Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability"

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 9 months 2 days ago #22406

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 344
Introduction: Recently as I was considering the topic of hilts and which ones I was most comfortable dueling with I decided to rate all my sabers with a specific criteria. The main purpose of this exercise was for my own enjoyment so this is by no means a professional, definitive, absolute, authoritative, or accurate measure of a hilt’s “duel ability” but rather a subjective measure grounded in my preferences and experiences. Here is an explanation of my measures:

“Balance” is a measure of how fit the hilt is for flourishes, spins, and any other acrobatic maneuvers. The balance of a hilt is typically a sizable factor in my suggestions for grips.

“Comfort” measures how securely and comfortably the dueler can grip the hilt. Leather wraps or ribbed grips typically result in a high score in this category.

“Versatility” is a measure of the ease at which the dueler can adapt their style of stance to that of their opponent based on the design of the hilt. Hilts which can transition from one to two handed grips or from offensive to defensive stances with ease will score higher in this category.

“Precision” measures the ability of a hilt to enable fine motor movements such as slashes , parries, and thrusts.

“Power” is a measure of how much force the hilt can generate. Typically the longer the hilt the greater the leverage which results in greater force generated. “Sundering” one handed strikes and bruising 180 degree swings are most effective with hilts that score high in this measure.

The other two stats, “grip” and “blade length,” are suggestions based on my own experiences. My notes are anecdotal information that communicates my overall sense of the hilt.

A note on the “scores:” My scoring schema is highly objective and you could potentially score the same hilt in a very difference manner. The scores also do not reflect on a hilt’s “duel worthiness.” All of SF’s sabers are duel worthy (except several of the crystal reveal sabers), that is they are fit for athletic and aggressive dueling. Within that duel worthiness there is a spectrum of “duel ability” which is the factor I am measuring. Hilts are rated on a 5 point scale:

1: This hilt is not proficient in this category.
2: This hilt is near proficiency in this category.
3: This hilt is proficient in this category.
4: This hilt is above proficient in this category.
5: This hilt excels in this category.

Final notes: My height is 5’10” and I have a reach of 1’11.” Again, I would like to reiterate that this exercise is to generate discussion and for fun. Everyone’s body and personal preferences dictate which hilts best serve them. Even though I didn’t score the Archon as high as the Gladius I prefer the Archon when I duel because I favor the defensive/decisive style the hilt encourages. A “low” score means nothing beyond the fact that I found the hilt lacking in some respect and this shouldn’t strongly influence any decisions you might be making when considering a hilt because your experiences may be completely different than mine. *Whew* That out of the way, the ratings!

Addendum: If you write a review, either using my template or your own, I'll cite your review and integrate into this first post so we can build a community post-type-thing about our hilts.

Archon

Author: h2soy
Balance: 2
Comfort: 3
Versatility: 2
Precision: 4
Power: 5
Grip: 2 Handed
Blade Length: 32”/37”
Notes: The Archon is an intriguing hilt in that it is capable of generating a great deal of force in a two handed grip through aggressively utilizing the leverage afforded by its exceptionally long hilt length. This leveraging power comes at the cost of the hilt’s balance which limits the dexterity of the wielder. Still, one handed 180 degree arc strikes are possible but such all out attacks, while powerful, leave the dueler dangerously unguarded. I would suggest a strong defense coupled with surgical strikes best suit this hilt.

Acolyte

Author: thesunisgrey
Balance: 5
Comfort: 3.5
Versatility: 4
Power: 4
Grip 1/2 Handed
Blade: 32"/27"
The Acolyte is the most balanced of the Apprentice line-up at least from the hilts I've held of each. It's also weighted well for a 32" blade but works (at the loss of power but extra precision) with a 27" as well. I have a special place for the Arbiter due to its streamlined nature, but this hilt is my favorite in every other way.

Arbiter (1st gen)

Balance: 4
Comfort: 5
Versatility: 5
Precision: 5
Power: 3
Grip 1/2 Handed
The Arbiter v1 has very easy grips between the smooth lower section and the thinner upper section. That said, the most balance grip is one-handed around the emitter. The hilt itself is balanced more toward the base of it which is why it matches VERY well with a 32" blade. (I haven't tried a 27" but that'd reduce power and put precision to a 6) - Functions well with one or two hands but isn't a power-hilt by any means.

