Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability"

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22523

• 308BJP
  • Thank you received: 17
h2soy, I really enjoy this topic. Thanks for a well thought out system and your personal notes. It does make one start to ponder all aspects of a hilt, not just the hilts appearance.
The topic has been locked.

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22524

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
It does make one start to ponder all aspects of a hilt, not just the hilts appearance.
Right? I love my Vigilant and Sorcerer Staff for their SW tie ins and overall looks but I'll only ever use them in a costume or as display pieces because, as duelers, they're kinda "meh" when measured against my preferences for a dueler.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by h2soy.

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22525

• 308BJP
  • Thank you received: 17
Yes, I totally get it. It makes sense. I have a few hilts I've been considering and now I'm thinking "will I use this one in choreo for a video project, or will I use it just for displaying, will I use it for "limited" choreo, or can I use this to all out have fun.

I know SF hilts are all built to take it (except crystal reveal), but now I am thinking about a new way to categorize my collection.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by 308BJP.

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22561

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
  • Judge me by my size, do you?
  • Thank you received: 22
1st Gen

By the FORCE! That is one hell of a master piece! I MUST HAVE IT!
And there starts my quest for a V1 Epoch ...

2nd Gen

Looks neater, more noble than the first one. The sleekiness and the cleanliness of the polished metal gives it this look I guess.

3rd Gen

Looks like the most duel able one. And once the activation switch will be located in the gap between the hilt and the emitter, it'll be even more.

Still, my personal preference, design wise, goes to the first one. What a BEAUTY!
Thanks for putting all generations together h2soy!

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22801

• Hellrazoromega
  • Premium Member
  • “Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.”
  • Thank you received: 6
First let me preface by saying I am not a grammar Nazi (I mess my own language up all the time--and I tutor it for Pete's sake). I fully realize many here are not native speakers and English is tough (even to native speakers). I work with students who are non-native speakers all the time. But just as I think it is wrong to belittle people for errors I also think it is wrong not to help those who want to gain a better understanding. I say all this to point out that I am not trying to put anyone down.

Any way I just want to point out that Dual means two or a pair or something. While Duel means a contest between two people with deadly weapons.

Again not trying to be an ass, just trying to help those who may not realize the difference between these homonyms (words which sound the same but have different meanings--of which English has a ton). :lol:

On that note, one of my favorite quotes about my native tongue:

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. --Jame D. Nicoll

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22809

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
Hellrazoromega wrote:
On that note, one of my favorite quotes about my native tongue:

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. --Jame D. Nicoll

Found it back on Reddit, but here goes nothing:
English is weird. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.

So yeah ...

Being French, when I don't know an English word, I use the French word, pronounce it the English way and 85% of the time, it works every time :p

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22811

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Any way I just want to point out that Dual means two or a pair or something. While Duel means a contest between two people with deadly weapons.
You're right, TY, didn't notice my error. Fixed. I got my "duel" ability crossed with my "dual" wielding. Yaaaaaay homonyms.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by h2soy.

Ratings for Hilt "Dual Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22813

• Coot83
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Im from the US so I am a native English speaker, but I think the majority of my speech is slang these days. I have always appreciated how improper English can be and still get the point across. If there is any language in my opinion to butcher and not feel bad about it is English.

Coot

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22814

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
And here I am, learning & speaking English for the past 15 years or so, and I made a point of speaking it as properly as I can ...

I do the same with every language I speak though :)

But hey, what matters in the end is getting the point across :woohoo:

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22816

• Coot83
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Faethien wrote:
And here I am, learning & speaking English for the past 15 years or so, and I made a point of speaking it as properly as I can ...

I do the same with every language I speak though :)

I agree, granted Im a pretty basic person anyway which probably helps that English can be fairly simple compared to other languages to communicate.

Coot

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22848

• PunsofDamage
  • Thank you received: 11
Oh! Nice one H2soy!

I'll get on board as I've been on a quest to try out as many hilts as possible in search of my favorite for dueling!

In Order I've tried them:

Arbiter v1
Balance: 4
Comfort: 5
Versatility: 5
Precision: 5
Power: 3
Grip 1/2 Handed
Blade: 32"/27"

The Arbiter v1 has very easy grips between the smooth lower section and the thinner upper section. That said, the most balance grip is one-handed around the emitter. The hilt itself is balanced more toward the base of it which is why it matches VERY well with a 32" blade. (I haven't tried a 27" but that'd reduce power and put precision to a 6 :P) - Functions well with one or two hands but isn't a power-hilt by any means.

