Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another Graflex 2.0...

Another Graflex 2.0... 2 months 2 weeks ago #47905

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
  • Thank you received: 122
I ordered one of these from Vader's Vault. They come in assembled and loaded with VV's electronics. I took the ESB version, and I CAN'T WAITTTT to get it :)! I'm so jealous of all these people showing off their Graflex 2.0. You lucky bastards hehe!
"Honor is a fool's price. Honor is of no use to the dead."

- Custom SaberForge Monarch
- Vader's Vault REV-N Elite + Graflex
- Korbanth Kylo Ren
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Another Graflex 2.0... 2 months 2 weeks ago #47908

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 280
Huh, surprised you wanted the chassis to pull out through the back. Nothing wrong with that - I'm just so used to seeing a Graflex split in the middle for crystal reveals and such.

One thing I noticed is your resistors are a bit strong for the LEDs attached to them. Again, nothing wrong, and you're probably getting GREAT runtime right now - but all your LEDs are running at about half power once the battery reaches nominal voltage.

If you ever feel like opening your saber and bumping up the brightness while staying within rated values, white'll be at 1000mA with a 0.5 ohm resistor. The blues will probably also get a bit brighter being individually resisted, rather than sharing the same resistor. Really though, the blues need such a small resistor, you might want to consider going without resistors and just dropping Drive to ~940 to compensate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr

Another Graflex 2.0... 2 months 2 weeks ago #47917

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 294
OvrcAHst wrote:
Jaden Korr, on that blade plug recently got, nice score! I'm liking very much the rustic nature of it resembling cogs and gears like the mechanics to a watch with face removed. Regardless of Hilt finishing in weathered or polished, a notable addition. When lit, I think IronMan Gen 1.0. ;)

That was my thinking too. I wanted something that had a mechanical feel.
Darth-Revan wrote:
I ordered one of these from Vader's Vault. They come in assembled and loaded with VV's electronics. I took the ESB version, and I CAN'T WAITTTT to get it :)! I'm so jealous of all these people showing off their Graflex 2.0. You lucky bastards hehe!

You won't be disappointed! After adding in the cost of tools I had to get and the shipping costs from ordering my parts from multiple sources, I ended up spending about what it would've been to get it pre assembled (if not more). Though building it myself makes it more special. :)
Own: 2005 MR ESB Vader, Korbanth Graflex 2.0 (self-install)
Waiting On: ASP "Interceptor"
Want: Vanquish

Another Graflex 2.0... 2 months 2 weeks ago #47925

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
Kouri wrote:
Huh, surprised you wanted the chassis to pull out through the back. Nothing wrong with that - I'm just so used to seeing a Graflex split in the middle for crystal reveals and such.

I had originally planned on opening it from the middle, but with damage to the blade holder's threads I didn't want to be unscrewing that section too much. And even after sanding down the speaker holder down to the limit I felt comfortable, it is still tight enough that it ends up turning with the grip section.
One thing I noticed is your resistors are a bit strong for the LEDs attached to them. Again, nothing wrong, and you're probably getting GREAT runtime right now - but all your LEDs are running at about half power once the battery reaches nominal voltage.

If you ever feel like opening your saber and bumping up the brightness while staying within rated values, white'll be at 1000mA with a 0.5 ohm resistor. The blues will probably also get a bit brighter being individually resisted, rather than sharing the same resistor. Really though, the blues need such a small resistor, you might want to consider going without resistors and just dropping Drive to ~940 to compensate.

Yeah I basically just followed Madcow's FoC video to a T when I was doing the LED for the blues, and someone on the TCSS forum had suggested that one for the white. I figured better to overdo it then blow it because I didn't know what I was doing. Eventually I plan on replacing the speaker with a better one, and was already thinking of switching out the resistors at the same time.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Jaden Korr.

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 3 weeks ago #50588

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Are the Graflex 2.0 kits on TCSS and the Parksabers site the same? Other than the $5 difference, are they essentially the same thing? Thanks.
- Light em up

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 3 weeks ago #50589

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 280
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
Are the Graflex 2.0 kits on TCSS and the Parksabers site the same? Other than the $5 difference, are they essentially the same thing? Thanks.

