Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Fossilized Fury

Fossilized Fury 3 months 5 days ago #84145

• shane45_1911
  • Thank you received: 21
Well, I got my FIRST hilt yesterday and spent the better part of last night making it look like it is indeed from "a long time ago..."
Better pics and a bit of review to follow later this week hopefully!

"Do, or do not - there is no 'try'."
Last Edit: 3 months 4 days ago by shane45_1911.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Execute66, OvrcAHst, scifidude79

Fossilized Fury 3 months 5 days ago #84150

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 183
Is this just your own work or is it a finish/powdercoat that's been sanded down by you?
Looks awesome in any case, like how the Fury is a good base for trying out new stuff :cheer:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
The following user(s) said Thank You: shane45_1911

Fossilized Fury 3 months 4 days ago #84151

• shane45_1911
Nope, it arrived as your standard-finish Fury. I added my own weathering.

I agree that the Fury is a good base for trying out stuff. That big emitter has a lot of flat surface area to experiment upon.

While I may not weather the other half a dozen hilts I have on order, I thought I'd take a chance and either ruin my first one, or hopefully have it turn out ok as a testbed for future weathering projects.

Fossilized Fury 3 months 4 days ago #84156

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1910
shane45_1911 wrote:
Well, I got my FIRST hilt yesterday and spent the better part of last night making it look like it is indeed from a "long time ago..."
:woohoo: Nice work. Is this the result of your cold bluing application (paper towel dabbed with rust coloured primer)?

Fossilized Fury 3 months 4 days ago #84157

• shane45_1911
OvrcAHst wrote:
Nice work. Is this the result of your cold bluing application (paper towel dabbed with rust coloured primer)?

Thanks.

Yep, there was a bit of that as well as some sponge work and some rattle-can spray.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Fossilized Fury 3 months 4 days ago #84159

• OvrcAHst
shane45_1911 wrote:
Yep, there was a bit of that as well as some sponge work and some rattle-can spray.
Curious mate, it looks like you've got a stunt Fury. How'd you rinse off the bluing solution on an installed hilt? also after the site prep and bluing applied, did you oil the surface again before the paint/primer step (or did you just go with the oil already in the paint as the final coat)?

Fossilized Fury 3 months 4 days ago #84162

• shane45_1911
OvrcAHst wrote:
Curious mate, it looks like you've got a stunt Fury. How'd you rinse off the bluing solution on an installed hilt? also after the site prep and bluing applied, did you oil the surface again before the paint/primer step (or did you just go with the oil already in the paint as the final coat)?

Yep, it's (just) a stunt. I ordered the hilt from Etsy with the Warrior package. The first thing I saw was the additional set screw in the emitter, that holds the pointy shroud thing onto the body. I didn't see this screw on any pics on the Etsy or SF site. And there is no screw for the LED in the body anywhere. I'm not sure why this would be different than a sound package, with regards to the set screws?

Regarding the bluing, I just dabbed a bit on, moved it around a bit with a q-tip, and basically let it dry. I then used a damp paper towel to remove any of the whitish oxidization that was left. Rinse and repeat for certain areas to get them darker.

I used a combination of acrylic (water based) paints first, with a dry brush technique. Then light misting of spray can oil-based paints for the final coat. Up close, it doesn't look like paint at all - just the heavily weathered finish I was hoping for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Fossilized Fury 3 months 4 days ago #84164

• OvrcAHst
shane45_1911 wrote:
The first thing I saw was the additional set screw in the emitter, that holds the pointy shroud thing onto the body. I didn't see this screw on any pics on the Etsy or SF site. And there is no screw for the LED in the body anywhere. I'm not sure why this would be different than a sound package, with regards to the set screws?
Don't know what to tell you :lol: it's not uncommon for slight variances to occur with the screw retention. The total measurement I replied with (different thread) was based off a recent one, namely the Blood Fury). The version I had prior to that had a single setscrew that doubled as shroud retention and blade retention with the LED retention further down in the choke.

Looking at the Blood Fury again, there's an LED retention in the groove topside which is independent to the blade retention. On Main Site's image, it looks to be in a different position again.. :huh:

Regarding the bluing, I just dabbed a bit on, moved it around a bit with a q-tip, and basically let it dry. I then used a damp paper towel to remove any of the whitish oxidization that was left. Rinse and repeat for certain areas to get them darker.

I used a combination of acrylic (water based) paints first, with a dry brush technique. Then light misting of spray can oil-based paints for the final coat. Up close, it doesn't look like paint at all - just the heavily weathered finish I was hoping for.
Gotcha. Great result. Now.. I just need to find an outlet near me that stocks the solution for something to add to the DIY skillset. :P

Fossilized Fury 3 months 4 days ago #84169

• shane45_1911
Thanks for the pics.

My hilt does not have set screws in either one of the areas you marked. Odd indeed. Perhaps I have an ultra rare limited edition....lol.
:silly:

Fossilized Fury 3 months 4 days ago #84177

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 349
That's really awesome looking. It looks like it's been sitting in a pit somewhere for a long time.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Ultrasabers Dorinian (21 Posts)
    • Quote: This helps a ton For Tyeth. It also gives backstory to why the Clone Wars Era Sabers are so similar...
    • Saberforge ignoring me (2 Posts)
    • I know the folks in Customer Support. I assure you, they are not ignoring you. They literally...
    • Help! No Power, 6 Month O... (3 Posts)
    • Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately not, the computer doesn't pick up the device when being plugged...
    • Help! No Power, 6 Month O... (3 Posts)
    • Hi Domfletch1986 Sorry to hear of your issues Have you tried connecting to a PC? If you can...
    • Ultrasabers Dorinian (21 Posts)
    • Quote: Hi Raakalaht, You're not crazy, it's a good question. The answer is a Clan sabers are sabers such...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6829
  • Latest Member: Domfletch1986
  • Total Posts: 68.8k
  • Total Topics: 5800
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 32
  • Yesterday Answer: 58