Arbiter (2nd gen)

Balance: 4.5
Comfort: 4.5
Versatility: 4.5
Precision: 5.5
Power: 3.5
Grip 1/2 Handed
Very similar to the Arbiter v1, the v2 provides a nicer grip section overall at the cost of some gripping-room. The windows at the top unfortunately eliminate the comfort at the most balanced point from the prior version. The weight is a bit more than the previous version which does allow you to generated more power but not much. Overall, it's still as comfortable as the v1 but since the room to hold it is less, I rate it slightly below in comfort and versatility (5 in looks though) Due to the extra weight, it IS a more precise hilt and that's what I appreciate about it. Probably my favorite hilt thus far.

Bane

Versatility:2
Precision: 5
Grip: 1 Handed
Blade Length: 27”/32”
Notes: The Bane, being a curved hilt, grants a nearly unparalleled degree of accuracy while limiting the dexterity of spins and flourishes. A traditional single handed dueling stance best suits this hilt as two handed wielding is nearly impossible. The comfort of this hilt is also a factor the dueler should consider when choosing which style of dueling to emulate as the design, once again, encourages a single handed grip.

Consular

Versatility: 3
Precision: 3
Power: 2
Notes: Any dueler looking for a highly capable shoto hilt or a hilt for small hands would be well served by the Consular. Its short hilt length and very comfortable design make it an excellent choice for a defensive/offhand saber for duel wielders. An exceptionally well placed choke point makes it unlikely that it will be dropped or knocked out of the dueler’s hand.

Balance: 3
Precision: 3 or 6
Power: 5 or 3
Grip 1 or 2 handed
I know this is a lot of peoples' favorite hilts but for me, the blade length effects a LOT of how this hilt functions. A 27" blade allows for perhaps the most precise hilt I've used yet- even lending itself to a reverse grip if one should so choose (and you'd better believe I've tried it. There's not a lot of power behind a 27" blade consular but it's won me more duels than I ever thought it would- becoming one of my favorite sabers to have used. Flip over to a 32" blade and this hilt becomes entirely different: It becomes seriously weighted toward the blade and thus generates a LOT of power (and I mean a LOT). The precision is fine but definitely decreased when using a 32" blade. With a 27", I love this hilt. With the 32" I prefer the Arbiter or Acolyte.

Disciple

Comfort: 4
Notes: The Disciple is a solid, if unremarkable, dueler. Being an apprentice hilt it is relatively shorter than most other hilts which limits it versatility and power. It is, however, very comfortable as it features a leather wrap and well-rounded surfaces. I would assert it’s one of the better sabers for beginners to train with due to its all-round solid performance.

Dissident

Power: 4.5
Blade: 32"/37"
The Dissident is comfortable in the leather section below the emitter. Unfortunately as the emitter bulges out a significant amount, its 2-handing is awkward and unbalanced. It's got a LOT of power for holding it near the base and would be a great dueler for one with larger hands. - You COULD use it in the off-hand but that reduces most of the stats but a fair amount.

Epoch (2nd gen)

Author:BZArcher
Comfort: 2
This version of the hilt was replaced by the ASP / 2015 "vertical window" hilt, but I felt doing a review might be good for anyone who was considering adding one of these to their collection. At slightly over 1' long, the "Classic" Epoch almost demands to be held in a two handed grip, but the raised edges along both the emitter windows and switch / grip section can make this very uncomfortable without gloves or unless the edges are sanded down.
The hilt is noticably pommel heavy without a blade installed, and anything less than a 37" blade tends to feel a bit too short to get the most out of the power the duelist is capable of generating through the hilt's excellent leverage.
The hilt can be used single handed, or even reversed with some practice (and particular with a shorter blade), but it's clear the original design was for a strong two handed hilt that would support Form I and Form V moves, and it's a good fit for anyone looking to practice those styles. All power and minimal finesse, it's basically the saber equivalent of a drag car.
The Epoch will serve adequately when on defense, but this is a design that favors the aggressive fighter, and will reward someone who handles it appropriately. I can completely understand the reasons why SF decided to significantly redesign the hilt for the ASP release, but there's a reason beyond the aesthetics that this hilt has a passionate following.

Epoch (3rd gen)

Grip: 1/2 Handed
Notes: If one is willing to overlook the relative discomfort of grasping the Epoch by its emitter windows the dueler will find the hilt is a solid, albeit unremarkable, dueler. The mid-body choke hampers the balance of the hilt and encourages the wielder to stick to direct attacks rather than acrobatic flourishes.

