Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Nano Biscotte With 12w Green LED

Nano Biscotte With 12w Green LED 1 year 3 months ago #68095

• onue2
Hello, I was planning on installing a Nano Biscotte V3 board into my Gladius saber. Right now I seem to have everything I need to do this install including a 12w Green LED that came with the saber.

Would this setup between the 12w LED and NB v3 work? I've seen some problems with conflicts between the NB v2 with these same LEDs in previous forums.

Any resistor troubles I should be worried about? Any feedback on the compatibility between these two parts would be great cause I cannot wait to have my first saber with sound!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Nano Biscotte With 12w Green LED 1 year 3 months ago #68096

• Brady329
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Just so you know, the NB V3 will only half power the 12w LED. Check out the DIY Sound Board Breakdown that Kouri did. He's the man to ask as far as electronics go!

Nano Biscotte With 12w Green LED 1 year 3 months ago #68097

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
If you want cheap sound on a 12W LED, all you need is a $15-20 BladeBuilder soundboard and a $5 TIP42 transistor from RadioShack. You can re-use the speaker that comes with the toy, or swap in a different one. I've successfully used an 8ohm 2W bass speaker in my own testing.

Nano Biscotte's a nice beginner soundboard, for sure, but the main LED channel has about a 6W limit. If you want to safely use a 12W, you'd need to resistor each channel to limit overall current.

If you want a hobby board that can support the LED, Spark 2 doesn't cost much more than NB and technically has a 48W limit - though I wouldn't recommend trying to run that much power through the LED channels.

Nano Biscotte With 12w Green LED 1 year 3 months ago #68106

• WookieeGunner
  • Thank you received: 11
Is the 6W limit on both main and Flas on Clash? For example could you wire 2dies to the Nano Biscotti v3 for blade and two for FoC?

Nano Biscotte With 12w Green LED 1 year 3 months ago #68108

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
On NBv3, it's a roughly 6W limit on Main, 3W limit on FoC. The green is probably built on an X2 star, so you could wire one contact straight to Main (while adjusting NB's Drive parameter), but you'd want to resistor the second contact going to FoC to limit its power draw.

NBV2 relied on PEX for FoC, and PEX has the same 6W limit as the Main transistor.

Alternatively, I've heard murmurs of the X2 stars hitting thermal resistance right quick and not pulling more than 2A anyway. I don't have any 12W+ LEDs to test this myself, but this goes along with the few mentions I've heard of folks wiring a 12W+ directly to NB's Main channel without a PEX hack. I can't confirm any of this though.

For what it's worth, my own multimeter showed a one-up PC Amber XP-E2 (resisted) drawing 0.9-1A from a fresh battery, and a 6W+ Medium Blue pulling 1.8-1.9A, so I don't think there's much truth to the rumors, but again, I don't have any 12W+ LEDs to test the idea myself.

All that out of the way, trying to make the blade brighter with a same-color FoC ends up with a really disappointing result. A good FoC isn't about making the blade brighter, but changing the blade to a contrasting color.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Kouri.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• VV Blade Plugs Compatible... (7 Posts)
    • Quote: Wait.... Yep. :dry: It's what I've experienced and not just with VV Plugs into VV emitters but VV...
    • [FOR SALE] DOWNSIZING CLE... (13 Posts)
    • [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]
    • VV Blade Plugs Compatible... (7 Posts)
    • Wait....so according to those numbers, their blade plug is a hair too big to fit into their own...
    • Another Star Wars Trilogy... (12 Posts)
    • I am very excited by this news! There's no singleplayer game I have completed more often than the...
    • Favorite Saberforge Saber... (19 Posts)
    • Without a doubt is my ASP Reborn saberstaff. Brass/Gold powdercoat ribbs, milled shine thru Reborn...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6547
  • Latest Member: sammy12369
  • Total Posts: 65.2k
  • Total Topics: 5521
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 137
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 26
  • Yesterday Answer: 43