Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 3x linked Amber Led Resistor's

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 1 year 1 day ago #70635

• Vechaljian
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
I got my Monarch in, not my first Build, But I don't do much of red/amber sabers, I got a die from ASP DIY with 3x Amber and 1 white, I'm using a Spark2, If I link the 3x Amber at the led to and run a single wire back can I still use the 1ohm resistor or do I need 1 ohm per die? trying to save wiring space.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 1 year 1 day ago #70651

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
You could just use a single resistor. One per LED though would be better from a fail-safe standpoint were you to get a loose wire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vechaljian

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 1 year 2 hours ago #70678

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 756
Keep in mind that with all three LEDs running on one line, you'll need to adjust resistor calculations for a ~3000mA LED. So yes, you can use a single resistor, but no, the 1ohm is too high for three LEDs without hampering brightness.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70718

• Vechaljian
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for the info, I've Decided to just run separate resistors, the Monarch has plenty of space for it. But after I started looking at the XQ-E data sheet I'm not seeing a AMBER DIE, It has something called PC AMBER which Has a higher forward voltage than say red-orange. so the question now being do I go off the PC AMBER or red-orange for the XQ-E or just fall back on the XP-E2 specs that I'm used to using?
Also not sure if I'm linking 2 or 3 ambers to the blade color or if I'm going make a Amber/white FOC.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70719

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
SF never really came out and specified. My personal assumption is that they are indeed PC Amber, and that's why the Yellow blend had to be reformulated after the 12W>12W+ change (PCAmber is brighter and less orange than the previous version). I've never ordered a 12W+ Amber to confirm this though.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70720

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
At 1amp, the PC Amber runs at 3.5v, so no resistor should be needed. Same voltage as the blue.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70721

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
That should be fine on the Spark 2 since it comes pre-configured with the drive parameters at 85%, but I'll leave a note here that folks on non-NEC boards or in stunt setups will probably want a 0.3-0.5ohm resistor on any Blue LED.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70723

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Kouri wrote:
That should be fine on the Spark 2 since it comes pre-configured with the drive parameters at 85%, but I'll leave a note here that folks on non-NEC boards or in stunt setups will probably want a 0.3-0.5ohm resistor on any Blue LED.

Am I wrong in assuming the Blue LEDs should overclock assuming there's a good heatsink?

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70724

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
I won't say you're wrong. The majority of blue LEDs (PC Amber included - it's just a Phosphor-Converted Blue) will *survive* the overdrive, but there's still a significantly sized minority of super-efficient blues mixed in the batch that will burn out after a short while. I don't think it's worth the risk when there are diminishing returns above 1200mA anyway.

Going off memory, but 3.5v is the rated maximum of the LED. Just going off averages, it will probably be at 3.4v or less at 1000mA. Imagine an especially efficient blue rated at 3.1-3.2v @ 1000mA being subjected to 4v+ off a freshly charged lithium-ion.
Last Edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by Kouri.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70725

• Vechaljian
  • Platinum Member
On the safe side I'm just gonna run some .50 resistors, I have plenty of those. Thanks everyone for the help, Ill post some pictures once I get it done, waiting on the 3d printed chassis at this point.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70726

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Kouri wrote:
I won't say you're wrong. The majority of blue LEDs (PC Amber included - it's just a Phosphor-Converted Blue) will *survive* the overdrive, but there's still a significantly sized minority of super-efficient blues mixed in the batch that will burn out after a short while. I don't think it's worth the risk when there are diminishing returns above 1200mA anyway.

Going off memory, but 3.5v is the rated maximum of the LED. Just going off averages, it will probably be at 3.4v or less at 1000mA. Imagine an especially efficient blue rated at 3.1-3.2v @ 1000mA being subjected to 4v+ off a freshly charged lithium-ion.

Good point, I hadn't thought of the possibility of variances in the LED bins.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70727

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
If you're going to use 0.5ohm resistors on Spark, be sure to adjust the Drive on whatever channel you wire those Amber to up to about 95%.

Not sure why, but the Spark config tool gets buggy when you try and set it to 99%, saving properly the first time, but re-loading the value as 75%.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70728

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Kouri wrote:
If you're going to use 0.5ohm resistors on Spark, be sure to adjust the Drive on whatever channel you wire those Amber to up to about 95%.

Not sure why, but the Spark config tool gets buggy when you try and set it to 99%, saving properly the first time, but re-loading the value as 75%.

I'll second that. I've missed that more than once and wondered why the blade looks slightly dimmer since I added that new sound font....

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 4 weeks ago #70729

• Vechaljian
  • Platinum Member
Jas-Ot wrote:
Kouri wrote:

I'll second that. I've missed that more than once and wondered why the blade looks slightly dimmer since I added that new sound font....

I'll third that lol, I have gotten used to changing it every time I make any adjustments, and I double check it in the notepad settings prior to loading it on the SD card.

3x linked Amber Led Resistor's 11 months 3 weeks ago #70870

• Vechaljian
  • Platinum Member
Here's my burn in testing of the led's, the crystal is linked to the main led, and also has a flash white behind it so it flashes with FoC.
---During flash

--- Normal
Last Edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by Vechaljian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Current lead time? (4 Posts)
    • Quote: I think perhaps you misunderstand... I have no problem with lead times, I consider ordering a saber...
    • Continuous Upgrade expens... (20 Posts)
    • So the Champion Plug and Play Upgrade contains the Charging port, the battery, the speaker, and the...
    • Blade Length (2 Posts)
    • You can get the blade tube @ 40 inches uncut if your willing to make them yourself, need to also get...
    • Blade Length (2 Posts)
    • Is there any way to get a larger blade? 36"/37" seems to be the ideal length, however with the way...
    • Timing shims (3 Posts)
    • I'm building it myself. Thank you for the info man.

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6343
  • Latest Member: hfbncGap
  • Total Posts: 63.2k
  • Total Topics: 5331
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 19
  • Yesterday Answer: 29