Exhalted

Notes: Unique among the “think necked” hilts is the Exhalted which lacks the hallmark control box of this class of hilt. The long neck disrupts the balance of the hilt which makes flourishes difficult to execute. I would assert that it a two handed grip would best utilize the potential leveraging power of this hilt.

Fallen

Author: CulinaryJedi
Balance: 3/4
Grip: 1 or 2 handed
Notes: I don't have much experience dueling, but based on a quick session the other night I feel I can give a decent assessment of this saber. In a nutshell, this is a very good saber for dueling. It is very comfortable to grip; no sharp edges, no control boxes to get in the way, and great for people with bigger hands like me. It's fairly balanced with a 37inch blade, but I feel a 32inch blade would improve on this slightly and allow for a little more precision. It can be used single handed, two handed, or be utilized in conjunction with a second saber for dual-wielding, though I feel it is best used with a prominently two handed style in conjunction with some single handed strikes. If I had been going 100%, this would have been a hilt that would allow for very easy power. I was maybe going 50-60% and I broke the tip off an old V3 blade after maybe 10 minutes of dueling.

Gladius v1

Grip 1/2 Handed
Blade: Any Length
This might be the only hilt that rivals the Arbiter for my favorite. I love how balanced and well-suited to dueling it IS (comfort and versatility, yo!) Again, the blade length effects the hilt but not near as significantly as the Consular. You can hold it comfortably below the emitter with one-hand or on both the leather and the smooth aluminum for two-hands.

Gladius (2nd gen)

Notes: The Gladius is arguably SF’s best dueler. Its balance is second to none and handles well in either a one or two handed grip. This enables the Gladius to be utilized in a number of stances and allows for seamless transitions between a strong offense and solid defense. Also remarkable is how comfortable the hilt is and it features three distinct regions (leather wrap, midline ridges, and choke point behind the emitter) that the dueler can choose from to maintain a grip. The Gladius is best served by shorter blades that maintain the hilt’s balance.

Phoenix

Notes: A full body shroud and a relatively small ribbed grip section limits the versatility of the Phoenix. However, the graspable space that the dueler has to work with is very comfortable, albeit low on the body which encourages the use of this hilt as an offhand hilt or shoto. The full body shroud also limits the versatility of use as the exposed grip areas encourage the dueler to hold the hilt in a particular manner.

Reborn

Notes: Sporting a uniquely shaped body the Reborn is far more duel worthy than it looks. I would suggest that it is best utilized when the dueler uses a single handed grip and adopts a style that takes advantage of its superior balance. Judicious use of spins and flourishes can be paired with well leveraged attacks that could leave an unsuspecting opponent off balance.

Reliant

Notes: Combining a long body with a high choke point the Reliant is a reliable two handed saber that transitions well to a single handed grip. Its strength, however, is also a weakness as the length of the hilt throws off its balance and makes it challenging to use single handedly for more than a few minutes. Still I rank the Reliant as being one of the most reliable (pun intended) SF sabers. To maximize its dueling potential it is suggested that the control box be removed.

Sorcerer

Notes: A visually interesting hilt whose very short length hampers its dueling potential. When combined into a staff the Sorcerer lacks the necessary body length to be manipulated appropriately. This seems to relegate this hilt to a role as either an off-hand hilt for dual wielders or as a shoto.

Templar

Precision: 2
Notes: Surprisingly comfortable and designed with a long body the Templar is a hilt I would categorize as a “bruiser.” The presence of cross guards limits the versatility and balance of this hilt and makes traditional saber dueling unfeasible. However, if properly utilized, opponents can be kept on the defensive through the aggressive use of force that takes advantage of the superior leverage this hilt affords and remain defensively solid through appropriate positioning of the cross guard blades.

Vigilant

Precision: 2
Notes: Chock full of greeblies and sporting a low profile control box the Vigilant is a hilt whose design hampers its dueling potential. If the dueler removes the greeblies then they would have a hilt of average dueling ability. If they don’t remove the greeblies they are limited to a secure grip near the choke point of the hilt that has space for a single hand.
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by h2soy.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CulinaryJedi, BZArcher, Jedikind, Faethien, SupremusTotus

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 1 day ago #22408

• h5o
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks for taking the time to share your inputs about these sabers. I dont plan on dueling but this topic is making me think about getting a couple dueling sabers to practice with
The Force existed long before the Jedi and Sith united under the light and dark.
It will be here long after these empires crumble...

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 1 day ago #22409

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 760
Good information man!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 1 day ago #22414

• BZArcher
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 83
Great post!

