Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 4 days ago #88186

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
I recently received to ASP orders placed in late November. When order was just a empty hilt so I could install my own Electronics with a nano biscotti version 4 bored and another one was with an installation package Champion tier. I am noticing that these sounds on the saber core aren't as nice as the ones for the Nano biscotti. I have downloaded a couple of other soundfonts from the saberforge website for the saber core and I feel that they are still pretty similar especially the hums not to mention very soft sounding in comparison 2 the other sound board soundfonts. Does anyone know of any place I can get a more variety of sounds for the saber core? I was thinking of just trying to put all the same sounds from my nano biscotti unto the saber core however it would just not involve converting them to 16 bit but from what I read I think also trimming them which is a lot of work and I don't really want to take all that time for a toy. I'm thinking of the popularity of saberforge sabers there has to be people making soundfonts for this board. I think I read somewhere about the NEC soundfonts from the saber fonts website. Would those be compatible? Also I've been trying to mess around with the sounds in audacity and I've been able to increase the volume on some of the sounds which makes it a little better however I can't help but have the feeling it just doesn't sound as clean and crisp as the sounds on the Nano biscotti and I think it has to do with the fact that it is only 16 bit whereas the Nano biscotti is like 22 bit or something like that and I think it's odd that aboard that almost cost twice the price of the Nano biscotti can't even sound as good
Last Edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by Danielbs80.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 4 days ago #88187

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1749
The NEC fonts from Saber Fonts would be compatible, just needing to be renamed to the same standard as the ones SC3 uses. It's a little tedious, but it works.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 4 days ago #88193

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
So I downloaded some soundfonts for the NEC on saber font.com and I renamed them and I replaced the swings in the hum for one of the soundfonts I downloaded at the saberforge website and the difference is night and day. The NEC sounds are so much more crisp and clear and the different swings are distinctly different sounding. So it's a whole lot better and it was and I will be changing all three fonts to something from NEC however the sounds are pretty bright in comparison to the Nano biscotti saber I built. The sounds on the Nano biscotti build are a deeper sound which I like better it just sounds more soothing and I would love to replicate it on the saber core saber. It just may be the the soundfonts I used are deeper sounds because I think it should be the same speaker I ordered the speaker from saberforge that I used on my Nano biscotti build. Maybe I can go in Audacity and just add some more bass or something. I still have one of my sound banks with the original soundfonts and then another bank with the altered soundfonts from the NEC I'll make a YouTube video showing you what they both are like.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 4 days ago #88194

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 525
The soundfonts that SF supplies and sells for the Sabercore 3.0 are by the font artist "Shameem" and his fonts are known for being very bassy and somewhat flat sounding. I have a couple of his fonts for both NEC and Plecter, and I'm not that fond of them just for that.

If you're looking for some great sounding fonts for NEC, try ones by Lord Blako or KSith.

The NB is 10-bit audio, not 22- or even 16-bit. More details can be found in the manual on the Plecter Labs website.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 4 days ago #88195

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 4 days ago #88197

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
I know Mantle of the Force as I have it on several sabers, it definitely sounds a bit "twangy" by design. I don't know those other two fonts that you had on the NBv4 saber.

I know these things cost money you'd probably rather not spend for something you may not like, but if you really want to accurately compare how one board sounds compared to another, you need identical fonts. Since you like a "deep" hum, try KSith's "The Light". Get it for both Plecter and NEC, and put it on both sabers. Then see how they compare.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 4 days ago #88199

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
Normally do sound makers make versionsfor both plecter and NEC? If so maybe I can find the same soundfonts for the saber core than. I think I listen to to the light sound font example that you mentioned and at first it sounded like it might be good but I wasn't as sure as the one I downloaded. I know it's hard to tell because they do sound different when they are on the saber compared to over the computer speaker. But it would be interesting to get the same soundfonts onto both but I would like to do that with one of the deeper sounding ones I have on the Nano biscotti build.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 3 days ago #88206

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
It depends on the font maker. They either do Plecter only, or they do both. On saberfont.com the ones with a green banner are Plecter and the ones with a red banner are NEC. The two makers I mentioned previous, Lord Blako and KSith, do both.

