Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NBv3 wiring help

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81713

• RotundChap
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Hi saber fans,

I'm building my first saber and need help wiring the NBv3. It's a SF sentinel with a 12w+ white LED (not using FoC obviously), momentary switch and recharge port. I also have a power extender from tcss but I can't find a decent wiring diagram. Any help in finding a diagram or any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RC
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81714

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 447
The NBv3 can only handle 2A per LED channel (main blade channel and FoC channel), and it does not use the PEx as far as I'm aware.

The SF 12w+ x4 LED is a 4A LED, so you will need to either HEAVILY resistor it (since the v3 doesn't use drive values), or only wire it as a "6w" (two of the four dies) for use with the NBv3. That actually would let you have FoC, since you can wire 2 dice to main blade and 2 dice to the FoC pad. It just won't be a color change FoC.

I'd give a link to and/or reference the manual... but the Plecter site seems to be having some issues at the moment and I don't have the manual(s) downloaded on my work PC.

Unless you mean NBv4. In that case, you don't need the PEx as each channel can use 4A so you'd just wire the LED to L1-. The PEx is only needed on the v4 to add a 3rd channel for RGB mixing.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81715

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 228
Here's a link to the manual for the NBV3:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktma0bea31pdqwk/Nano%20Biscotte%20v3-GB.pdf?dl=0

Like KelbornX said, everything you need is in there.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by scifidude79.

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81718

• RotundChap
  • Elite Member
KelbornX wrote:
The NBv3 can only handle 2A per LED channel (main blade channel and FoC channel), and it does not use the PEx as far as I'm aware.

The SF 12w+ x4 LED is a 4A LED, so you will need to either HEAVILY resistor it (since the v3 doesn't use drive values), or only wire it as a "6w" (two of the four dies) for use with the NBv3. That actually would let you have FoC, since you can wire 2 dice to main blade and 2 dice to the FoC pad. It just won't be a color change FoC.

I'd give a link to and/or reference the manual... but the Plecter site seems to be having some issues at the moment and I don't have the manual(s) downloaded on my work PC.

Unless you mean NBv4. In that case, you don't need the PEx as each channel can use 4A so you'd just wire the LED to L1-. The PEx is only needed on the v4 to add a 3rd channel for RGB mixing.

Thank you! Nope, I meant the NBv3. I bought a couple of NBv3 boards about a month before the NBv4 was released. I read somewhere a power extender was recommended for white LED's.

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81722

• RotundChap
  • Elite Member
Thanks. I have the NBv3 manual. If adding additional resistors (besides what SF already put on the LED), means I don't have to use the power extender, that will ease my confusion A LOT.

I've also thought about going with a 12w+ green I have in my consulor and putting the white LED in it. Would it require the power extender or extra resistors too?

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81723

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
RotundChap wrote:
Thank you! Nope, I meant the NBv3. I bought a couple of NBv3 boards about a month before the NBv4 was released. I read somewhere a power extender was recommended for white LED's.

The V3 is a good board. I used one for my first sound install. B)

I don't see anything about a power extender in the manual, other than referencing the built in power extender that drives the flash on clash. I don't see why you would need a power extender for white. The max ratings on a blue and green are actually higher than on a white. So, if you can wire a blue or green without a power extender, then you can wire a white without one. Someone may have been trying to make a brighter blade with the power extender, though I don't know if that's possible. People try all kinds of tricks and give tips all the time, doesn't mean they're right. I can't even be 100% sure I'm right, but I don't see why a power extender would be necessary for white.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by scifidude79.

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81727

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
The SF 12w module draws 4A of current, regardless if it's white, green, purple, blue etc. The NBv3 Main Blade pad is only rated for 2A of current. So you need to regulate that current down to 2A if you want to safely use the SF 12w module. You can either wire it as a 6w module (only use 2 of the 4 LEDs), add extra resistors, or as the manual reminded me calculate what drive value you need (probably like 480-520) when using the minimum resistors.

I have never seen the PEx used or even referenced with an NBv3 before, so I have no idea if you even can. @SFD the reason he's wanting the PEx is that it's an external current regulator that may solve the 2A drive limit problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap, scifidude79

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81729

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
KelbornX wrote:
@SFD the reason he's wanting the PEx is that it's an external current regulator that may solve the 2A drive limit problem.

Ah, gotcha.

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81731

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 763
You should be fine to just drop it in the NB, actually. During the NBv4 announcement, Erv mentioned that NB actually had a higher amp rating for a while - he's just been trying to push people away from focusing on LED wattage and left the manual stating 2A as the safe limit.

Just to be safe, though, you're probably better off dropping an SR540 Rectifier Schottky Diode on the LED's power line, or else the high-current could cause some voltage ripple that'll make the NBv3 start throwing phantom swings. It'll drop battery voltage by ~0.3v, so take that into your resistor calculations.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Kouri.

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81732

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Found this highly detailed post on this same topic a year ago by Kouri. Without knowing how much higher the amp rating actually is, I'd still play it safe.

http://www.saberforgeforum.com/forum/saber-electronics-diy/10585-choosing-a-sound-board#48442

And another a couple posts up where he says the same thing I did: either run it at half power, or split it as 6w/6w between main blade and FoC.

http://www.saberforgeforum.com/forum/saber-electronics-diy/10585-choosing-a-sound-board#48349

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81733

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
The 6w/6w idea is cool. A bright enough blade with a much brighter flash. I've been thinking of doing something similar with an NBV4 and a SaberForge LED for a saber I want to do. :)

NBv3 wiring help 2 months 2 weeks ago #81738

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 763
About a month and a half ago I figured I'd stress test a bunch of old parts I had in the shop.

Custom Royal Blue XT-E star rated at 4.5A (let's call it a 14W LED)
NBv2 (the NB that made the PEX hack famous)
Panasonic 3400mAh 18650

No power extender, no resistors, just that rectifier diode I mentioned earlier. Build ran without a hitch. Ever went on to re-use the board in a Yoda build with a standard Red/Red/White Tri-Cree afterward.

I'd say 4A is a safe limit for any of the NB mosfets. You just need a quality battery to power things, and a rectifier diode on any version before 4 to prevent phantom swings.

Member Login

Latest Posts

• ASP Wave 2 Renders (42 Posts)
    • Dunno. While I personally appreciate ASP as a DIY system, I always figured it was primarily a means...
    • The Count questions (12 Posts)
    • So, here are my questions that require answering before I order: 1. Is the pommel detachable? 2. Is...
    • Quote: Quote: [attachment] Dude! A Plo Koon hilt. Incorrectly named KaiAdi.jpg, but I can forgive that....
    • Quote: [attachment] Dude! A Plo Koon hilt. Incorrectly named KaiAdi.jpg, but I can forgive that....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6468
  • Latest Member: jakUseno
  • Total Posts: 64.4k
  • Total Topics: 5448
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 5
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 56
  • Yesterday Answer: 79