Arbiter v2
Balance: 4.5
Comfort: 4.5
Versatility: 4.5
Precision: 5.5
Power: 3.5
Grip 1/2 Handed
Very similar to the Arbiter v1, the v2 provides a nicer grip section overall at the cost of some gripping-room. The windows at the top unfortunately eliminate the comfort at the most balanced point from the prior version. The weight is a bit more than the previous version which does allow you to generated more power but not much. Overall, it's still as comfortable as the v1 but since the room to hold it is less, I rate it slightly below in comfort and versatility (5 in looks though) Due to the extra weight, it IS a more precise hilt and that's what I appreciate about it. Probably my favorite hilt thus far.

Dissident
Comfort: 4
Versatility: 3
Precision: 4
Power: 4.5
Grip 2 Handed
Blade: 32"/37"
The Dissident is comfortable in the leather section below the emitter. Unfortunately as the emitter bulges out a significant amount, its 2-handing is awkward and unbalanced. It's got a LOT of power for holding it near the base and would be a great dueler for one with larger hands. - You COULD use it in the off-hand but that reduces most of the stats but a fair amount.

Acolyte
Balance: 5
Comfort: 3.5
Versatility: 4
Power: 4
Grip 1/2 Handed
The Acolyte is the most balanced of the Apprentice line-up at least from the hilts I've held of each. It's also weighted well for a 32" blade but works (at the loss of power but extra precision) with a 27" as well. I have a special place for the Arbiter due to its streamlined nature, but this hilt is my favorite in every other way.

Consular
Balance: 3
Precision: 3 or 6
Power: 5 or 3
Grip 1 or 2 handed
I know this is a lot of peoples' favorite hilts but for me, the blade length effects a LOT of how this hilt functions. A 27" blade allows for perhaps the most precise hilt I've used yet- even lending itself to a reverse grip if one should so choose (and you'd better believe I've tried it. There's not a lot of power behind a 27" blade consular but it's won me more duels than I ever thought it would- becoming one of my favorite sabers to have used.
Flip over to a 32" blade and this hilt becomes entirely different: It becomes seriously weighted toward the blade and thus generates a LOT of power (and I mean a LOT). The precision is fine but definitely decreased when using a 32" blade. With a 27", I love this hilt. With the 32" I prefer the Arbiter or Acolyte

Gladius v1
Balance: 5
Power: 4
Grip 1/2 Handed
Blade: Any Length
This might be the only hilt that rivals the Arbiter for my favorite. I love how balanced and well-suited to dueling it IS (comfort and versatility, yo!) Again, the blade length effects the hilt but not near as significantly as the Consular. You can hold it comfortably below the emitter with one-hand or on both the leather and the smooth aluminum for two-hands.
"In a world world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big."
Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by PunsofDamage.

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22851

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
I'll get on board as I've been on a quest to try out as many hilts as possible in search of my favorite for dueling!
Cool, thank you for your contribution!

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 2 years 3 weeks ago #22855

• Hellrazoromega
  • Premium Member
  • “Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.”
  • Thank you received: 6
Faethien wrote:
That I fully agree with, the point of any language is to communicate, so if your listener understands then, mission accomplished. That is not to say we can't strive to do better, myself included. :lol:

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 2 years 2 weeks ago #22899

• greyjediDude
  • Platinum Member
  • Fear is not real. It is the product of thoughts you create. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice.
  • Thank you received: 72
This chart was a great idea! I actually think they should add these stats next to the saber's descriptions on the main site and etsy. Its definitely helpful. Wanna know something interesting? I grew playing up playing with those huge bulky lightsabers you could get a toys r us for 12 buck, lots of fun, my bro and I called them our "training sabers". If you want to feel something REALLY uncomfortable, try dueling with a bulky graflex inspired plastic toy! Those things were killer! As a kid I got used to those, so when I got older I could make ANY saber into a dueler. It all depends on how you position your hands on specific points of the saber. Anyone remember having saber fights in the garage pretending to cut off each other's limbs with those toys? Ah memories
Light and darkness, you cannot have one without the other. To achieve equilibriem you must be in harmony with both; the path between.

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 2 years 2 weeks ago #22902

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
I actually think they should add these stats next to the saber's descriptions on the main site and etsy.
Nah, this is way too subjective; everyone's experiences are different.

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 2 years 2 weeks ago #22920

• Sith Happens
  • Thank you received: 5
Does anyone have experience dueling with a Resilient? I'm looking at purchasing one in the future and was wondering how it would rate in anyone's opinion? When I was in the show room one time I held one with a blade in it and it felt very comfortable.
"Now you fall, as all Jedi must."

