Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: My first saber, and home made saber stand!

My first saber, and home made saber stand! 6 months 5 days ago #73886

• Callyste
  • Thank you received: 10
A dream now come true, I now have my own real life lightsaber, as I received my Gladiator last week!

I can't express how happy I am with it. The lit crystal chamber is amazing, the leather wrap is great (I was worried it the brown would be too light), the saber has great hefty feeling to it, and is really comfortable to hold in hand. The craft is a real sight to behold!

I was so stoked, that I immediately tried to make a saber stand to showcase it in my display case.

I took a few pics - the quality of the pictures isn't fantastic, sorry for this. And I have to say they don't even do the saber justice (I should have taken pics under better light, and without flash). The saber stand itself is my very first DIY project, so even though it might not seem impressive to all of you veteran DIYers, I'm very happy with how it turned out!

And a variant of the stand, with blue leds instead of white. I'm not sure which I prefer:

Now... only one, big downside with that lightsaber: I now want more lightsabers!

May the Force ever serve you
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, Borommakot

My first saber, and home made saber stand! 6 months 5 days ago #73898

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 322
Congrats! The Gladius/Gladiator is such a lovely saber to hold. I really like how the crystal chamber is done on the Gladiator.

When I got my Gladius I was surprised by how good it felt in the hand, especially gripping it up near the emitter (which is how your SWTOR character holds it).

That stand looks sweet too. IDK what you used for it, but if it could cycle between blue and white that'd be really cool. But if I to choose one or the other I'd go with the white.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Callyste

My first saber, and home made saber stand! 6 months 5 days ago #73903

• Callyste
Thanks Kelborn!

Indeed, it feels reaaaaaally good to hold, either right below the emitter, or by the leather wrap... or both, like SWTOR's guardians ^^

I made the stand with very basic stuff - and it was surprisingly easy to make, even to someone like me who has basically no prior DIY experience!

The base is made from two very cheap picture frames. On the top frame, I stuck 2 layers of frosted window film (for light diffusion) between the 2 glass panels that came with the frames, and a steel "grid" I cut to size at the top.
I used adhesive LED strips on the inner side of the bottom frame, and cut a small hole in the back to make room for the plug to power them. And finally, I screwed two door knobs with a suitable design on the top.

Alas though, the led color is fixed. I've seen similar led strips that were color-programable with a remote, but it was too expensive for just testing. I've also seen optional sensors that you can plug between the led strips and the power cable, which allows to vary the LEDs' brightness depending on the ambient light.

Now I know that the designs works and that the end result is satisfying, I might test both these options someday!
Last Edit: 6 months 5 days ago by Callyste.

My first saber, and home made saber stand! 6 months 5 days ago #73908

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1293
Very nice! I don't yet have a Gladius in my collection yet, but it is still on my list! B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

My first saber, and home made saber stand! 6 months 5 days ago #73910

• Callyste
Thanks! At first I was actually interested in the Dissident, but I felt the Gladiator (and the Gladius) had more character, and a more "Old Republic era" look to it. I really don't regret my pick.

But... I might still get a Dissident in the future. When my bank account has recovered from the blow :lol:

My first saber, and home made saber stand! 6 months 5 days ago #73923

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 316
Sweet Gladiator! Congrats! The stand is quite nice too. Well done!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

My first saber, and home made saber stand! 6 months 3 days ago #73970

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 94
Awesome, got a Gladius myself, but that crystal chamber is amazing! And wow that LED-stand! :woohoo:
I would definitely go with blue - might be a bit overkill, but I love the Tron Legacy vibe it gives off and functions well with the LED from the hilt itself :cheer:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

My first saber, and home made saber stand! 6 months 2 days ago #74001

• Callyste
Yeah, the crystal chamber is amazing!

As for the color of the stand... I've seen that the same led strips I used are also made in RGB, programmable on the fly with a remote between 15 different colors, as well as changing brightness! So I might just modify it with this strip to have ALL the colors ^^

If you're interested to make a similar stand, it's surprisingly easy. I think the hardest part is to find suitable door knobs (or something else similar) to hold the saber. Apart from that, barely any work is needed beside one or 2 dremel cuts!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• A Good Lightweight Blade (1 Posts)
    • Hey guys. I wanted everyone's opinion on a good lightweight blade for my little girl to use in her...
    • My Hilt Was Boring! (12 Posts)
    • Quote: I like the vibe you have created with this saber! Got almost a steampunk thing going. I was...
    • Favorite unreleased Saber... (25 Posts)
    • Quote: How about this for you fans of the Anduril themed saber. Apparently, Thomas Snyder had one made by...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5714
  • Latest Member: Niki1KNep
  • Total Posts: 59.8k
  • Total Topics: 4949
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 22
  • Yesterday Answer: 47