Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 12W Led Wiring

12W Led Wiring 1 year 9 months ago #945

• bobione
A friend of mine ordered 12W led ( 2x BLUE 2xGREEN) from the store.
I have the datasheet for Cree XB-D but I am not sure how they are wired inside the heat-sync ( Serial or parallel, and what kind of resistor values are used).
Can someone provide me with that info?
Regards,
Bobi
The administrator has disabled public write access.

12W Led Wiring 1 year 8 months ago #1001

• Snormeepoo
  • Thank you received: 1
I also ordered a 12W led from the store. I'm gonna try to install it to my redeemer. Never done it before so I hope I do it right. When it comes in I'll make sure to take a picture to show if it is series or parallel and take a pic of what resistor is used.

12W Led Wiring 1 year 8 months ago #1044

• SFGrandMaster-Phil
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 173
The LED's will arrive with one red positive lead, and one black negative lead, they are designed to run on a single NCR18650B battery.

12W Led Wiring 1 year 8 months ago #1121

• bobione
I am asking if there is a reistor inside the housing, because my board have specific led driver which doesn't need resistors t o the led?

12W Led Wiring 1 year 8 months ago #1192

• Snormeepoo
Sorry for the late reply, been busy lately. Here are some pics of my 12W Royal Blue LED unit. I'm not too verse in this but it looks as though it's wired in series. I didn't specify the battery I'm using so it doesn't look like it has a resistor. Hope this helps.
http://imgur.com/A2eLA64
http://imgur.com/L5gFce8
http://imgur.com/9PN8NpE
http://imgur.com/JG7wPSX

Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Snormeepoo. Reason: didn't attach pictures correctly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FailedJedi

12W Led Wiring 1 year 8 months ago #1224

• SFGrandMaster-Phil
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 173
It's wired in parallel, and as it says on the listing page, it is designed to run on a single high output 18650 at 3.7-4.2v without a resistor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FailedJedi

12W Led Wiring 1 year 8 months ago #1280

• JediRabbi
  • Thank you received: 2
On a related note... I just got a used 6w Champion Fury and am thinking about upgrading it to 12w.

Once I purchase the 12w LED unit (and remove the old 6w), will it run on the existing electronics without needing any additional modifications? I'm an old hand with a soldering iron, so this seems like a very doable project...

One other question slightly off-topic: this being an older saber, the soundboard is a Neutrino 1.0. After a swing or clash, there's a single quick, quiet static-like pop before returning to the hum. I'm not familiar with the card - is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks for your input, everyone!
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.

12W Led Wiring 1 year 8 months ago #1281

• DarthMario95
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 201
The 12W LED won't run off of any saberforge board except the sabercore viridium or crimson. If you wanted to upgrade your 6W to a 12W you can send it in to saberforge and they will upgrade all the electronics inside for you. I believe the cost is $180 to upgrade a champion saber to the new sabercore soundboards with 12W.

As for that little pop, I'm afraid I got nothing there. :/
"Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi…"

12W Led Wiring 1 year 8 months ago #1284

• JediRabbi
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the quick reply DarthMario - you saved me from a pretty basic mistake. :blush:

Too bad about the sound issue...maybe I'll post it in its own thread and see if anyone has an idea. My hunch is that it's a function of transitioning from one sound file to another. Hmm... Crazy loud, though, even on the lowest setting. I lightly padded the space between the speaker and the sound vent with some fabric - slightly muffling the volume decreased the treble and so virtually boosted the bass...much nicer.

Upgrading is always tempting - but so is saving up for another new one. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again!
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.

12W Led Wiring 1 year 4 months ago #5958

• Machinimax
  • Jedi Sentinel
  • Thank you received: 15
So I'm making sure I got this down. :)

The 12 Watt LED has four dice. Let's say my colors are green and Amber. Two dice are green and the other two are amber. The two green dice are hooked as a pair so there is a positive and negative terminal to control both dice at once. The pair is hooked in parallel so I can still control them with a single li-ion cell. The same applies for the Amber.

Yes? No? Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere. :D
"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

12W Led Wiring 1 year 16 hours ago #15328

• Sankbeil
If I were to purchase one of these units to build a DIY saber, would it still work? I would be making a stunt saber and I just wanted to know if a sabercore viridium is required for it to run.

12W Led Wiring 1 year 16 hours ago #15330

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
As this is a really old topic, most of the information is outdated on it.

What exactly are you trying to make work?

The kits that come from SF for the ASP come with LED, battery/battery holder, switch, and soundboard (if you want sound... if you don't, then go for a warrior kit). They're pre-wired with quick connects, so if you watch the ASP video (its linked in the ASP forum) you'll note it's very easy to slide them into a hilt, plug them in, and that's it.

If you're JUST looking for a 12W led, they sell those either with quick connects or without.

If you just want a stunt saber and already have the rest of the internals, just make sure the battery pack will supply enough juice to run the LED. You can either put quick connects on them as well or solder the LED to your power supply.
Last Edit: 1 year 16 hours ago by Knytiri.

12W Led Wiring 11 months 5 days ago #16883

• duokun
From the posts on this thread am incorrect in assuming that to achieve something similar to a warrior tier saber I would just need to wire the led assembly to a battery pack and include a switch? It doesn't require a resistor?

12W Led Wiring 11 months 5 days ago #16887

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
Again, very old topic, most of the information is outdated. It is my belief tho that the led modules come resistored already. All you have to do is hook it up to a power source capable of powering the led module. And, of course, the switch. Lol

12W Led Wiring 11 months 5 days ago #16888

• duokun
Cool. Thanks. I am looking forward to getting into building some sabers. Of course the really fun ones will be the ones with sound boards, but I think throwing some stunt sabers together would be pretty fun as well.

12W Led Wiring 9 months 5 days ago #21157

• BetteDuke
I have gone through your discussion and according to my observation the 12W LED wouldn't run off of any saberforge board. But sabercore viridium is an exception.
If you wanted to upgrade your 6W to a 12W you can send it in to saberforge and they will upgrade all the electronics inside for you.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Sabercore sound menu manu... (4 Posts)
    • If you have a latching switch instead of a momentary switch, things could get weird. If that were...
    • Sabercore sound menu manu... (4 Posts)
    • Quote: I don't know if there's an actual manual anywhere, but it's pretty straightforward. To enter config...
    • Recently Responded to Ema... (6 Posts)
    • ToyKeeper, Quote: It sounds like your question about crystal window styles didn't get answered. :lol: All I...
    • ASP "Interceptor&quo... (52 Posts)
    • ToyKeeper, Thank You. The threaded part is good to know. Much like unscrewing the jar of jam for my...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (141 Posts)
    • Dear Diary: It's me again.. still here.. it's been 26Weeks.. :unsure:...[image]

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4378
  • Latest Member: KMGittins
  • Total Posts: 43.2k
  • Total Topics: 3148
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 28
  • Yesterday Answer: 72