Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3D printing parts

3D printing parts 5 days 17 hours ago #89044

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
I ordered a 3d printer last night and will arrive by Thursday and I've been mucking around with tinkercad to make a chassis so I will have something ready to print when it arrives. So far it's pretty basic and not finished with it yet. I'm going to need to make it into gcode so the printer can read it. From what I' hear I'll need a slicer or I donno if tinkercad can export it as gcode.

Here's what I have so far

It has a place for the battery to slide in and on the other side a spot for the NBv4 board and on the top a spot of the extender with a channel for wires and some decorative stuff on the sides to also reduce the amount of material.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

3D printing parts 5 days 16 hours ago #89046

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 287
Danielbs80 wrote:
I ordered a 3d printer last night and will arrive by Thursday and I've been mucking around with tinkercad to make a chassis so I will have something ready to print when it arrives. So far it's pretty basic and not finished with it yet. I'm going to need to make it into gcode so the printer can read it. From what I' hear I'll need a slicer or I donno if tinkercad can export it as gcode.

Here's what I have so far

It has a place for the battery to slide in and on the other side a spot for the NBv4 board and on the top a spot of the extender with a channel for wires and some decorative stuff on the sides to also reduce the amount of material.

I don't see why you wouldn't just order a chassis from TCSS or another company. Even designing and ordering one off of Shapeways would be more efficient than buying a printer of your own along with plastic to build things. You're going to need to sell a ton of these to get the money back on that printer.

I mean, more power to you for buying a printer and going at it, but why not just buy other peoples' designs instead of going out on the money for your own gear? Although I guess I 'true Jedi' wouldn't get their cell holder manufactured by someone else....

Xiphos, Eris, Oracle Shoto

3D printing parts 5 days 16 hours ago #89049

• Shai Kah
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
I mean, having a 3D printer is nice for more than just trying to sell chassis and whatnot, so I mean if I had the money I would buy my own. Just like how I’m looking into a metal lathe, a lightsaber isn’t the only thing I’ll end up using it for.

I like it, looks good to me as long as the dimensions are good and fit
Last Edit: 5 days 16 hours ago by Shai Kah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

3D printing parts 5 days 16 hours ago #89050

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
Yes I got all the dimensions correct. I think I still need to figure out how to get the wire channel for the battery wires set up. I think the neg goes to the recharge port and the pos goes to the board or does it go to the switch? I don't recall right now but if they go directly to the board I'll need to make a hole that goes to the other side to feed the battery wires though.

I have looked for chassis all over the place even ones I can just download and print but it seems most are made for MHS hilts and not saberforge because saberforge has smaller ID and I think I heard shameem talk about a chassis that works for saberforge but it cost over 30 bucks! I'm not spending that much on a piece of plastic that you will never look at even especially when double sided tape and foam and shrink wrap does the trick for free.

I didn't just buy a 3d printer to print out a chassis. I've actually been kind of interested for a while now. I know there's that hub site where you can set yourself up there and people can request 3d prints from you and pay you via paypal or I'll be able to do that once I get the hang of it and they say the printer I got is worthy of commissioned prints too so it's gotta print well.

Let me know if anyone has ideas on parts to print or on the chassis I'm trying to make. I will also make some blade plugs.
Last Edit: 5 days 16 hours ago by Danielbs80.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64, Jas-Ot

3D printing parts 5 days 15 hours ago #89051

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Danielbs80 wrote:
Yes I got all the dimensions correct. I think I still need to figure out how to get the wire channel for the battery wires set up. I think the neg goes to the recharge port and the pos goes to the board or does it go to the switch? I don't recall right now but if they go directly to the board I'll need to make a hole that goes to the other side to feed the battery wires though.

I have looked for chassis all over the place even ones I can just download and print but it seems most are made for MHS hilts and not saberforge because saberforge has smaller ID and I think I heard shameem talk about a chassis that works for saberforge but it cost over 30 bucks! I'm not spending that much on a piece of plastic that you will never look at even especially when double sided tape and foam and shrink wrap does the trick for free.

I didn't just buy a 3d printer to print out a chassis. I've actually been kind of interested for a while now. I know there's that hub site where you can set yourself up there and people can request 3d prints from you and pay you via paypal or I'll be able to do that once I get the hang of it and they say the printer I got is worthy of commissioned prints too so it's gotta print well.

Let me know if anyone has ideas on parts to print or on the chassis I'm trying to make. I will also make some blade plugs.

Hm. Interesting. When I start my next build, I'll probably do my own chassis search, but I didn't actually know that TCSS didn't sell chassis that can fit in SF sabers.

Here's Goth 3-Designs Shapeways page, if anyone has chassis that can fit SF's sabers, it's him.

3D printing parts 5 days 15 hours ago #89052

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 489
I think it's awesome you are trying your hand at making a chassis and experimenting with 3D printing. That's something I haven't gotten around to tinkering with yet myself.

To echo what's been said though, there are tons of great chassis out there. I generally use chassis from Rick D. Ryo of Goth-3Designs or Dmitry Shtok of ShtokCustomWorxs.

Goth offers more chassis for things like a SF hilt, Shtok offers some seriously intricate crystal chambers, clamp switch holders, and some very high end chassis systems for things like the MK1.

