Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Sound Troubleshooting

Sound Troubleshooting 5 months 6 days ago #68956

• MasterCurtis
So I have a strange issue that I thought maybe someone here could help me troubleshoot! I have a saber with a Spark2, 3.7V battery, Saberforge green pre-resistored LED, and a low profile speaker (at the correct ohms/ watts for the board). My saber won't make any sound. The LED and flicker function normally, but no sound comes out. If I lightly touch the speaker it makes sound, but momentarily after I let go it stops. I've even tried switching out the speaker for another identicle one but the problem persists! It should be noted that this was my first installation, and I have no housing/ frame/ heatsink for the speaker because it wouldn't fit inside. Also I couldn't do a proper chassis because it's an ASP and all of the parts twist.

Any help and gentle advice would be greatly appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sound Troubleshooting 5 months 5 days ago #68986

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 209
Are you doing the testing outside of the main body?

Some pictures would be very helpful. Sounds like a short or maybe a bad wire/solder joint.

Sound Troubleshooting 5 months 5 days ago #69000

• MasterCurtis

Yeah man sure.

The problem is super strange. The speaker won't work unless I put a small amount of pressure (like just barely touching) on it. I've tested in and outside of the body and re-soldered it and it's always the same. I'm worried I damaged it because I didn't really secure it.
Last Edit: 5 months 5 days ago by MasterCurtis. Reason: Missing photos

Sound Troubleshooting 5 months 4 days ago #69018

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 209
Some things I'm seeing.

1) It looks like you have the battery fully exposed in the hilt, and the speaker might be bumping up against it which could cause some weird stuff to happen and short it out. I would suggest at the very least, wrapping the end of the battery in electrical tape to insulate it.
2) you soldered the wires to the speaker so they come down from the top, I would reverse that so the wires come up the back of the speaker. this will help keep them from rubbing or being bent by the hilt when you put the speaker in.
3) You may simply have a bad wire. Looks like you used pretty thin gauge wire, so I would de-solder those from the speaker and board and try a new ones.
4) If you have the board kind of loose in the hilt, I would suggest insulating it either with heat shrink or some electrical tape. You could do a sort of SF style internal mount and sort of glue/tape the board on top of the battery and then give it a wrap in thin Velcro in two spots so it fits snug in the hilt.

Sound Troubleshooting 5 months 4 days ago #69025

• MasterCurtis
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely replace the wiring to the speaker. This was my first install and I wanted to try my best to separate all my wiring by colour. For whatever reason it was really difficult to find 26 gauge wire where I am. I had to settle on 28 for the speakers. I've actually got a few spools of wiring coming with some other parts from TCSS at the moment, so when those arrive I'll be sure to switch it out and solder from the back as you suggested! Also I'm going to switch the premium speaker out for a 2W bass speaker as I recently read that they're more durable. Also I read a couple of reviews on TCSS where other people said the premium speaker crapped out on them. As for the battery I did cover it all the way around with heat shrink, but I was careful to leave a little bit extra on either end to cover my solder joints. I really wanted to secure my board to the side of the battery and secure the speaker to the bottom of the that, but the Spark 2 is just too wide and won't fit along side my battery in my ASP body. I did insulate everything by heat shrinking a few joints that were close together and by inserting plastic tubing into the body. I think my issue here may just have been a faulty speaker. I hope so anyway!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Securing PnP kit (10 Posts)
    • You'll likely find that the PnP Kit will be snug enough already (Kit OD against the Hilts ID). If...
    • Finally received some ASP... (2 Posts)
    • Today I received my Venom body and Jade Fire pommel, both in standard finish. I was afraid that the...
    • Hi OOBram, The difference with Heat Shrink and Bubble Wrap is that Heat Shrink is in close contact...
    • Is static electricity an issue, when the pnp kit is shrinkwrapped already?

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4815
  • Latest Member: StephenIsota
  • Total Posts: 54.2k
  • Total Topics: 4396
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 8
  • Yesterday Answer: 35