Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: to prevent activation box card sliding loosely

to prevent activation box card sliding loosely 1 year 9 months ago #47276

• harvey415
  • Thank you received: 12
Those of you that have issues like myself with your activation box card sliding too loosely. Specifically I had this issues on my prodigal son and thanks to bro2044 for his advise i have refine it to make it more permanent

1. The things you will need is a long sewing needle. Tooth pick might work if you don't have a needle. Also, you will need either friction tape or just electrical tape.

2. The hardest part is to remove the card without damaging it. Cause underneath the card there is two plastic that is glue on. To remove the card slide the card up and push down on the card to lift it a little. Then stick the needle underneath pass the plastic to press the activation switch down. Then slowly slide the card out. Don't force it out if you feel there is resistance. It means you didn't press the activation button down enough.

3. With the card out cut two pieces of friction tape or electrical tape and make it so it about the same size between the two securing plastic parts. Place one on top of another. I found two piece of tape to be the perfect amount to keep it from sliding easily and still be able to slide it up effortlessly when getting to the kill key or charging.

4. to put it back. Make sure the part with the plastic is facing down if your looking from the top of the saber. You will want to start by sliding it from the top. When you feel there is resistance that when you know the plastic has touched the activation button. Press down on the back of the card lightly to lift it up slightly then with the needle press the activation button down until you can side the card back without force. You will now have a card that does not slide up by itself when swinging.

Use the pictures as references.

Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by OvrcAHst. Reason: insert images
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot, Renaissance1459, LSkywalker3

to prevent activation box card sliding loosely 1 year 9 months ago #47287

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1794
drgolds, made a suggestion that yielded favourable results as an alternative to the 'tape' method.
@SithLordLim, maybe if you just use hot glue from a glue gun on both edge sides of the card, it would prevent unwanted slippage. Glue from a glue gun is kind of rubbery when it cools so besides widening the card a little it would also provide gripping properties and should be a pretty permanent solution. You can just keep adding more until it's a good fit and if you put on too much, it's easy to just melt the excess off with the hot tip of the glue gun.
SithLordLim reported back updating great success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LSkywalker3

to prevent activation box card sliding loosely 1 year 9 months ago #47293

• nUcLeArEnVoY
  • Thank you received: 23
Great suggestion. I have a PS on order and I'll be hitting 10 weeks tomorrow, so it should be on the build queue pretty soon.

Think you can do me a favor and take a good look at the black greeble on the side of the control box and let me know if it looks like its placed inside of an indention that is carved into the control box, or is it just mounted flat? Because I want to pull off the greeble on mine and move it to the upper end of the control box right under the copper side railing where it's supposed to be in accordance with the actual prop.

to prevent activation box card sliding loosely 1 year 9 months ago #47297

• harvey415
True it might work with a glue gun but knowing that two tape is a perfect cure instead of estimating how much glue to use wouldn't it be a easier task? B) Also, with the tape between the two plastic contact. It will not be visible at all compare to if you slap some hot glue on edge of the outside plastic which can probably cause it to stick too much if not the correct amount. The hot glue probably might fall off too eventually if it slide back and fourth while the tape would stay in place as it is under pressure from the activation button.

Plus, the surface area that is sliding on the card is on the activation button. So you would want to have more friction on that part in order for it to slide smoothly still and hold in place when needed.

Now if you take off the card and use a thin layer of hot glue evenly between the two plastic it should work just as well in place of the tape.

If you want to make it more professional and slide more effortlessly and secure at the same time. You can probably use the smooth side of a velcro. Haven't tried it but if you need more surface area put one tape then the velcro on top of the tape.
Just my .02

Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by OvrcAHst.

to prevent activation box card sliding loosely 1 year 9 months ago #47301

• OvrcAHst
harvey415
I don't disagree with you. :) Both methods of application appear to have their merits and demonstrated successes. You may note that in the other Thread I linked referenced to, I also mentioned Bro2044's method. Sure, there are likely many other alternatives that have been tried and tested, but prior to, that was the one known. Andi Jae-EL even brought forth an alternate method that he found using button magnets.

With glue amount versus tape size, both can be debatable for superiority. On one perspective it may appear trial and error to the exact amount of glue to use and on the other, how precise or allowance needs to be made with trimming the tape. As for the cure, both still rely on adhesion and over time with continued use, the 'hold' may weaken and require a re-application anyway.

Ultimately though, how noticeably loose the card is or isn't will be greatly influenced by the respective Owners tolerance and primary intended use of the Hilt. As resources go, any Troubleshoot Help is valuable especially with the validated multiples of Prodigal Sons that are on order. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro2044

to prevent activation box card sliding loosely 1 year 9 months ago #47308

• harvey415
I agree with you. In time probably both of the tape and glue method would need replacement cause of the surface contact which would last longer i don't know. Maybe the Velcro method might last since it won't rub away with friction. It is always nice to have alternative method so people can have choices.

Just one very important thing to remember though. If anybody uses the tape method don't put too much tape underneath the card that would push the card with so much pressure that it rub against the top of the metal. That would cause damage to the top of the card where both side the card touch. Two layer of electrical tape is enough with no damage at all.

You mention about the magnet from Andi Jae-EL idea, that is a very interesting concept as the activation button is metal so it will work and I seen a video from DarthMario were he applied magnet to one of his saber with the sliding card. Problem is finding the correct size and strength of the magnet but looks like a good alternative.

Here the video if people are interesting in seeing the magnet method by Shameem aka DarthMario

skip to 53 sec to the exact part where you can see the magnet in action.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by harvey415.

to prevent activation box card sliding loosely 1 year 9 months ago #47434

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
  • Thank you received: 123
When it slides off, I glue that bitch back on with some Krazy Glue, and it works... Hahahaha!
"Honor is a fool's price. Honor is of no use to the dead."

- Custom SaberForge Monarch
- Vader's Vault REV-N Elite + Graflex
- Korbanth Kylo Ren

to prevent activation box card sliding loosely 1 year 9 months ago #47493

• OvrcAHst
DLR wrote:
When it slides off, I glue that bitch back on with some Krazy Glue, and it works... Hahahaha!
*ahem* I believe the official term is Kragle. ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, harvey415, Eddlyss64

to prevent activation box card sliding loosely 1 year 9 months ago #47508

• harvey415
and then this will happen... lol
Attachments:
  • ...280.jpg (379KB)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Darth-Revan, For Tyeth, OvrcAHst

to prevent activation box card sliding loosely 1 year 9 months ago #47666

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
  • Thank you received: 123
SPPPPAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEEEEESHHHHHHHHIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, we were saying?
"Honor is a fool's price. Honor is of no use to the dead."

- Custom SaberForge Monarch
- Vader's Vault REV-N Elite + Graflex
- Korbanth Kylo Ren
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyanRising
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Different finishes of Her... (5 Posts)
    • Ok. Thank you for your posts. Have you got any pics of this lightsaber with dark brown leather ?...
    • The lower pic is the weathered one. They anodize it black and sand off some of the black to...
    • The lower one is indeed, the weathered finish.
    • Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the lower picture actually weathered? If you look at other black...
    • Hi. I bought an Heretic lightsaber in november and i have chosen the "weathered" finish. But, i...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6416
  • Latest Member: rileyg2187
  • Total Posts: 63.8k
  • Total Topics: 5397
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 24
  • Yesterday Answer: 84