The typical chassis I put in a SF hilt is a Goth 1.11" sled for battery and board, and attached speaker holder (using 4-40 threaded rods to attach). Depending on the hilt I may add in an internal RCP section as well. typical cost is around $30, but they are very nicely made, professional quality 3d prints.

You might try just uploading your designs to shapeways for high quality prints if your desktop printer won't cut it.
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers

3D printing parts 5 days 15 hours ago #89053

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
Paying about the same price for a plastic piece that really isn't necessary in my opinion and that will be unseen as a ASP section just does not compute.

3D printing parts 5 days 15 hours ago #89055

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
While we're on the subject of Goth 3-Designs, Jas, have you any experience with his 1.12" ID Nano Biscotte sled for about $19? Does that sled work for SF hilts as well, and can it accept a nbv4 instead of the nb2 and 3 it was designed for?

3D printing parts 5 days 15 hours ago #89056

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 489
Technically it will work in the SF hilts, you may need to do a little sanding though, and yes, it will take the NBv4.

1.11" is the OD that is about perfect, it will take a single coat of enamel and still fit. If you want to do a really done up chassis with paints, or maybe even plate it, then the 1.10" would be a better fit.
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

3D printing parts 5 days 13 hours ago #89060

• Khang
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 37
I use my printer for much more than chassis work, but I did initially get it for just that. I've designed quite a lot of chassis, and a majority of what Jordan Moll offers is my work.

But the chassis stuff is only a small portion of what I use my printer for now. I do almost entire hilts with my printer. Printed parts over either PVC or aluminum. Installed with my own chassis and everything. Feels good.

Some of my most recent hilts.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64, Roger Redux, Victor

3D printing parts 5 days 10 hours ago #89062

• The Custodian
  • Thank you received: 3
Im certainly hoping someone whips up a chasis for the curved hilt designs that will be coming up... My brother has a printer he uses but has no qualms about printing things off for me when needed.

3D printing parts 5 days 2 hours ago #89068

• Khang
  • Premium Member
The Custodian wrote:
Im certainly hoping someone whips up a chasis for the curved hilt designs that will be coming up... My brother has a printer he uses but has no qualms about printing things off for me when needed.

If the new curved bodies are anything like the body of the Vanquish I own, you won't need any special chassis. They're designed with a cutout that will fit a chassis. Something like this:

It does prevent pulling the chassis out on the fly though.

3D printing parts 4 days 22 hours ago #89080

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
So here's what I have so far I'm going to be adding a hole at the bottom for the speaker and I might make some more channels for wires

3D printing parts 4 days 21 hours ago #89082

• IRoninI
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey Daniel,
Chassis looks good.
Is there space for a speaker?

3D printing parts 4 days 20 hours ago #89085

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
I still need to make the hole. Does anyone know the size of that metal part that sticks up in back of the speaker?

3D printing parts 4 days 18 hours ago #89089

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
So I think this is my final design

3D printing parts 4 days 18 hours ago #89090

• IRoninI
  • Thank you received: 4
I like it.
Like you i saw the instal video Form Shameem and since then im looking for good chassis cause i want to do the instals on my own.

3D printing parts 4 days 17 hours ago #89091

• Khang
  • Premium Member

This is how I have my chassis set up. board lays right on top of the battery and all wiring goes along the sides of the chassis/battery. Allows for easy installs with minimal wire showing.

3D printing parts 4 days 17 hours ago #89092

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
You guys have both come up with very good designs. Honestly, this is a part of the hobby that no one else has really gotten into as of yet, so it's cool to see a couple of pioneers.

One thing I can advise is to ensure that you minimize the amount of solid plastic in your designs to reduce cost. Figure out how to make it structurally sound while using as little material as possible.

3D printing parts 4 days 17 hours ago #89093

• Khang
  • Premium Member
Eddlyss64 wrote:
You guys have both come up with very good designs. Honestly, this is a part of the hobby that no one else has really gotten into as of yet, so it's cool to see a couple of pioneers.

One thing I can advise is to ensure that you minimize the amount of solid plastic in your designs to reduce cost. Figure out how to make it structurally sound while using as little material as possible.

My designs are meant for a typical FDM printer, not Shapeways. The PLA I use maybe costs $0.50 per chassis. Maybe. And chassis, be it Shapeways or home printed have been around a while. Mine are used throughout the community for SF hilts.
Last Edit: 4 days 17 hours ago by Khang.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Overhauling my Ultrasaber... (102 Posts)
    • Right, so upon receiving that update from For Tyeth as well as looking a bit more closely at the PC...
    • Hello Master Eddlyss, I just sent you another PM to correct the previous advice I sent you! I have...
    • Okay, thanks for your help. I'm looking to have it so that the LED on the switch is illuminated...
    • All by Oneself.. (5 Posts)
    • Hello Everybody, Well, at least we now have a definite age for Chewie - 190 years old! (at the time...
    • SF vs VV blades? (6 Posts)
    • Quote: I was considering to buy a dual diffused 1' trans white VV blade, since i heard that it is...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6824
  • Latest Member: HeXeK
  • Total Posts: 68.6k
  • Total Topics: 5783
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 17
  • Yesterday Answer: 70