Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 weeks ago #40832

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 402
Since the release of TFA, many DIY'ers have made attempts to replicate the effect. I believe I have just stumbled upon something intriguing. Tested many options and have come up with this to share with the WORLD. An in expensive & unique effect that replicates FOC! This may already be a thing, however here's what I've come up with.

What you see may be familiar to some.3 types of glitter. Yes I know what your thinking. After much trial and error, I've determined that these 3 types give the best effect. Recipe is as follows; Prizm sequins, 1/4" Gold glitter, and 1/4" Translucent pearlized glitter. About 8 to 10 pieces each down your blade. Sequins and gold flake work well to reflect solid /single color LEDS. The pearlized glitter does wonders to mixed LED's. My 12w+ Cyan flashes green when impacted or clashed. Effect resembles fireflies dancing in your blade. No more than 30 pieces does the trick. The pearlized glitter had to be picked thru to remove CLEAR flakes and small trash cuts. Unfortunately I've not been able to capture the effect on camera. As we all know these blades over expose or wash out,and my camera isn't good enough to capture this FAN-DAZZLED effect. Like Bigfoot it's eluded me to get a picture. Go to Michaels or your local craft store and try it out.

Trust me you must!
Thank me later, YOU WILL...........
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by =Ottomatix=.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 weeks ago #40837

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 168
Do you have an example?

Oracle, Fury, Avenger, Bane, Katana

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 weeks ago #40846

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 870
Sounds creative, a stardust effect with lingering residual shimmer. From what I imagine, it'd be more effective resembling both FoC & blaster deflection liking to the energy beam absorbing and dispersing along the blade.
How is the glitter placed inside the tube to prevent clumping together? Or is the swinging motion enough to shake them around like a snow globe. Would the same concept work if the glitter was threaded onto say a piece of fishing line (like a discount string blade) and how difficult is it to remove trapped pieces caught-up on the lens?
Apologies for the Q's, the idea is intriguing and creates a good alternative.

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 weeks ago #40849

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"

Sorry Eddlyss64 i'm unable to capture a photo of the effect, but it's Amazing!
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by =Ottomatix=.

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 weeks ago #40851

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
Yes like a snowglobe, sort of. I stared using beads strung like a necklace, it didn't work well.
they bunched up and sometimes blocked all the light. I haven't had any issues with them getting into the works ,so to speak. I'm only using larger glitter 1/4" in size, and it stays in the blade. about 30 pieces works the best. More than that ball up and sometimes block the light from the LED. The impact effect is crazy cool. you've got to try it. Remember large pieces and pick out the smaller trash.

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 weeks ago #40861

• OvrcAHst
Thanks for the tips =Ottomatix=. Keen to have a play. Loving your Profile pics too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=, CallMeMistaJ

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 weeks ago #41072

• CallMeMistaJ
  • Premium Member
  • "So... Malak was the original meatbag? I like that idea." ―Revan, to HK-47, after recovering his memory
  • Thank you received: 49
OvrcAHst wrote:
Thanks for the tips =Ottomatix=. Keen to have a play. Loving your Profile pics too.

Who doesn't?
Own
-Champ 12+ watt Phoenix

Want
-Monarch
-Sinister Prophecy
-Oracle

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 1 week ago #41681

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
233 views, anyone?

Oh well...

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 days ago #43645

• OvrcAHst
I've got a rather embarrassing (and quite laughable) predicament I would like to troubleshoot.

So I had a play, (picked up some mixed bags from the local Sewing/Arts & Crafts store, sorted out the 'fillers' had them grouped in my palm and slowly funneled them into the blade-much like refilling the pepper mill) but I've got a few that are actually stuck on the film inside the blade. Don't know if it resulted from moisture from my palm or moisture in the air but they ain't moving so that when I ignite the blade now it looks like there's little freckles at certain spots. Whacking the blade against something or wildly swinging it achieve nothing but loss of breath.

I read with interest on another thread about cleaning blades from dust and what-not, but these little bastards are stubborn. Dust ain't the problem here. I compare it to like having a fish scale or a corn husk from popcorn stuck in your teeth. Did try using an air-gun with an attempt to dislodge them but to no success. (the glitter not my teeth :P ) Not feeling particularly confident with feeding anything down the blade at risk of damaging the film either.
Any suggestions? :dry: :blush:

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 days ago #43676

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
Well that blows. I've never had any do that, they alway all fall right out. I guess you could coil up some pipe cleaners and wipe them out.
What size flakes did you get, I was specific about the size of the flake. What did you think of the effect?

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 days ago #43727

• OvrcAHst
Blows indeed but not the end of the world. Until the freckles are dislodged have simply designated that particular blade as my go-to glitter blade. I was specific to the size and followed your recipe without deviating from. The woman when I purchased even responded with a surprised 'that's very specific' reaction.

I actually like the effect that's delivered. Very effective, thanks for the share.

I didn't have the patience to string them up (just for curiosity) so dismissed that exercise completely. I'll try the pipe cleaner idea if what's being tried now yields no success. I am convinced it results from moisture adhesion so since last night have left the blade outside (shaded) remaining hopeful that the days warmth will dry the blade and the freckle will just fall out on next try.
Thank you.

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 days ago #43730

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
I do hope you can get that bugger out of there. I would hate for a blade to be sacrificed to Priscilla Queen of the desert.

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 days ago #43732

• OvrcAHst
:lol: Like I said, it's not the end of the world. And when you think about it, it's just one blade. Over the grand scheme of things, even if one blade has a permanent 'spirit-spot(s)', hardly justifies as being a deterrent. Even with 4 blades now it seems like too many and I haven't taken completed deliveries of all sabers yet.
Like your 'Priscilla' mention there ;) , just means I may have to incorporate a pose strike, pause and 'spirit-fingers' with exaggerated flamboyancy with feminine gestures into the next dance.

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 days ago #43735

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
  • Some sentients aren't after anything logical. Some sentients just want to watch the galaxy burn.
  • Thank you received: 90
I don't know if this would damage the film or not, but have you considered using a can of "air" of the sort used to blow out keyboards and PC interiors?
I am chaos in order's guise.

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 days ago #43737

• OvrcAHst
I did think of that, but ordinarily with PCs it's within a close distance. My first attempt was using a compressor generated air gun with a 10" nozzle (for deeper reach) but to no success. It's on a 37" blade and the freckle is conveniently towards the sealed end. Would rather not attempt a forced removal of the tip just to get to it, so for now I own a blade with a slight skin condition. :P

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 2 days ago #43739

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
  • Some sentients aren't after anything logical. Some sentients just want to watch the galaxy burn.
  • Thank you received: 90
Adolescent saberacne eh? I guess you'll have to hope someone invents saber Clearasil.

:P
I am chaos in order's guise.

Unstable blade/ FOC .....=Otto 4 months 3 hours ago #43991

• OvrcAHst
Contrary to the slogan "Slip-Slop-Slap" when out in the sun to prevent sun spots and other nasties, I can confirm that the minor predicament I experienced has now resolved to a freckle-free blade. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4326
  • Latest Member: Ren1577
  • Total Posts: 43.3k
  • Total Topics: 3180
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104