Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Best adhesive for switch & recharge port

Best adhesive for switch & recharge port 3 months 4 weeks ago #76220

• snaX087
Since using the nut to secure the switch and recharge port is out of the question (unless you assemble a hilt through ASP) what would be the best glue to use to where if I needed to remove either one, I could do it with minimal to no damage to the hilt or switch/port itself? Something that is strong, you could use very minimal amount of, and maybe loosen with heat? Really I'm more worried about the recharge port since it will have more stress put on it with the key being pulled out.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Best adhesive for switch & recharge port 3 months 4 weeks ago #76225

• Vechaljian
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 182
E6000(my preference) or Superglue work fine for removal in the future, I also dab some hot glue on mine from the back side for extra security when I'm able to. With E6000 you have to give it time to dry, I usually wrap a paper around and the tape it down and give a bit to dry. the excess can be cleaned with a tooth pick but can be a chore, I try not to have excess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snaX087

Best adhesive for switch & recharge port 3 months 3 weeks ago #76230

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
I normally use a single drop of super glue, it holds fine and I've never had one come loose but with a little nudge from the inside they usually pop right out. Hot glue works well also but its a little harder to apply exactly where you want it.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
The following user(s) said Thank You: snaX087

Best adhesive for switch & recharge port 3 months 3 weeks ago #76233

• snaX087
Is E6000 easy to loosen if needed? I was thinking about using either a dab of loctite blue or red since those can be loosened with heat. I recently built my first saber and it worked great for a bit, and then something went wrong so I tried to remove the recharge port and could not get it to come loose, even when applying acetone around the rim of it to try and loosen the cyanoacrylate adhesive. I guess it was so snug it couldnt get into where the glue was. I got an exacto knife and tried to wedge it between the port and the rim but ended up just minorly damaging and scratching the hilt around that area. I finally got it out after dropping acetone from the inside onto the recharge port and pulling the charge port out by the pin with some needle nose lol so I would like to avoid this potential disaster for my next build.

Best adhesive for switch & recharge port 3 months 3 weeks ago #76245

• MrBond
  • Thank you received: 19
E6000 is quite easy to scrap off metal, a bit harder on some plastics. I also use either that or superglue, has worked out great so far. Great thing about E6000 is that it's non-conductive, useful if terminals or sensitive wiring are close by.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by MrBond.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Ladies and Gentlemen The ... (8 Posts)
    • Okay I just put the order in now lets see how long a wait time I have lol
    • Typical wait time on a pr... (4 Posts)
    • The wait time for pre order parts is supposed to be 6-8 weeks, I got the response of "another 4-6...
    • The Nautilaxx. (7 Posts)
    • Finished my customizations. Gave it an etch, some weathering and some gold accents. The etching...
    • Typical wait time on a pr... (4 Posts)
    • When did you get that response? I heard there was quite the wait time before I ordered and that it...
    • Beginner Questions (7 Posts)
    • Update: I heard from Darth Ryo that they are working on a new all-in-one module that would support...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5808
  • Latest Member: HollyLar
  • Total Posts: 60.4k
  • Total Topics: 5013
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 27