Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Modifying the electronics to support an MP3 player

Modifying the electronics to support an MP3 player 11 months 3 weeks ago #15257

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 29
Hello! I am new here, but I have some questions involving an mp3 player and the lightsaber.

I myself had ordered a lightsaber for my husband (he doesn't know!) and would like to get one for myself.

I was wondering if it is possible to wire an mp3 player into the electronics so the blade's brightness (and maybe colours if so it has the proper parts) rises and falls based on the music. I myself do not know how to do this offhand but I'd like to know if this was possible for my own saber at a later time.

Does anyone know if this is possible?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Modifying the electronics to support an MP3 player 11 months 3 weeks ago #15518

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
No one has an idea of how to do this?

Modifying the electronics to support an MP3 player 11 months 3 weeks ago #15520

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
No, I have no idea if that would even be possible, given the limited space within the hilt, to place any type of MP3 player within it, and have it wired to the LED in such a manner... or if those type of electronics even exist for this type of situation.

What I do know, however, is there are some soundboards out there (such as the Spark2, which is the board SF uses in the hero tier) that come with a "Sabertracks" font package... you preload a song or two onto your SD card, and when set to that font and turned on, the music plays instead of the usual saber sound effects. There may be some customization that you can do with the LED in the settings configuration for the Sabertracks, but I'm not sure how indepth it is for that type of situation...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyran Azor, darth kee

Modifying the electronics to support an MP3 player 11 months 3 weeks ago #15522

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
Oh boy. Never took into account the physical dimensions yet. If anything I'd have to go with something like an iPod Shuffle to reduce size as much as possible.

From there it would be a matter of running the wires from the audio out to a board that can control the power to wire into the LED. I've seen stuff like this for the speakers that have lights that flash at certain volumes. I guess the trick would be to find out just what that board can handle cause if you buy the $10 special blinking speakers I bet that board fries super fast when you have the power from that 12W LED running along with one of those high end battery packs.

But if you strip a Shuffle down it just might fit... have to wait and see I guess.

Modifying the electronics to support an MP3 player 11 months 2 days ago #16718

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
Quick question as my saber has not yet arrived. How much space is in the average Elite ranked sabers? That will play a major role on whether I can remove the casing on an iPod shuffle to make it fit inside as well as the possible circuitry I would need.

I have an idea of what I'll have to do and how to run the cables to make this work, but with my saber not here yet (Hopefully soon, I got the Shipped notification first on July 24, then it was changed Aug 3!) I have no way to acquire the measurements needed just yet.

Saber ordered is a Venomous Fury Champion, so there is already a sound board in there to take up some space.

Any information on dimensions of the soundcard and the available interior space would be great!

Modifying the electronics to support an MP3 player 11 months 2 days ago #16739

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
Most hilts have a 1in inner diameter, and generally all you can see when you open the pommel is the speaker. I haven't ever dug into the innards of a champion saber; doing so voids the warranty, but I can tell you on the warriors, even the battery case fits snugly inside. So there is not any extra space... it's all pretty small.

Modifying the electronics to support an MP3 player 11 months 1 day ago #16742

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
oh boy that doesn't bode well at all, as I am pretty sure the boards to run even the smaller LED speakers I've seen are going to be a bit over 1" in width. May have to put those plans on hold for now. If the battery barely fits, there is very little room.

I'll just have to find a real cheap set of those speakers and start carving up to rewire once I can get a good view of one of these bad boys when mine arrives. I can't see myself rooting in as I don't want to void warranty but just opening the pommel to get at the battery and peek inside with a flashlight would be adequate.
Last Edit: 11 months 1 day ago by Zeddicuus.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• The Wait Begins 4.0 (119 Posts)
    • Hey guys, I've been on pre shipment since 7/12, is it normal? I thought they start making your saber...
    • Rogue One Trailer (6 Posts)
    • Why are they doing this, it is the second time they're showing a teaser/trailer in a Con/Celebration...
    • Wow, looks like Disney had people just waiting for it. Blocked in less than an hour.
    • This is all we have right now, the quality is sooo bad but we have no other option yet ...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4370
  • Latest Member: TheWinterWild
  • Total Posts: 43.1k
  • Total Topics: 3139
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 37
  • Yesterday Answer: 64