Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Parallel Guardian

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83561

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1873
I purchased a preowned empty Guardian recently from one of the Fb Groups. The former Owner bought it empty and had Trans Gold applied to it.
This was its previous form and how it was received.

I didn't care much for the received Black and Gold scheme, more so the matte finish of the anodised black contrasts too great against the gloss clear coated Gold. What was omitted by the Seller also was that the threads were locked and glued (including the pommel). :angry:

Thus started the tedious task of separating the parts.
The anodise was stripped from the emitter, body, pommel and covertech wheel so that only the Trans Gold remained on the emitter flange, body shroud and pommel vent. Gave it a good ol' mirror polish and now remain undecided of its fate..

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7, =Ottomatix=, scifidude79

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83562

• shane45_1911
  • Thank you received: 20
What did you use to unglue the parts? Heat?

I like the way it looks now. If it were mine, I'd call it a day and be proud of the transformation.
"Do, or do not - there is no 'try'."

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83568

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 711
It is almost unrecognizable as a Guardian in the first instance (as Gui Gon hilts almost always are seen in the usual canon finish). Should be a nice complement to your Gui Gon hilt (I recall you have a SF Guardian Crystal).
"I am the Senate"

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83579

• OvrcAHst
shane45_1911 wrote:
What did you use to unglue the parts? Heat?
There are several methods of application (& I tried a few with some in combination) however Yes, heat was the first attempt: unsuccessful. I then tried freezing it: unsuccessful. Froze it again for longer and injected acetone into the locked joints: unsuccessful. Then saturated the joint with machine oil (WD-40): unsuccessful. Threw it aside and walked away from it for a couple of days. Came back (after leaving it in the sun for a few hours) locked it in a vice and left it to Lucy ;)

Now i'm unsure which of the previous attempts or a combination of may have contributed to it successfully loosening but it was freed and I didn't look back. :lol:
I like the way it looks now. If it were mine, I'd call it a day and be proud of the transformation.
Thank you. B)

Execute66 wrote:
It is almost unrecognizable as a Guardian in the first instance (as Gui Gon hilts almost always are seen in the usual canon finish).

:lol: :lol: writes the Owner of these that you shared once upon a time?? :whistle: ;)

Other finishes and colour schemes are around also..

Should be a nice complement to your Gui Gon hilt (I recall you have a SF Guardian Crystal).
:blush: yeah, I no longer own that. It was sold quite some time ago and now resides in Canada.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83591

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 711
Those two Christmas greens and reds still look recognizable as Qui Gons owing to the original black anodized hilt bodies. But your super shiny finish takes the QG to another dimension of bling. Applying gold to the bridges (arches giving the deep grooves) as per the photos you posted look quite something too.
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Execute66.

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83594

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 167
Damn, just when you think you've sorta figured out what hilts can be pimped and which can't, you come along and change the rules :ohmy: :blink: :P
Wow, just wow; that's a really cool looking saber and indeed totally turns around the normal Qui-Gon look, seeing as usually at least the black parts stay black - now indeed the gold accents work way better :woohoo:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83612

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 301
Why would the pommel on an empty hilt be glued on? :ohmy:

That looks really slick with the gold and your ultra shiny finish that you're keen to do. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the electronics.

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83663

• OvrcAHst
Execute66 wrote:
Those two Christmas greens and reds still look recognizable as Qui Gons owing to the original black anodized hilt bodies.
Agree to disagree :lol: Some may argue that the accuracy traits and points of recognition lie with (the black body, red activation, silver flange and shroud and the deep grooves) and not just one or part of and that's okay if Official Canon is your thing. Have never been too anal with absolute accuracy personally. Run off your own Canon and crossover reasons since the respective versions in each ones respective collections has each their own as its primary audience anyway. ;)

CrimsonJax88 wrote:
...you come along and change the rules :ohmy: :blink: :P
Wow, just wow; that's a really cool looking saber and indeed totally turns around the normal Qui-Gon look,
:lol: I'm not normal.

scifidude79 wrote:
Why would the pommel on an empty hilt be glued on?
Exactly.. :huh: :unsure:
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the electronics.
:blush: still undecided at this point in time but will be sure to share it should that change. B)

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83666

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 562

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83703

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 67
Apologies if you've already answered this, but do you polish your sabers by hand? I'm always amazed at the polished finishes you do on your hilts, and would like to know how you do it. I have a bench grinder with a buffing wheel, but I'm afraid it will be uneven if I use it. Beautiful job, as usual, OvrcAHst. I always look forward to your new project posts.

Parallel Guardian 2 months 2 weeks ago #83737

• OvrcAHst
Rennek wrote:
Apologies if you've already answered this, but do you polish your sabers by hand?
:( Yes. It's slow and tedious. I picked up a mini bench grinder once upon a time but given it's size, just doesn't have the required RPM's to do what I need it to or, in short, don't have the power!. For smaller, intricate areas where grooves or uneven surfaces are in play, have been using a Dremel with flex-tether wand attachment but by hand isn't completely eliminated as a step.
I'm always amazed at the polished finishes you do on your hilts, and would like to know how you do it. I have a bench grinder with a buffing wheel, but I'm afraid it will be uneven if I use it.
Thank you :blush:
If you've got a bench grinder with buffing wheel, go nuts and as a result, you'll be able to achieve the desired results so much quicker. There are some tutorials on YT specific to that method, just search metal polishing and apply the same principle to saber hilts ;) .

Best if the hilt is empty (although is still doable) and depending on the condition of the aluminium, site-prep with gradual grit over wet/dry application may still be required. You can then add some polishing compound (green IIRC) and finish up with Mother's Mag Aluminium Polish. B)
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Thomas Snyder Quote of th... (4 Posts)
    • SF always have something up their sleeve! Will be waiting for their take on these hilts.
    • Changing soundfonts on th... (16 Posts)
    • Try updating the firmware....save your fonts first the do the update the firmware file is in your...
    • Pro's and Con's of this h... (21 Posts)
    • I am fortunate that had my wife lived (lost her to mental illness some years back) she would have...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6731
  • Latest Member: JamesAmeft
  • Total Posts: 67.1k
  • Total Topics: 5680
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 13
  • Yesterday Answer: 33