Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another Graflex 2.0...

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 6 days ago #43519

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 296
I just finished a Nano Biscotti v3 install on my Korbanth Graflex 2.0 (in TFA setup). I made a few albums on Imgur so decently sized pictures could be used.

For a look at just the finished product, click here

For a more detailed (and much longer) build album, click here

I learned a lot, and am looking forward to the next build!
Own: 2005 MR ESB Vader, Korbanth Graflex 2.0 (self-install)
Waiting On: ASP "Interceptor"
Want: Vanquish
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonrice, Borommakot, MusicallyInspired, OvrcAHst, RyanRising, DK44

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 6 days ago #43559

• Neesh Kedoo
  • Thank you received: 8
Looks great :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 6 days ago #43563

• schmots
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Is it an actual modified light flash or is it replica parts? Either way it looks really good.

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 6 days ago #43564

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 345
Fantastic work, Jaden. The more see of these the more I want to try it. You do a good job showing what a challenge it can really be.

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43568

• DK44
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Wow great job on that saber Jaden!

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43570

• MusicallyInspired
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
Love it! Gotta get me a Graflex after I get my Prodigal Son. Love that blue!

(next to almighty green, of course. Emerald Knights Forever!)

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43575

• OvrcAHst
  • Grey - it is OvrcAHst.
  • Thank you received: 711
So much skill, so much talent. Loved the complete documentary process with your step-by-step play and even with your troubleshoot when pear-shaping happened to how it was overcome and resolved.
Great work Jaden Korr.

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43587

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Great work. After seeing this and the other DIY thread we discussed, you make me want to try it later this year! Maybe a summer project? Nice pics
- Light em up

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43589

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 110

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43592

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 135
Superb! Oh man why doesn't SF have a Graflex or two yet....?! :silly:
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 3 months 5 days ago by Execute66.

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43596

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Isn't that supposed to be coming later this year? Legacy 1 (ANH) and 2 (ESB)? I sure hope so.
- Light em up

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43618

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
Aww shucks guys...

Still kind of wishing I took more pictures of the soldering process. What you didn't see was me having to redo the recharge port not once, but twice because I forgot to put the heat shrink on first (the first time was for the positive leg, the other time was because I thought the larger clear piece was big enough to go over the port, which it wasn't). Also the longer lengths of wire I needed to be able to pull the chassis out the back don't curl up very well, so that's something I'll have to work on when I go to see if I can get the spacer to stop rattling.

I think tomorrow I'll edit the SD card a bit and charge the saber to see if the blues get any brighter (though since my "charger" doesn't have an indicator light, I'll email Solo's Hold to see how long they recommend to charge it).

Another important thing I forgot to put in the album: WEAR EYE PROTECTION! I wore my glasses so I hadn't thought about it, but at one point I did have a hot fleck of solder hit me in the face (not sure how in the hell it became airborne, but it did).

And think one of SF's Graflex sabers is already in the ASP builder, so it should be available when ASP goes live. And now that I think about it, they're probably going to house the switches in the activation box, and the top half will be one piece instead of two separate ones, which will make accessing the LED far easier than with this kit. Because with this set up if I wanted to replace the tri cree with one of SF's quad crees (now that I've heard the NBv3 can handle one without any mods) or even just access the LED to swap out the resistor on the blue dies I'd have to essentially take the whole saber apart and unsolder several connections.

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43627

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 110
Thinking of doing JST connections on my LED for that very reason ;) If I have to go that far disassembled, might as well make something easy lol

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43632

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
BoostinIX wrote:
Thinking of doing JST connections on my LED for that very reason ;) If I have to go that far disassembled, might as well make something easy lol

The issue has more to do with just getting the LED out to begin with. In order to slide the unit out, you have to loosen the retention screw, and in order to do that you have to take the off the top part that goes over the blade holder to access it, and in order to do that you have to unsolder the switch.

The way around this would be to use the glass eye/ESB button for the LED retention screw and then install a larger screw into the spot a smaller one goes above it for the blade (which a lot of people have been doing so the glass eye/ESB button sits flush with a blade in), or house the switch in the clamp.

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43634

• OvrcAHst
  • Grey - it is OvrcAHst.
@Jaden Korr

It's all good mate, it's not uncommon for material to be omitted from the public release. Like you said, if you wanted to there's always the Director's Cut that features additional deleted scenes ;)
Whilst eye protection is important, it's not an official How-To Instructional, it's a JK How-To, so if regular glasses works-done. Besides, even with the active speck that jumped at you, with your fast healing powers like the skate blade and screwdriver incident, you be fine before you know it Wolverine :lol:

I made a comment of praise to DIY-ers to a Thread Andi-Jae EL Posted about a Shameem video. Those words and sentiment are definitely echoed and very much applicable to you here too. Soon, you may be doing this for other owners too? :P

Respect and admiration to you.

