Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Part List - Need help.

Part List - Need help. 10 months 4 weeks ago #71984

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94
Alright so this is the list of parts I have to put light and sound into my new pair of ASP hilts.

-GOTH 3Designs Speaker Holder (Link)
-GOTH 3Designs Universal Chassis (Link)
-Lighted Segmented Switch (Link) On it's way
-Recharge Port (Link)
-Low Profile Speaker (Link)
-18650 Battery (Link)
-I'm going with the Sabercore 2.0 soundboard in Crimson for the sake of sticking with what i'm familiar plus now we get rewards for every dollar spent lol.
-4xPr LED for Deep Red (Link)
-Focusing Lens (Link)
-Heat Sink (Link)

The couple of things I have questions on are

1. Is 26 AWG wire alright or is there a better size?

2. I also don't understand how to figure out what resistors I need so I don't know which to get?

3. There was a diagram floating around the forum that was a simple mockup of the wiring for the champion board but I can't find it now. Can anyone post that?

If there anything I'm missing from this list let me know and any advice you could give me would be appreciated I'm familiar with working on electronics and such but this is my first saber build. Also if there are any other threads that you think would be helpful for me post a link or direct me there please. Thanks guys
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Part List - Need help. 10 months 4 weeks ago #71985

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
Resistors: 1ohm 1-2watt will work for Red LEDs

Wiring - 26 AWG will likely be fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SadiraOrphesu

Part List - Need help. 10 months 4 weeks ago #71986

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
I hate to be that guy if this is super technical and if the answer is too long feel free not to go in depth but I'd like to understand. How do you figure that the 1ohm 1-2 watt will be fine for red and what makes it not good for different colors?

Part List - Need help. 10 months 4 weeks ago #71988

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
Ohms Law calculations basically. Just google it, and you'll learn more than you probably wanted to :-)

In a nutshell you do some math that says this is my starting voltage, this is the voltage I'd like to put at the LED, and this is the amperage I'd like this to happen with and viola, you spit out a resistor value.

So, that resistor value takes into account the source voltage which is 3.7 volts, and the forward voltage for the LED at 1 amp which on a red XQ-E is 2.6 volts.

Amber LED would use the same resistors as red
Green doesn't need any
Blue and White can overclock - but a .5ohm 3watt resistor would be what you'd use to keep it safe

That is specifically for the XQ-e LEDs on the SF X4 star and assuming a sound board that puts out 3.7 volts.

Those values are for full output, if you wanted to limit an LEDs power, say you wanted to mix two reds with two blues with the blues at 50% power, then you'd calculate a resistor value using 500ma rather than 1000ma. (in some cases there may be a voltage shift as well, and you'd need to look at the LEDs data sheet to figure that out).

Part List - Need help. 10 months 4 weeks ago #71991

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 431
There's a couple good videos from TCSS you can watch that will likely help you out too.

Finding My Resistor

Wiring Multi Die LEDs

Custom Colors Made Simple (talks about using resistors to limit a die)

Part List - Need help. 10 months 4 weeks ago #72001

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Thanks Guys!

Part List - More Questions 10 months 3 weeks ago #72120

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Hey guys, making sure I'm prepared to do this, my next questions are mainly to do with the LED unit.

1. So my first question, when I'm wiring up the LED star I'm doing the 4 Photo Red LED's for Deep Red. On the board I will have one wire coming off of one of the positive pads and 4 wires coming off of all four negative pads. Is this right?

2. Each of these negative wires is going to need it's own resistor because the resistors are calculated for an individual LED, correct?

On a more general note,

Is this a reasonable diagram of the proper wiring of a full hilt?

I understand how to connect the speaker, wire the recharge port and (if everything checks out above) wire the LED and this is the diagram I've found that checks out with what I know.
Last Edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by SadiraOrphesu.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Blade Length (2 Posts)
    • You can get the blade tube @ 40 inches uncut if your willing to make them yourself, need to also get...
    • Blade Length (2 Posts)
    • Is there any way to get a larger blade? 36"/37" seems to be the ideal length, however with the way...
    • Timing shims (3 Posts)
    • I'm building it myself. Thank you for the info man.
    • Saberforge Customs Price ... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: How long does it normally take them to reply to enquires? I sent them an email on the 20th Dec about...
    • Continuous Upgrade expens... (19 Posts)
    • If you go for an empty Elite hilt $150 plus ASP PNP Veteran $150 plus LED $40 plus AV switch $10...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6343
  • Latest Member: hfbncGap
  • Total Posts: 63.2k
  • Total Topics: 5331
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 17
  • Yesterday Answer: 29