Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 12w+ PRIZM V4?

12w+ PRIZM V4? 10 months 1 week ago #66089

• AvalonEtc.
  • Thank you received: 1
I was wondering about the PRIZM V4 soundboard by Ole yet Labs working with a Saberforge 12w+ LED. For a saber I'm going to be doing, I'm going to be using an amber/amber/green/white LED, and I was wondering if I were to wire the two ambers in parallel to the channel 1 pad, would both LEDs be run at their full capacity?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

12w+ PRIZM V4? 10 months 1 week ago #66091

• Khang
  • Thank you received: 25
According to the manual, that's not an issue.

That said, I wouldn't use amber in your build, mainly because amber is a very dim LED by nature. If SF offered PC amber, it'd be different, but they don't.

12w+ PRIZM V4? 10 months 1 week ago #66097

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 610
It actually might work, yeah. What I initially assumed was a 2.5A limit for the entire board, re-reading, it might just be a 2.5A limit per channel.

That said, since this is a color mixing board, I'd actually recommend an Amber/Amber/Green/RoyalBlue with both Amber on C1, Green on C2, and Royal Blue on C3. Guesstimating here, but you should be able to manage White FoC with Amber 50%, Green 50%, RoyalBlue 100%, and this opens up a bunch of shades of Blue that wouldn't have been possible with the A/A/G/W star.

That said, I don't know if I've seen anyone order a 4-color custom star with all four LEDs addressable. Last few folks that tried to re-wire their LEDs wound up with two-channel stars. I'd love to find out it's possible, though, since I've got a build coming up that I'd like to use a RedOrange/Green/Green/RoyalBlue star on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Snakeeyz99

12w+ PRIZM V4? 10 months 1 week ago #66098

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
What worries me here is this phrase in the manual:

The Plecter Labs direct drive (3 channels) section of the Petit Crouton PRIZM Board
can drive up to 2A and works with any high power LED featuring a forward voltage
(Vf) lower or equal to 3.8V

If the channels could only handle 2A combined (the max setting per channel is ~1024), running all of the LEDs at once would limit their overall brightness significantly. As Kouri outlined in the soundboard breakdown thread, this seems to be the case since the board is limited to 6W of power portioned across 3 channels:

LED Support: RGB mixing. 10 Color Profiles. 6W limit split between up to three channels.

The only time you would be able to run full power to the ambers would be when the green and white LEDs are completely off.

Edit:

It actually might work, yeah. What I initially assumed was a 2.5A limit for the entire board, re-reading, it might just be a 2.5A limit per channel.

That said, since this is a color mixing board, I'd actually recommend an Amber/Amber/Green/RoyalBlue with both Amber on C1, Green on C2, and Royal Blue on C3. Guesstimating here, but you should be able to manage White FoC with Amber 50%, Green 50%, RoyalBlue 100%, and this opens up a bunch of shades of Blue that wouldn't have been possible with the A/A/G/W star.

That said, I don't know if I've seen anyone order a 4-color custom star with all four LEDs addressable. Last few folks that tried to re-wire their LEDs wound up with two-channel stars. I'd love to find out it's possible, though, since I've got a build coming up that I'd like to use a RedOrange/Green/Green/RoyalBlue star on.

I thought this might be the case as well, but only because the section about the quillons implies that you could use multiple PEXs to run above 2A:
The quillons blades LEDs are both controlled by a secondary channel of the PC and will be delayed with tridentm(ix)=0010 which will delay channel 2. In the example below, they are controlled by a single channel / onboard PEx if the load permits it. If the power required by the quillons LEDs is greater than 2A, a second power Extender can be wired on channel 2 to split the load between the 2 secondary blades.

I wasn't certain though, but I'm glad to see someone else is confused by the manuals. I wish the spec information in them was a bit more robust, honestly.
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Snakeeyz99. Reason: Kouri beat me again
The following user(s) said Thank You: AvalonEtc.

12w+ PRIZM V4? 10 months 1 week ago #66104

• AvalonEtc.
  • Thank you received: 1
I, actually was going to use all 4 dies to power a sort-of, pastel kind of golden yellow. I just wanted to be able to have each individual color individually addressable (as opposed to just simply using a Spark 2 or Speak Color 2 [a touch wierd, I know...])

12w+ PRIZM V4? 10 months 1 week ago #66115

• RichellM
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
Kouri wrote:
...That said, I don't know if I've seen anyone order a 4-color custom star with all four LEDs addressable. Last few folks that tried to re-wire their LEDs wound up with two-channel stars. I'd love to find out it's possible, though, since I've got a build coming up that I'd like to use a RedOrange/Green/Green/RoyalBlue star on.

AvalonEtc. wrote:
I, actually was going to use all 4 dies to power a sort-of, pastel kind of golden yellow. I just wanted to be able to have each individual color individually addressable (as opposed to just simply using a Spark 2 or Speak Color 2 [a touch wierd, I know...])

I ordered a couple of 2 color LEDs from the shopsaberparts site and each die was addressable (4 channel stars...I tested it!). I just mentioned "These LEDs are for a Hero tier saber" and the color combination I wanted (i.e. change 4xRed to 2xRed/2xDeep Blue) in the comments. I don't know if this did it, or that I got lucky, but it is possible to get 4 channel stars.

Maybe just need to be more specific in the description, i.e. "provide 4 channel star (X4?)"..."each LED will be connected to their own channel"

I think that mentioning "it is for Hero Tier Saber" means that the stars would need to be 4 channel since each LED will need to be connected to their own channel on a SparkColor2...I think...

Here's a couple of my conversations with SFCS that enabled me to buy the said LEDs...I don't know if they will help with your questions:

RichellM wrote:
SFCS,
I would like to order a 2xGreen 2xRed DIY 12W+ LED on shopsaberparts.com. Can I do it? If so, how do I go about ordering it on shopsaberparts.com since it is not listed as one of the options?

Melissa wrote:
Hello! To do this, you would need to purchase an LED star, the heat sink, and lens from the "Do-It-Yourself Electronics" section. In the comments section, specify what dies you would like, and we can send you a star with those dies installed.

May the Forge be with you!
Melissa

RichellM wrote:
SFCS,
Another question: On the main SF site under accessories, is it possible to order a 2 color Quad Cree 12W+ LED? For example, red as the first color and purple as the second color?

India wrote:
Hello! Our 2 color LEDs are not 12W, they are roughly the equivalent of a 6W. The dual color LEDs are only compatible with our Hero board sabers. Is this going to be for a Hero saber? If so, you would want to purchase a 12W LED and put in the order notes that it is for a Hero LED and the two colors you need.

May the Forge be with you!
India
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by RichellM.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5307
  • Latest Member: RobdertHeX
  • Total Posts: 56.3k
  • Total Topics: 4718
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0