Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Goth Chassis - SF Bastion and NEC Spark 2

Goth Chassis - SF Bastion and NEC Spark 2 9 months 6 days ago #74107

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
I have a Bastion I'm fitting out for my Uncle. After talking to him enough about what he wants I determined the best option for him would be a 12W purple saber with a Spark 2 and removable battery (He's a flashlight enthusiast so he's got plenty of external chargers compatible with SF's 18650's). I thought I could fit out the hilt with a standard battery sled, however I found that while the sled and board can fit into the body they cannot actually fit in with the battery and wires thrown in the mix.

While considering this issue, I remembered seeing posts talking about Goth chassis on Shapeways and figured this would be the best place to ask about them. Considering this build, which diameter chassis should I purchase? Should it match the ID of the bastion exactly or should I plan for the next size down in case it fits too snugly? And to what degree would the chassis help in this situation at all?

If necessary I can probably rework my build around using a NBv3 and tri-cree instead. I'll just get another Elite hilt in the future to hold the Spark 2 build I've already designed. This is less preferable because he seemed interested in DualMix down the line. He also requested that I make a custom soundfont for him, which would definitely be easier to do on an NEC board.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Goth Chassis - SF Bastion and NEC Spark 2 9 months 6 days ago #74110

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
There's plenty of room in the bastion for a Basic chassis made from a battery holder (I'm in the processes of building one right now).

You will need to use a thin gauge wire with PTFE insulation so the wires aren't so thick. I use 26 gauge for most things, and 30 where needed.

There's a little bit of Cram-Fu involved, but it's pretty strait forward. To make room, insert the chassis with the switch and RP leads already attached and feed those wires out the two corresponding holes. Then solder the switch and RP just outside the hilt, and then put in place. That will save you space on the wiring.

If you must got the chassis route - you'll want a 1.11" OD sled.

Goth Chassis - SF Bastion and NEC Spark 2 9 months 6 days ago #74112

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 756
If you ditch the removable cell idea, you can get some length back by sitting the board on top of the 18650 - then the trick becomes deciding where you want to put the recharge port. If you don't feel like a custom pommel mount, you could opt for single-button-plus-port in the pre-drilled holes.

Goth Chassis - SF Bastion and NEC Spark 2 9 months 6 days ago #74116

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
You could still achieve the removal battery, same basic idea.

Mount the spark2 to the back of the battery sled with double sided tape.

You will need a small roll of Velcro:

Run a strip down each side of the battery sled - use super glue to attach
Then you can wrap two strips in two spots around the battery sled. (You may need to play with the length a bit so you get a good fit.

If you want to go dual switch, I'd suggest going with unlit switches, and make sure you braid their leads back to the board (along with the leads from the LED) and bundle them together with heat shrink.

Single switch, you could go lit, just attach the resistor directly to the one of legs - you can use some hot glue to help hold it tight after you've soldered the wires. And again, braid them. Cover the other hole with the switch plate.

Goth Chassis - SF Bastion and NEC Spark 2 9 months 6 days ago #74117

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Thanks guys, I'll throw some options together and see which he prefers. I'm not too worried about lit switches at least; he didn't seem too interested since the vents at the emitter provide a good enough accent lighting to the hilt.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Current lead time? (6 Posts)
    • Quote: "our estimated lead time is currently 4-5 weeks." The solution to your problem is in the same...
    • Blade Length (3 Posts)
    • Ultra sabers also sells blades up to 40inches if you don’t want to have to add the film and...
    • Well, your right, I do think they should make changes based on my perceptions, wants, desires, or...
    • Quote: I think perhaps you misunderstand... I have no problem with lead times, I consider ordering a saber...
    • Continuous Upgrade expens... (20 Posts)
    • So the Champion Plug and Play Upgrade contains the Charging port, the battery, the speaker, and the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6343
  • Latest Member: hfbncGap
  • Total Posts: 63.2k
  • Total Topics: 5331
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 22
  • Yesterday Answer: 29