Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Changing the LED in pre-assembled SF saber?

Changing the LED in pre-assembled SF saber? 10 months 3 weeks ago #72150

• DJ Gamera
  • Thank you received: 4
Like the title says, is it possible to change / replace /swap out the LED unit in a pre-assembled saber?
And no, it's not a quick connect type of LED.

But before anybody replies, I know that I can return the saber for repair, but I honestly don't want to have to wait another week or two for that to happen since customer service hasn't replied to my e-mail yet.

I also know that my saber hilt (Bastion; champion tier w/ Viridian sound) has its LED unit (?) held in place by a set screw, towards the bottom of the emitter, just below the blade set screw.

I realize any type of mod will void my warranty, but the LED that it came with (not sure what type it is) gets VERY HOT (posted about this issue already here in 'Open Topics") but I'd like to have a bright, single color, purple LED installed in it.

I'm also not sure about what sort of optional LEDs there are and I don't want to buy one from SF.

If it's possible, how difficult would it be to swap it out for another LED but one that doesn't make most of the hilt, very hot? (in-between the bottom of the blade set screw and down to the recharge jack)

I honestly don't know if it will resolve the issue or if another, just as bright, LED type would even work and if it would remedy the heat issue.

Has anybody attempted and succeeded in doing something like this?
'Wherever you go, there you are.'
Last Edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by DJ Gamera.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Changing the LED in pre-assembled SF saber? 10 months 3 weeks ago #72173

• ElectricJesus
  • Thank you received: 5
Yes you can, but you will need a soldering iron. Soldering experience and shrink wrap also wouldnt hurt. As you said already, switching out the LED yourself will probably void warranty

Changing the LED in pre-assembled SF saber? 10 months 3 weeks ago #72182

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
That's something those of us who build sabers ("Smiths") would be able to do for you.

That being said, I would exhaust any warranty repair options before you look to have the LED replaced. It's possible that something is just wrong with the LED star in there and needs to be replaced.

Changing the LED in pre-assembled SF saber? 10 months 3 weeks ago #72186

• wamphyri13
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 74
I'm going to echo Jas-Ot here. It may be the lower tier hilt in that it's an an apprentice hilt, but you spent a good chunk of $$$ on it and it comes with a warranty, so I'd use it if I were you. My LBS (Little Black Shoto) with yellow LED is pretty dull compared to others. I think there's an issue with the LED. I'm going to request an RMA and send it back for a new LED. Might even switch it to amber if the LED is stronger. (less color mixing)
You have a free pass, (warranty) so use it. Don't waste your money. Just my thoughts, not an order.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Changing the LED in pre-assembled SF saber? 10 months 3 weeks ago #72190

• wamphyri13
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 74
So I see you decided to just sell it on ebay.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Blade Length (2 Posts)
    • You can get the blade tube @ 40 inches uncut if your willing to make them yourself, need to also get...
    • Blade Length (2 Posts)
    • Is there any way to get a larger blade? 36"/37" seems to be the ideal length, however with the way...
    • Timing shims (3 Posts)
    • I'm building it myself. Thank you for the info man.
    • Saberforge Customs Price ... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: How long does it normally take them to reply to enquires? I sent them an email on the 20th Dec about...
    • Continuous Upgrade expens... (19 Posts)
    • If you go for an empty Elite hilt $150 plus ASP PNP Veteran $150 plus LED $40 plus AV switch $10...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6343
  • Latest Member: hfbncGap
  • Total Posts: 63.2k
  • Total Topics: 5331
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 17
  • Yesterday Answer: 29