassis/hilt. This one is a big battery. And they heat up during use and recharge.
"I am the Senate"

Can a 26650 battery be used for our sabers? 4 months 2 weeks ago #76383

• armsofilum
KelbornX wrote:

snaX087 wrote:

Yes, it is. I wouldn't use those particular cells that were linked. Hopefully they start hitting more of the general market soon and we get versions with a PCB protection circuit on them.

Yeah, they aren't super user-friendly right now as protected options aren't out there for general consumption. I'll probably add a 15A protection circuit to any that I use, but most people are probably better off using high drain/high density 18650s for the time being.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Double Reveal MPP Coming ... (94 Posts)
    • oh, i'm not wanting it rushed at all. I've a spot next to my Crystal Prodigal Son waiting for this...
    • Nothing official, but with something as intricate as this obviously is, and being the first of its...
    • Mystery Box Sabers Have R... (70 Posts)
    • Samesies
    • Mystery Box Sabers Have R... (70 Posts)
    • The only extra thing I picked was the battery/charger one. Everything else is random with my order....
    • Quote: I know on one of the Facebook groups, someone had asked about the mk2 status and Phil replied that...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5948
  • Latest Member: HeatherPet
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5116
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 24
  • Yesterday Answer: 33