As far as I'm aware, Korbanth is the designer, Parks the manufacturer (through a 3rd-party chinese facility), and TCSS a reseller. Doesn't make much difference where you get it from, aside from a few dollars and expected delivery time.

Korbanth's also working on some revised Vader (both ANH/ESB MPP and RotJ Graflex) and Obi-Wan (Ep 1/2 and 4) hilts that I expect will show up on Parks this summer. TCSS has already mentioned on Facebook that they'll be offering the new designs as they become available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi-Jae EL

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 3 weeks ago #50595

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 110
His Obi-Wan 1/2 is reeeeeally tempting.... said last week he's expecting them to ship in Sept. I'm incredibly torn between that and the Saberforge Avenger. If Sabercore 3.0 drops, it's a done deal :P

I'm gonna be looking at your pics a LOT more once my kit arrives.

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 3 weeks ago #50653

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
Andi-Jae EL wrote:

Parroting Kouri here, but yes, they are the same. In fact, the run Korbanth did before mine was accidently shipped to Parks instead of him and it ended up being cheaper to fly himself to Parks' facility to add labels and ship them out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kouri

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52418

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
Slightly minor update: Just purchased Shameem's TFA Graflex HD font, which is made using sounds ripped right from the episode VII, making it the best choice for TFA Graflex sabers (like mine). He has submitted it, as well as all the rest of his custom fonts, to saberfont.com and had it approved, and they will be added when they finish with a site overhaul. In the mean time he has info on his Facebook page about how to purchase them from him via paypal.

Here's his preview video for the font:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jedi case, BoostinIX

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52435

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 110
I'm getting that one and Fulcrum :)

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52442

• jedi case
  • Thank you received: 1
Jaden Korr wrote:
Slightly minor update: Just purchased Shameem's TFA Graflex HD font, which is made using sounds ripped right from the episode VII, making it the best choice for TFA Graflex sabers (like mine). He has submitted it, as well as all the rest of his custom fonts, to saberfont.com and had it approved, and they will be added when they finish with a site overhaul. In the mean time he has info on his Facebook page about how to purchase them from him via paypal.

Here's his preview video for the font:

Is it possible to ad this sound to a saber forge saber? I ordered a Graflex during IndieGogo and my 3 boys would flip out if I had the font from the movie!
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by jedi case.

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52448

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 167
jedi case wrote:
Is it possible to ad this sound to a saber forge saber? I ordered a Graflex during IndieGogo and my 3 boys would flip out if I had the font from the movie!

Not from a Sabercore soundboard. The boards SF uses for their Champion tier sabers can only utilize either the Crimson or Viridian soundfonts. The only way you could add a custom soundfont to a saber would be to add a customizable soundboard like the Nano Biscotte V3 or a Spark 2, for example, and add the soundfont via the board's included SD card. However, you'd still have to gut your saber if you ordered a Warrior tier in order to replace the switch used.

To make a long story short, yes, but it'd take some soldering skill and some specially purchased parts.

Oracle, Fury, Avenger, Bane, Katana

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52454

• jedi case
I ordered mine with sound because The TFA didn't exist at the time. Having said that, I will do what it takes to ad this sound font to my Graflex. I can put the sabercore into another saber.

I am overwhelmed by all the different soundboards available! Looking through all the boards on plecterlabs is confusing lol.

I can modify the saber by myself, I just need to know which soundboard to go with my ASP that's setup for the sabercore and the easiest and most direct route.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by jedi case.

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52457

• jedi case
I saw Shameem used the Nano with 8 slots available but the TFA font has 30 available slots...crazy.

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52459

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
jedi case wrote:
I ordered mine with sound because The TFA didn't exist at the time. Having said that, I will do what it takes to ad this sound font to my Graflex. I can put the sabercore into another saber.

I am overwhelmed by all the different soundboards available! Looking through all the boards on plecterlabs is confusing lol.

I can modify the saber by myself, I just need to know which soundboard to go with my ASP that's setup for the sabercore and the easiest and most direct route.

SF is also working on the Sabercore 3.0 board that will have swappable soundfonts.