Fonts will always sound different on your PC speakers compared to on the saber. Especially if you have a 2.1 or better setup like I do; gotta love a subwoofer.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #88245

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
So i downloaded the light sound fonts for NEC and put them on the sabercoe. The sounds do sound better but not too much. Although they are deeper they are only a little bit deeper sounding and still not even close to the rich deep sounds that the NBv4 makes with the size matter not, rule of two master, and tutaminis soundfonts i have on there. Maybe it is the speaker after all. When i ordered the speaker from saberforge i picked the high bass speaker. I wonder if thats the same one they used or if its the other one they sell. If in fact the high bass speaker was not used. How easy is it to swap a new speaker for a installed asp? I know the pommel comes off and i can see the speaker but does the electronics slide out at all or would the switch section need to be unscrewed? If so then what do they use to lock the threads? Red loctite? Superglue? If installing a diff speaker myself would void warranty im fine with that since j know how to solder wires together anyways but i just want to get to the bottom of this sound issue. I really want that deep sound.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by Danielbs80.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #88253

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Size Matters Not is available for both PL and NEC. Either get that for NEC and put it on the Sabercore or get The Light for PL and put it on the NB. You really can't accurately compare unless you're listening to the same font on both boards/speakers/sabers. From your previous video, the Champion saber does sound good to me. It could simply be that the fonts on your NB saber are just bassier in general; I know Shameem's (the maker of Size Matters Not) usually are.

There's 3 main factors for sound: the audio amp on the board, the speaker itself, and the hilt resonance. Being a 16-bit audio driver, the SC3.0 should be better than the NBv4 on that front, since the NB is only 10-bit audio. I believe SF's "high bass" speaker is the same 28mm Veco bass that everyone else uses and is likely in your NB saber as well, so those should be equal.

Resonance plays a huge factor, more than people realize. Since SF doesn't install with a chassis (yet), the speaker usually isn't properly enclosed so sound quality does get lost a bit. Was your NB installed with a proper chassis? If so, this could be the issue, and can only be fixed by a reinstall using a proper chassis/speaker holder. The speaker in the SC3.0 saber also looks closer to the flat pommel than the one in your NB saber is; even that little bit of space would give the speaker in your NB saber a bit more resonance. Other than that... I'd chalk it up to simply different fonts.

If you do want to do a reinstall of at least the speaker, the "best" speakers in the hobby, imo, are the ones from Saber Essentials (operates though his Page on Facebook). Each one is hand made and tested in his garage. TCSS has stock of the 28mm 4ohm bass and will be getting in more types soon. I don't see any specs on the SC3.0 so you might be safer with the 8ohm speaker instead of the 4ohm if you wanted to replace your speaker with one of his. These speakers have amazing range on them. While very bassy, the Veco falls a little flat on the midtones.

Here's a link to a video comparison of the 28mm Veco bass (amber saber) to the 28mm 4ohm SE bass (green saber), both NBv4 and both using KSith's "The Light" font. Due to the solid, rather than vented, pommel on the Consular hilt, the resonance is a little better and the sound is a little bit clearer by comparison... bu the SE blows it away on volume, range, and bass.

And SF usually drenches the threads in superglue. Gonna need lots of elbow grease to get it apart; since the saber is installed I wouldn't recommend using acetone or heat to weaken the glue.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #88268

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member

Well we posted another video showing the sounds as well as more when I download Size Matters not NEC version for the saber core I listen to the examples of that sound font and it does sound promising.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #88277

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member

I just downloaded a size Matters not NEC version so I can upload to the saber core I will be posting the video comparing the sounds from both Sabres shortly

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #88285

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
So I downloaded the size Matters not in NEC version for the saber core so here's a video comparing the two. As you will see the sound is still a lot better and louder and deeper on the Nano biscotti. So it is obviously not the sound files. Must it be the speaker then? Or could it be that the NBv4 is that much better at half the cost?
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by Danielbs80.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #88290

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Well, with font and resonance eliminated... the likely culprit is the speaker.