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 1 day ago #22417

• CulinaryJedi
  • "I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing."
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks for this! Overall feels like a very effective way to more accurately rate a lightsaber for multiple different categories. Always figured the Gladius would be a very effective dueling saber.

I'm always surprised at how comfortable most people find the Reborn. I love the look of the hilt, but basically got it so I could have the complete Revan collection (and so that once I get a Darth and KotOR Jedi version of the costumes I could costume as any version I wanted to). I guess I'll just have to wait until I get to hold it myself to see how it feels to me.
Fallen 12W Purple/12W+ Red
Epoch 6W Cyan
Reborn 12W+ Indigo DT
Next Order: Parks/Korbanth Graflex 2.0

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 1 day ago #22418

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
I'm always surprised at how comfortable most people find the Reborn. I love the look of the hilt, but basically got it so I could have the complete Revan collection (and so that once I get a Darth and KotOR Jedi version of the costumes I could costume as any version I wanted to). I guess I'll just have to wait until I get to hold it myself to see how it feels to me.
I bought my Reborn because of its distinctive design (looks like a Bauhaus sculpture to me) and was intrigued by how comfortable it is. That said you're sorta limited to a one handed grip as the top of the saber is wider that the bottom.

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 5 hours ago #22498

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
  • Judge me by my size, do you?
  • Thank you received: 22
Thank you! Thank you so much h2soy for sharing your thoughts on this.

When my collection grows as big as yours, I'll make sure to share my thoughts as well!

Thank you again :)

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 2 hours ago #22504

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
When my collection grows as big as yours, I'll make sure to share my thoughts as well!
I had hoped this would generate more conversation about what people think about their own hilts, you don't have to have a large collection to share what you think about the hilt(s) you have. :)

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 2 hours ago #22505

• CulinaryJedi
Fallen
Balance: 3/4
Grip: 1 or 2 handed
Notes: I don't have much experience dueling, but based on a quick session the other night I feel I can give a decent assessment of this saber. In a nutshell, this is a very good saber for dueling. It is very comfortable to grip; no sharp edges, no control boxes to get in the way, and great for people with bigger hands like me. It's fairly balanced with a 37inch blade, but I feel a 32inch blade would improve on this slightly and allow for a little more precision. It can be used single handed, two handed, or be utilized in conjunction with a second saber for dual-wielding, though I feel it is best used with a prominently two handed style in conjunction with some single handed strikes. If I had been going 100%, this would have been a hilt that would allow for very easy power. I was maybe going 50-60% and I broke the tip off an old V3 blade after maybe 10 minutes of dueling.

Overall, if I was a duelist, this would be a very effective saber. Especially with the addition of gloves for added traction. The Gladius is the only saber I have in mind that would probably be a more capable dueling saber for me, depending on how my hands fit on the saber.
Epoch 6W Cyan
Reborn 12W+ Indigo DT

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 2 hours ago #22506

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
  • Judge me by my size, do you?
  • Thank you received: 22
h2soy wrote:
I had hoped this would generate more conversation about what people think about their own hilts, you don't have to have a large collection to share what you think about the hilt(s) you have. :)

I don't have any hilt ... YET!
:woohoo:

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 1 hour ago #22507

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
It can be used single handed, two handed, or be utilized in conjunction with a second saber for dual-wielding, though I feel it is best used with a prominently two handed style in conjunction with some single handed strikes.
How do you hold it two handed? I can't wrap my mind around griping the top half.
The Gladius is the only saber I have in mind that would probably be a more capable dueling saber for me, depending on how my hands fit on the saber.
The Gladius I purchased because pretty much everyone at some point owns a Gladius and raves about it. Having one myself it is a freakishly adept dueler. The downside is that it kina looks like a flashlight. This is a tradeoff I feel happens frequently: the cooler the saber looks it the less of a capable dueler it is.

I appreciate that you wrote up a review, Culinary, I'm going to integrate it into my original post. Everyone else who wants to, write a review using my template or your own and I'll add it in and cite the author.

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 1 hour ago #22508

• CulinaryJedi
h2soy wrote:
It can be used single handed, two handed, or be utilized in conjunction with a second saber for dual-wielding, though I feel it is best used with a prominently two handed style in conjunction with some single handed strikes.
How do you hold it two handed? I can't wrap my mind around griping the top half.

