Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: RGBA Concerns and Questions

RGBA Concerns and Questions 9 months 2 weeks ago #19307

• bjkourik
I ab-sooo-lutely love my Bane Saber, that being said I am not a big fan of the RGBA LED setup. To me the brightness isn't bright enough to light my blade, at night it is decent, but not as good as a single color setup. Should I be concerned that it may be a bad LED? Or is this typical with RGBA LEDs? The ability to edit colors using the Saber is just fine but I wanted to try using a Configure Editor after looking into it I narrowed down my sound board to either a Spark Color (as it's listed on Etsy) or a Spark Color 2, the only program I can get to work with the SD card is Spark Color 2, i.e. it's the only program I see a config.sys file with. Is there anything I can do to get my Saber brighter using the configure editor, or should I look into buying a new LED and going single color, if that is even possible with the Spark Color ? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Own: Hero RGBA Bane
Queued: Hero Amber/Red Gladiator
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RGBA Concerns and Questions 9 months 2 weeks ago #19312

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
So on the FAQ, it states:
The other option is the RGBA, which offers several colors at 3W, mixing for 6W, up to a 12W with all of the LED die lit.

This basically means the RGBA is not as bright. Think about it logically; if you have 4 LED die at 100%, vs 1 LED die lit and 3 off, say for a Red saber, the 4 red die are DEFINITELY going to outshine, and be brighter than the one. It's a drawback of having the ability and choose to choose your color, change your color on the fly, etc. The really nice part of the RGBA setup on the hero is the onboard color mixer. You can customize any color without needing to plug the saber in, even create a custom mixed color using all four die lit at once, if you find one you like, that will be brighter than the default colors.

There are three options for the hero tier board. All three, again, are listed in the FAQ, which says:
Hero sabers offer color-changing abilities. You can, if you do not want color changing, request a single, 12W LED color to be solid. The standard setup for a Hero is 2 6W colors mixed for 1 12W. IE: Red 6W and Amber 6W for a 12W Blood Orange. The other option is the RGBA, which offers several colors at 3W, mixing for 6W, up to a 12W with all of the LED die lit.

Edit: the new 12W+ LEDs are somewhat brighter, however you are ALWAYS going to experience a brightness loss overall when comparing a solid LED (all four lit, all the time) vs a LED module with only partial die in use.
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Knytiri.

RGBA Concerns and Questions 9 months 2 weeks ago #19316

• bjkourik
I saw the FAQ after I had purchased but all is well, after playing with a RGBA editor I think I may have found the happy medium for the color combinations, the on board editor is a good perk for the Hero Tier.
Own: Hero RGBA Bane
Queued: Hero Amber/Red Gladiator

RGBA Concerns and Questions 8 months 3 weeks ago #20770

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 169
Knytiri wrote:
So on the FAQ, it states:
The other option is the RGBA, which offers several colors at 3W, mixing for 6W, up to a 12W with all of the LED die lit.

This basically means the RGBA is not as bright. Think about it logically; if you have 4 LED die at 100%, vs 1 LED die lit and 3 off, say for a Red saber, the 4 red die are DEFINITELY going to outshine, and be brighter than the one. It's a drawback of having the ability and choose to choose your color, change your color on the fly, etc. The really nice part of the RGBA setup on the hero is the onboard color mixer. You can customize any color without needing to plug the saber in, even create a custom mixed color using all four die lit at once, if you find one you like, that will be brighter than the default colors.

There are three options for the hero tier board. All three, again, are listed in the FAQ, which says:
Hero sabers offer color-changing abilities. You can, if you do not want color changing, request a single, 12W LED color to be solid. The standard setup for a Hero is 2 6W colors mixed for 1 12W. IE: Red 6W and Amber 6W for a 12W Blood Orange. The other option is the RGBA, which offers several colors at 3W, mixing for 6W, up to a 12W with all of the LED die lit.

Edit: the new 12W+ LEDs are somewhat brighter, however you are ALWAYS going to experience a brightness loss overall when comparing a solid LED (all four lit, all the time) vs a LED module with only partial die in use.

I just order a RGBA hero edition of the Mauler Staff one week ago (late September). I am still a little bit confused about brightness. (I thought I understood it but got confused again).

My understanding is this, please correct me

(1) RGBA is a 12W LED built using four LED die, each powered at 3W

(2) Any combination of these four if they total to 12W is JUST AS BRIGHT AS a standard 12W full solid color from Champion. Is this true?

For example, if I have each die lit independently using the same color, say Red so that I have four 3W Red colors giving me 12W in total, will this be as bright as the 12W full solid from Champion? Or am I talking total rubbish?

Thank you for your reply.
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Execute66.

RGBA Concerns and Questions 8 months 3 weeks ago #20771

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471

(2) Any combination of these four if they total to 12W is JUST AS BRIGHT AS a standard 12W full solid color from Champion. Is this true?

1 - True

2 - Not true.

So for the color in your example, Red, in a Champion tier LED you have 4 3W die for a 12W LED module as well... but they're all Red die. And they're all set at 100%. In the RGBA module, you have four die... One red, one blue, one green, one amber. These die can ONLY light these colors at various strengths. You can mix that strength up and down and create lots of fascinating colors; this is the major perk of the RGBA module. But the only option it has that will be as bright as a champion LED will be all four die at 100%, which is going to create a whitish color.

Keep in mind, however, the difference in brightness is NOT night and day. It is NOT extreme. It is noticeable, sure, but it's not something that's going to completely and utterly ruin any saber.

RGBA Concerns and Questions 8 months 3 weeks ago #20773

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 169
Knytiri wrote:

1 - True

2 - Not true.

So for the color in your example, Red, in a Champion tier LED you have 4 3W die for a 12W LED module as well... but they're all Red die. And they're all set at 100%. In the RGBA module, you have four die... One red, one blue, one green, one amber. These die can ONLY light these colors at various strengths. You can mix that strength up and down and create lots of fascinating colors; this is the major perk of the RGBA module. But the only option it has that will be as bright as a champion LED will be all four die at 100%, which is going to create a whitish color.

Keep in mind, however, the difference in brightness is NOT night and day. It is NOT extreme. It is noticeable, sure, but it's not something that's going to completely and utterly ruin any saber.

I understand now. That's clear. It's a trade-off involving color mix versus brightness, and hopefully as you said, the brightness it not "ruinous" in looks (just noticeable and still cool).

This just means by next saber will almost certainly be a Champion one solid color edition. RGBA is cool to have I think as a one-off in a collection.

I wonder what that whitish color looks like (100% all four die). I guess I shall have to wait to find out. :)
"I am the Senate"
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Fallen SF Custom|Story so... (6 Posts)
    • Thank you Ex66, Quote: Great review and write up! What a unique saber! Was your new fallen that special...
    • Great review and write up! What a unique saber! Was your new fallen that special one-off? You have a...
    • [attachment] [attachment] vv Two Indigo's under different Lighting Conditions between a 32" and 37"...
    • [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] ...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4333
  • Latest Member: Jedi_master_515
  • Total Posts: 42.8k
  • Total Topics: 3123
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 21
  • Yesterday Answer: 87