I have no idea what brand SF uses for their "high bass" speakers. I just ripped apart my old Viridian kit (never gonna sell, might as well tray and clean the board for reinstall into a project hilt), and there's no inking on the back of the speaker to identify the brand. Under a visual inspection, it is clearly not a Veco bass speaker, which would be the one that your NBv4 saber has.

SF typically installs their electronics in a way that they're very difficult to remove without breaking things. They don't use a chassis, so you can't just slide everything out at once. If there speaker isn't free-floating, it's probably glued to the end of the battery with something, probably liquid electrical tape. If you're wanting to rewire it with a new speaker, you'd probably be best off with contacting a custom installer if you don't have electronics soldering skills yourself.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #88294

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
Well I did assemble and install all of the electronics for the NBv4 saber myself. I just ordered all the same parts and followed shameems video. I have prior soldering experience as well since I use to build drones and many other DIY type stuff. So, will I have to get the switch section off and just push it up the handle out the other way then?

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #88296

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Ahh okay, I didn't realize you installed the other saber yourself. In that case, you could probably gut the SF install and re-install it into a proper chassis and replace the speaker with a Veco from TCSS, or one from Saber Essentials.

Getting the guts out that way should work. Just be careful of the USB ribbon; the connection tends to be rather fragile from what I've seen.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #88297

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
So the only issue in my way really is getting unlocking the threads. I haven't tried forcefully yet. Would it help applying a drop or something to the gap there and let it work in some and/or maybe a little heat from a heatgun?

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #88298

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
What i don't understand is that I ordered the high bass speaker from saberforge for my NBv4 install. Does saberforge not use the highbass speaker that they sell on their installs? The only other one they sell looks clearly different so by the looks of it, it does look like a high bass speaker already installed but it doesn't sound like it. It's such a weird dilemma I am having! Maybe saberforge using a more generic speaker that just looks like their more quality high bass speaker they sell?

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 1 day ago #88300

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
So i unscrewed the pommel and shook it hard a few times and got it to come out this far without pulling it and im afraid to pull on it since i dont know how much wire there is but i my be able to change speakers like this. Tbis kind of looks different than the high bass speaker i have on the NBv4 because i can tell there is not the big metal base to it. Ita so weird. So saberforge uses a cheapo speaker fpr their installs and not even one of the speakers they sell. Its a rather annoying discovery. I woukd have paid to get the install done good the first time which i already thought I did. Well its still interesting to have a sabercore 3.0 but i learned to not have them do any installs thats for sure.

Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Danielbs80.

Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs NBv4 sounds 2 weeks 1 day ago #88304

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
So i took an exacto knife to it to take away some of the wrap and the speaker does in fact look differently than the high bass speaker. I wonder what this black glue stuff is. It looks like a simple job to replace the speaker and wrap it up with some electrical tape.

Directly to the battery and really short wires. They are making out like bandits with these installation service fees I'd imagine. Im placing and order on tcss if they have some good speakers. Going to check now. I cant wait to get deep n loud! So excited. I know with my high bass speaker on the NBv4 when it makes a sound you can see that little speaker thump bit not on this one.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Danielbs80.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• SF vs VV blades? (3 Posts)
    • VV's standard dual diffused blades are thin wall blades whereas the SF V4 Infinity is a thick wall...
    • Overhauling my Ultrasaber... (98 Posts)
    • Quote: The pads for each diode are the ones right next to them. So, the positive is to the left of the...
    • The pads for each diode are the ones right next to them. So, the positive is to the left of the...
    • Question on wiring the LED star. Which negative solder pad corresponds to which LED? Is it the pad...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6824
  • Latest Member: HeXeK
  • Total Posts: 68.6k
  • Total Topics: 5782
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 70