I think you're mistaking the Fallen for the Reborn haha. Unfortunately still don't have my Reborn, hopefully I'll have that within the next couple of weeks.
Epoch 6W Cyan
Reborn 12W+ Indigo DT

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 1 hour ago #22509

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
I think you're mistaking the Fallen for the Reborn haha. Unfortunately still don't have my Reborn, hopefully I'll have that within the next couple of weeks.
Bwah-hah-ha! You're right, let me fix that. My reading comprehension skills aren't up to snuff this morning.
Last Edit: 9 months 1 hour ago by h2soy.

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 22 minutes ago #22513

• BZArcher
  • Elite Member
Epoch "Classic"

This version of the hilt was replaced by the ASP / 2015 "vertical window" hilt, but I felt doing a review might be good for anyone who was considering adding one of these to their collection.

At slightly over 1' long, the "Classic" Epoch almost demands to be held in a two handed grip, but the raised edges along both the emitter windows and switch / grip section can make this very uncomfortable without gloves or unless the edges are sanded down.
The hilt is noticably pommel heavy without a blade installed, and anything less than a 37" blade tends to feel a bit too short to get the most out of the power the duelist is capable of generating through the hilt's excellent leverage.

The hilt can be used single handed, or even reversed with some practice (and particular with a shorter blade), but it's clear the original design was for a strong two handed hilt that would support Form I and Form V moves, and it's a good fit for anyone looking to practice those styles. All power and minimal finesse, it's basically the saber equivalent of a drag car.

The Epoch will serve adequately when on defense, but this is a design that favors the aggressive fighter, and will reward someone who handles it appropriately. I can completely understand the reasons why SF decided to significantly redesign the hilt for the ASP release, but there's a reason beyond the aesthetics that this hilt has a passionate following.

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 9 months 5 minutes ago #22514

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Epoch "Classic"
Nice, TY! I tweaked your title a bit because this is the 2nd gen model (there was a version that came before it that people are less familiar with).

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 8 months 4 weeks ago #22518

• BZArcher
  • Elite Member
Yeah, I almost called it the "2014" Epoch, but I wasn't actually sure when the hilt was originally released.

Glad that I can help out!

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 8 months 4 weeks ago #22519

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 760
I think the version previous to the current one was the V2, and the current one is V3.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 8 months 4 weeks ago #22520

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
1st Gen

2nd Gen

3rd Gen

The ASP iteration will be a bit shorter and have the power button/kill key in the switch section rather than the lower body.
Last Edit: 8 months 4 weeks ago by h2soy.

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 8 months 4 weeks ago #22521

• CulinaryJedi
I don't think I've ever seen the Gen 1 Epoch before, so it's really cool to see one. Seems like that bar on the back would get in the way a little.

I love the look of the Gen 2, which is why it was the first saber I bought from SF. That being said, it's definitely not the greatest saber for dueling. The two "prongs" beneath the emitter window are super cool, but very sharp if you don't file them down. Makes for a very awesome look, not so great for the hands though.

Personally, the Gen 3 doesn't appeal to me as much. Not really sure what it is. Although I've never seen one in person so I don't know first hand. Looks like it would be more comfortable for dueling, though.
Epoch 6W Cyan
Reborn 12W+ Indigo DT

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 8 months 4 weeks ago #22522

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Personally, the Gen 3 doesn't appeal to me as much. Not really sure what it is. Although I've never seen one in person so I don't know first hand. Looks like it would be more comfortable for dueling, though.
It's one of my favorite SF designs because it's very different from most of the sabers out there. I don't like dueling with it but Daniel Lane, SF employee and saber spinning master, mentioned once that it's his 2nd favorite elite saber behind the Gladius. "Different strokes for different folks" etc.
Last Edit: 8 months 4 weeks ago by h2soy.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Saber speaker issue (2 Posts)
    • Normally, the speaker (in the case of a Champion saber) is held in with a "C" ring. The ring can...
    • Heavy Flex v2.0 (8 Posts)
    • TCSS posted on Facebook that they're still working on their own 1" adapter, so that should be an...
    • Heavy Flex v2.0 (8 Posts)
    • Quote: The adaptor and the hilt are both sold out from VV and the 2.0 is no longer in production from...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (229 Posts)
    • Quote: My wait Update: ... Double-booked and over extended. Happens sometimes. I would understand the...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (229 Posts)
    • My wait Update: Contents in order: Belt clip Monarch Champion tier. Crimson sound, Led Purple...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4401
  • Latest Member: w00kiee
  • Total Posts: 44.4k
  • Total Topics: 3203
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 106
  • Today Open: 6
  • Yesterday Open: 10
  • Today Answer: 42
  • Yesterday Answer: 85