Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 12W LED and Color Discs/Filters

12W LED and Color Discs/Filters 10 months 3 weeks ago #72134

• Kangmingjie
Hey guys. New to the forum here and wasn't sure which topic this should go under, so I'll try my luck here.

I have two 12W Acolytyes in medium blue. I love two red 12W's as well, but changing the LEDs is a pain even with the quick connects, so I'm thinking of getting a pair of 12W White units and using color discs or Lee Filters. The problem I've heard about the filters is that they'll melt from the heat produced by the 12W unit.

Does anyone know if this is the case or have experience using the filters?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

12W LED and Color Discs/Filters 10 months 3 weeks ago #72136

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 431
I don't know about the Lee filters, but...

I can attest that the colors you get with the color discs are pretty terrible. Especially with SF's Frost White LED, which isn't a pure white -- it's 3 white dies and 1 blue die. So reds end up more pink, greens end up mint green or light blue, and yellow just looks bad. Blue discs look the best, but you might as well just use a blue LED. And to actually get a strong hue you need to use multiple discs, which really dims the blade. Besides blue the only color I could make that looked halfway decent was orange, but it was very dim.

12W LED and Color Discs/Filters 10 months 3 weeks ago #72141

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1468
I know filters, and color disks are an easy/inexpensive way to have multiple colors on a single saber, but in all honesty, there really is no substitute for either using quick disconnects, and replaceable LED units, or getting an RGBA hero tier saber, which gives you just about any color you can imagine.

Also, I think I did read somewhere that the disks will melt with these LED units. Anyone else have that recollection?
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

12W LED and Color Discs/Filters 10 months 3 weeks ago #72149

• DryBones
I just received a couple of swatch books from Lee today! When I get home I'll put a blue filter over my deep red led and see what happens.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Continuous Upgrade expens... (20 Posts)
    • So the Champion Plug and Play Upgrade contains the Charging port, the battery, the speaker, and the...
    • Blade Length (2 Posts)
    • You can get the blade tube @ 40 inches uncut if your willing to make them yourself, need to also get...
    • Blade Length (2 Posts)
    • Is there any way to get a larger blade? 36"/37" seems to be the ideal length, however with the way...
    • Timing shims (3 Posts)
    • I'm building it myself. Thank you for the info man.
    • Saberforge Customs Price ... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: How long does it normally take them to reply to enquires? I sent them an email on the 20th Dec about...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6343
  • Latest Member: hfbncGap
  • Total Posts: 63.2k
  • Total Topics: 5331
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 18
  • Yesterday Answer: 29