If you chose to go with the Nano Biscotti V3 from Plecter Labs (very popular as an entry level soundboard), it won't be able to power SF's 12w LED at full brightness (the main LED channel has a 2A limit). Another entry level option would be the Spark 2 from NEC (the company that makes the Spark Color 2 board used in SF's Hero tier sabers), and for $20 more than the NBv3 you'd also get an auxiliary sound (like on the Sabercore) and blade lockup effects.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Jaden Korr.

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52461

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 167
Jaden Korr wrote:
jedi case wrote:

SF is also working on the Sabercore 3.0 board that will have swappable soundfonts.

If you chose to go with the Nano Biscotti V3 from Plecter Labs (very popular as an entry level soundboard), it won't be able to power SF's 12w LED at full brightness (the main LED channel has a 2A limit). Another entry level option would be the Spark 2 from NEC (the company that makes the Spark Color 2 board used in SF's Hero tier sabers), and for $20 more than the NBv3 you'd also get an auxiliary sound (like on the Sabercore) and blade lockup effects.

Seems like the Spark 2 would be the best bang for my buck. I want to see the full power of 12w+ with my future soundfont-customized sabers.

Oracle, Fury, Avenger, Bane, Katana

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52462

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
jedi case wrote:
I saw Shameem used the Nano with 8 slots available but the TFA font has 30 available slots...crazy.

The higher end boards (like the Crystal Focus from Plecter) have a ton of sound slots. The Crystal Focus has something like 16 swing sounds, 16 clash sounds, stab sounds, multiple ignition and retraction sounds (depending on the angle you are holding the saber), "Force" sounds (sounds that activate by pressing the button and then swinging, clashing, or stabbing the saber), and combo or "Easter egg" sounds, which are sounds that play after a set series of motions have been performed. For instance, a combo sound on Madcow's Darth Maul font is Obi-Wan screaming "No!" after Qui-Gonn is stabbed.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Jaden Korr. Reason: Word repetition

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52463

• jedi case
Wow..thanks guys! This is whole new territory for me! I definitely want to keep the full power of the 12W+ LED. So that will narrow down my selection. Spark 2 and Crystal can do this!?

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52464

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
Eddlyss64 wrote:
Seems like the Spark 2 would be the best bang for my buck. I want to see the full power of 12w+ with my future soundfont-customized sabers.

NEC boards are also currently the only ones that can do a staggered ignition cross guard effect (thanks to a software update a few months back). One thing I've seen with NEC boards after looking at the manuals is that they are a bit more complicated to wire than ones from Plecter Labs, but are a little more user friendly when it comes to changing the settings/soundfonts.

I'll be swapping out my ASP's soundboard eventually, but I'm waiting for the Sabercore 3.0's specs before I decide whether to go with it or the Spark 2.

Another Graflex 2.0... 1 month 2 weeks ago #52467

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
jedi case wrote:
Wow..thanks guys! This is whole new territory for me! I definitely want to keep the full power of the 12W+ LED. So that will narrow down my selection. Spark 2 and Crystal can do this!?

The Crystal Focus, besides being expensive and very difficult to wire, is also very hard to obtain as vey few are produced every year (they are all made by hand).

The best thing to do is read all the manuals for the boards you are considering (they are available on their respective companies' websites).
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Jaden Korr.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Any one know if Saberforg... (16 Posts)
    • Nice, that's not all that bad to be honest. Your saber can finally join the others with their 12Ws...
    • Wiring in Parallel (1 Posts)
    • So part way through his NBv3 wiring tutorial, Shameem wires up the three up LED, I think in...
    • Ballista (2 Posts)
    • Fantastic read, Falnore :) Really good balance of action and plot, with subtle exposition of the...
    • Trials of Transformation (75 Posts)
    • Part IV ~~Three Years Later~~ A battered HWK-290, once yellow, but now faded almost to tan, emerged...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4233
  • Latest Member: FrooZenZ
  • Total Posts: 42.8k
  • Total Topics: 3120
  • Total Sections: 20
  • Total Categories: 101
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 61
  • Yesterday Answer: 132