TOPIC: My custom 7W Reborn laser!

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 month ago #67544

• Starmute
  • Thank you received: 16
OvrcAHst wrote:
Starmute wrote:
Which country do you live in?
Australia.
I'm not sure where you're getting the $750 figure.
You can't use more than one of the diodes - it's just (for example) $219 for NUBM44 + $20 for G7 lens + $65 for labor + $20 for shipping. That would be $324 plus whatever your ASP cost is. So a little more reasonable.
My own build's raw cost - that is, just the cost of the parts used to make it - was around $400, less than a hero saber.
My error, (and with allowing the greater for the ASP Parts from a loaded build.. :oops: ) but I took the average of the 3 diodes@$215 + ASP+ lens + labour + shipping + currency conversion + import tax + duty, as rough guesstimates, the 750 was still being generous. :P Unless there is eligibility for circumstances with exemption (e.g. licenced handler), I'm actually convinced that a high powered laser will not see a favourable reception by AFP. :unsure:
BAH!!
Australia is the last thing I wanted to hear. They are Nazis with regard to lasers.
I knew a guy over on LPF (LaserPointerForums) who tried to import a rare-wavelength DPSS laser into Australia. It was seized by customs, who then asked him the power of the laser. He responded (truthfully) 1mW. Customs responded by destroying it because only LESS THAN 1mW is allowed.

But yeah - there is no way for me to send a laser to Australia, not at all. The only option would be to build it yourself. Certainly possible (I may even make a tutorial) but significantly more difficult than a typical saber build. There are so many ways to kill a laser diode by accident, I don't even know most of them.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Starmute.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 month ago #67546

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1702
Starmute wrote:
BAH!!
Australia is the last thing I wanted to hear. They are Nazis with regard to lasers.
I knew a guy over on LPF (LaserPointerForums) who tried to import a rare-wavelength DPSS laser into Australia. It was seized by customs, who then asked him the power of the laser. He responded (truthfully) 1mW. Customs responded by destroying it because only LESS THAN 1mW is allowed.
:lol: Like I wrote, Ordinance Disposal.
But yeah - there is no way for me to send a laser to Australia, not at all. The only option would be to build it yourself. Certainly possible (I may even make a tutorial) but significantly more difficult than a typical saber build.
:blush: Yeah.. not even minimally confident with a 'normal' Saber DIY (other than PnP) so a laser DIY may just belong in the Too-Hard Basket. :lol:
There are so many ways to kill a laser diode by accident, I don't even know most of them.
More than likely, even if it was to be realised, there is just one way, by accident, to kill myself: Laser-Saber! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Starmute

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 month ago #67566

• Starmute
Here's another video, this one is of an old computer mouse. It stopped working, so I decided to light it on fire. :evil:

Keep in mind that this was done in heavy wind, which made actually lighting the fire significantly more difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 month ago #67573

• OvrcAHst
:lol: NUBM44= RodentKiller! Cool Video, was a little anti-climatic but likely I had an ill-understanding of the lasers strength. The slow burning mighta been cool if you did a speed-up. On subject of burning (possibly explosive), have you thought about aiming at a lighter? :whistle: :lol:

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 month ago #67606

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
That looks fun! But I know I couldn't trust myself. :lol: I'd be in the hospital in a week.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by HotRod.

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 month ago #67609

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
HotRod wrote:
That looks fun! But I know I couldn't trust myself. I'd be in the hospital in a week.

No joke. I'd be tempted to build what this guy made (which I don't know how in the hell is legal):

2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst, HotRod

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 month ago #67638

• Starmute
A device like that is not legal to sell to anyone. You would have to disassemble it.
Though as long as you are the one who built it it is perfectly legal.
Fortunately (:P), building something like that is actually quite difficult (far more difficult than my saber build.) You have to deal with a lot of wiring and heatsinking, and I don't know how the heck styro got away with not using a TEC.

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 month ago #67656

• OvrcAHst
Jaden Korr wrote:

No joke. I'd be tempted to build what this guy made (which I don't know how in the hell is legal):

:woohoo: :ohmy: :woohoo: Awesome!

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 month ago #67663

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
:lol: I think that video had the opposite effect of encouraging instead of discouraging.

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 month ago #67670

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 110
HotRod wrote:
:lol: I think that video had the opposite effect of encouraging instead of discouraging.

I agree! I have a feeling someone is going to end up blind in one eye and have some burns that require a hospital trip. I'm not sure my welding helmet for eye protection makes the best cosplay.
:lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRod

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 week ago #69227

• Starmute
Hello folks!

I've finally finished the burning video. Here it is!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, OvrcAHst, HotRod, jonnys95s10

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 week ago #69231

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
Starmute wrote:
Hello folks!

WOW that thing is awesome! I really enjoyed the video and hope to see more.

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 week ago #69232

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 342
Wow. That is sweet! I know scientifically lightsabers can't be done, but this still gives me hope. Nice job.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 week ago #69236

• OvrcAHst
Starmute wrote:
THAT WAS FRIGGIN AMAZING! Great Edit and so dramatic with theatrical audio. Enjoyed every second from start to finish. Will Part 2 feature a Death Star with explosive core? :whistle:

EDIT: hahaha :lol: Can't stop watching it. Great Show!
Question (just being stupid): How plausible is it to increase multiples of the emitter with focusing lens so the focused beam ends up similar to a 1" diameter? Or would that translate into a fire extinguisher sized diameter of a Hilt to hold everything? Question: with a range that it has, you would become even more anonymous with random mailbox blow-ups from a distance right? If it's pointed at a mirror, does first point of contact start to burn or is it transferred with equal strength to the redirected reflected point of contact?
:lol: I would get up to so much trouble if I hand that in hand. Probably just as well my destination Country would have blown it out the window.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 week ago by OvrcAHst.

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 week ago #69238

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
Starmute wrote:
THAT WAS FRIGGIN AMAZING! Great Edit and so dramatic with theatrical audio. Enjoyed every second from start to finish. Will Part 2 feature a Death Star with explosive core?

Someone get him a beach ball, newspaper, paste, and some paint. We need to see this go BOOM!
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst, EternalWing

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 week ago #69252

• Starmute
I just posted the video to reddit, it'd be great if you folks could upvote it! :)
Here it is!
Last Edit: 1 year 1 week ago by Starmute.

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 week ago #69253

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Starmute wrote:
I just posted the video to reddit, it'd be great if you folks could upvote it! :)
Here it is!

Trying to help you out with the /r/videos post but it seems like the score is fluctuating a lot.

My custom 7W Reborn laser! 1 year 1 week ago #69366

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
This video makes me happy on so many levels! Excellent job with the demonstration, timing of the music, and the saber itself! I really liked the lightbulb cracking, ha!

I could see you doing something like this in the format of one of those cheesy 1950's instructional videos.

"Wanna make a lightsaber with a laser? Sure you do...but don't burn your eyes out, Billy". :lol:

Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Sabercore editor bricked ... (11 Posts)
    • Great! B)
    • Thanks , I set Heirloom to solid and put swing sensitivity and clash sensitivity differently so...
    • Jaymz7 Glad to hear your back on track With Windows 8/10 I don’t trust third party software......
    • The easiest way to see the FoC effect is to adjust one of the fonts so that it has no blade effect,...
    • So, I had multiple problems, none of which were SF related ... First, my computer had a program...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6012
  • Latest Member: ovipupu
  • Total Posts: 61.9k
  • Total Topics: 5157
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 12
  • Yesterday Answer: 52