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43718

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
I added this close up of the chassis to the build album (I realized that I didn't have one yet):

So far I've lowered the volume from the max setting of 4 to 2, shortened the FoC duration from 200 units to 100 (i think the manual said it was measured in increments of 2 ms), and replaced the light meat font with Lord Blako's Achluophobia (its a nice "damaged" saber font, and I adjusted the blade flicker to match). Here's a a preview of the font:

The custom one I made isn't working so far, but I think I may just have to check that I properly converted the files to the WAV format.

Ive also discovered that I need to be careful when getting the chassis out, because the quick shakes I was using to get it loose before was also wiggling the battery out of position and I had to reinsert it.

OvrcAHst wrote:
Soon, you may be doing this for other owners too?
I DEFINITELY don't trust myself yet to work on something somebody else has spent their hard earned money on, let alone something that contains a kind of battery known to be extremely volatile. Maybe far, far down the line when I've done a lot more of these.

EDIT: After charging the saber for a little over an hour the blue dies are MUCH brighter, and the blade is slightly more even, though unless I add some diffusion wrap or remove the reflective disk off of the tip it will always be a bit uneven.
Last Edit: 3 months 5 days ago by Jaden Korr.

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 5 days ago #43731

• OvrcAHst
  • Grey - it is OvrcAHst.
I've been playing with an online converter that exchanges formats like YT to .mp3 then to .mp3 to .wav, haven't actually got a micro SD to trial it yet but fingers crossed when it comes and remaining hopeful. Am loving the LordBlako Fonts, and have a bank of shortlists waiting for trigger to be pulled. 'Achluophobia' wasn't one of them for me but am liking the 'Ghost of Grey' and the two 'Dual Core Fonts'.

Hey, just a query on your chassis. Have seen videos where a thin plastic sleeve is slid over it to protect the internals and keep them contained. What are your thoughts on this?

Another Graflex 2.0... 3 months 4 days ago #43738

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
Hey, just a query on your chassis. Have seen videos where a thin plastic sleeve is slid over it to protect the internals and keep them contained. What are your thoughts on this?

That is a great way to help shield the sound card and wires from debris or touching the metal part of the hilt. In the future when this speaker blows (apparently the TCSS Premium speakers have a shorter life span than others), I'll replace it with a 2w bass one and the thinner v4 holder, which would leave enough room for adding that in this hilt.

Another Graflex 2.0... 2 months 2 weeks ago #47868

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
BLADE PLUG UPDATE
Updated the albums, but put the highlights here if you don't want to go through them again.

Purchased from dawnchaser_sabers on eBay. Has a similar look to the normal Graflex style plugs (like what KR sabers sells) but has a "heavy duty" feel to it.

Unfortunately, not only was it 1/4" longer than the listing, the seller offers to cut his plugs down if asked (which I did), but he didn't. Since the pipe cutter I got to make my chassis spacers only went up to 5/8", I had to use a handsaw. On a positive note, now I have extra blade material to make another one later.

In the hilt

Illuminated
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Jaden Korr. Reason: fell to feel
The following user(s) said Thank You: BoostinIX

Another Graflex 2.0... 2 months 2 weeks ago #47888

• OvrcAHst
  • Grey - it is OvrcAHst.
Jaden Korr, on that blade plug recently got, nice score! I'm liking very much the rustic nature of it resembling cogs and gears like the mechanics to a watch with face removed. Regardless of Hilt finishing in weathered or polished, a notable addition. When lit, I think IronMan Gen 1.0. ;)
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• [email protected] Sh... (93 Posts)
    • Funny you put that so I got a reply of saver forge and they areally adiment that the design hasn't...
    • Wait Begins! 3.0 (1692 Posts)
    • Trigger pulled again. Monarch Champion 12W+ Red. First "sith" saber. First weathered saber. First...
    • Electrum detailing on hil... (3 Posts)
    • Thanks, this is a pretty interesting idea to me should I eventually get a saber customised, and I...
    • Wiring in Parallel (5 Posts)
    • Simplified version - In Parallel, you add LED Current. In Series, you add LED Voltage. On top of...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4234
  • Latest Member: cpted
  • Total Posts: 42.9k
  • Total Topics: 3122
  • Total Sections: 20
  • Total Categories: 101
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 75
  • Yesterday Answer: 132