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 2 years 2 weeks ago #22922

• Afadir
  • Elite Member
  • There can be no light, without a dark to stand beside it.
  • Thank you received: 67
greyjediDude wrote:
This chart was a great idea! I actually think they should add these stats next to the saber's descriptions on the main site and etsy. Its definitely helpful. Wanna know something interesting? I grew playing up playing with those huge bulky lightsabers you could get a toys r us for 12 buck, lots of fun, my bro and I called them our "training sabers". If you want to feel something REALLY uncomfortable, try dueling with a bulky graflex inspired plastic toy! Those things were killer! As a kid I got used to those, so when I got older I could make ANY saber into a dueler. It all depends on how you position your hands on specific points of the saber. Anyone remember having saber fights in the garage pretending to cut off each other's limbs with those toys? Ah memories

Back when the Special Editions came out, around 97-98, I was a freaking beast with the electronic Luke saber. Me and a couple of friends used to spend every Friday night saber fighting.

Makes me wonder if I should pick up a Prodigal Son someday and see if some of the magic comes back.
Owned: Champion Bane 12W Bl. Org.
Champion Fury 6W Green
Warrior Chosen 12W+ Mint Green
Champion Jinsu Razor v2 (ASP build) 12W+ Red*
Last Edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Afadir.

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 1 year 11 months ago #25856

• CulinaryJedi
  • "I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing."
  • Thank you received: 8
Thought I'd post my thoughts on the Reborn here, although I did post a review in the appropriate section as well B) .

Comfort: 3/4
Versatility: 3
Precision: 3
Power: 3
Grip: Mainly 1 handed
Blade Length: 26”/32"
Notes: While certainly a lot more comfortable than it looks, this saber is definitely not the most comfortable saber for spins or dueling. The lower grip section is relatively comfortable to hold. No sharp edges, nothing that makes it feel large or unwieldy. However the upper grip section, while not totally uncomfortable, is a little awkward to hold. I have large hands (I'm 6'4" tall), so it's not difficult for me to find a relatively comfortable position. However someone with smaller hands would find it difficult to get a good, comfortable grip. Again, no sharp edges, nothing that makes me want to wear gloves or anything. Just awkward.

The 32" blade I ordered feels very balanced for a more tradition 2-handed dueling style, but the 26" blade would definitely feel better in a single-handed Makashi or Jar'kai style. While I haven't done any dueling with the saber yet, I feel like it would be average in both power and precision due to the relative awkwardness of the saber design. Still, I know I'd be able to wield the saber effectively once I found the right style for the hilt.

Aesthetically, this saber is GORGEOUS! Elegant, yet aggressive. Paired with the 12W+ Indigo LED, this saber has garnered more attention than any of my other sabers! In person, the LED is a little more blue at the bottom, and a little more red at the top. I know the scientific reason why this happens, and it doesn't bother me, but I just thought I'd mention it. You can see how amazing it looks in pictures though! It's a very deep purple that can either be used by a Jedi or Sith.

I can't quite put it into words (and the images really don't do the hilt justice) but take my word for it: this saber ROCKS! Revan would be proud to wield this blade. Thanks to SaberForge for making such an amazing product!
Fallen 12W Purple/12W+ Red
Epoch 6W Cyan
Reborn 12W+ Indigo DT
Next Order: Parks/Korbanth Graflex 2.0

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 1 year 9 months ago #38905

• Jocasto Ny
Great topic !
What about the Sinister Prophecy. Has anyone tested it for dueling?
Its look is amazing, but I plan to buy my first saber for fighting in a ludosport-like academy, and don't know if it would suit for that?
thanks

Ratings for Hilt "Duel Ability" 1 year 9 months ago #39227

• Jocasto Ny
Nobody has tested it?
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Ceremonial Kota | Disside... (9 Posts)
    • [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] ...[image] [attachment]
    • Ceremonial Kota | Disside... (9 Posts)
    • [attachment] [attachment] Seeing colours with eyes wide shut.. [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] ...
    • Hilts and asp (16 Posts)
    • Quote: I love the exalted, maybe I'll just get that. Be inspired. :P :whistle: [attachment] [attachment] ...
    • Aeon Dimensions (1 Posts)
    • Hi there, i was just wondering if anyone here can measure the Aeon sabers dimensions? Diameters,...
    • Boulder/Denver CO? (2 Posts)
    • Hey Major_Tom I live in the Denver area :)

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6038
  • Latest Member: Darth Caedes
  • Total Posts: 62k
  • Total Topics: 5172
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 6
  • Yesterday Answer: 31