Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: I broke it? Maybe? Loose button.

I broke it? Maybe? Loose button. 3 months 2 weeks ago #11395

I just got my (wife's) Jade hilt. Excited about the quick disconnect on the LED module, I immediately opened it up to take a look. After some (gentle) stuffing and pushing, I finally got the LED back in place but now the power button is completely unseated. The sucker just popped right out. I can put it back in place but it doesn't stay. There's nothing holding the button assembly onto the hilt.

What did I do? What do I do to fix it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I broke it? Maybe? Loose button. 3 months 2 weeks ago #11396

Okay this is very weird but I think I'm all better. I took the LED out again, popped it back in and now the power button is staying in place just fine.

Crisis apparently averted but I'd still like to know what just happened if anyone has any ideas.

I broke it? Maybe? Loose button. 3 months 2 weeks ago #11397

• Knytiri
  • “At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.”
  • Like received: 183
The switches are actually glued in place, prolly just means you knocked it loose on accident. If you get a little superglue and put around the base of the switch and press it back into place it should hold again. It's a pretty common thing, and that's exactly what SF told me to do the one time I had it happen to me. Basically it's nothing to be concerned about as long as the wires are intact. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thorvindr

I broke it? Maybe? Loose button. 3 months 2 weeks ago #11400

Knytiri wrote:
The switches are actually glued in place, prolly just means you knocked it loose on accident. If you get a little superglue and put around the base of the switch and press it back into place it should hold again. It's a pretty common thing, and that's exactly what SF told me to do the one time I had it happen to me. Basically it's nothing to be concerned about as long as the wires are intact. :)

Hmm. Makes sense. I'm hesitant to take it apart again because it seems to be somehow held in place but I suppose I should since it's likely being held by squashed wires or something like that.

Thanks, Knytiri.

I broke it? Maybe? Loose button. 3 months 2 weeks ago #11425

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
  • Like received: 73
You can glue them down but I prefer locking them down with nuts. But I understand if that's more effort then you want to put into it.

I broke it? Maybe? Loose button. 3 months 2 weeks ago #11526

Miraluka wrote:
You can glue them down but I prefer locking them down with nuts. But I understand if that's more effort then you want to put into it.

I would actually MUCH rather lock it down with a nut. Not sure how I'd do that without a modded soldering iron with a VERY long, thin tip. Can you advise?

The problem I see is that the nut has to go on before the wires. I suppose I could do it the other way. I could detach nothing from the switch and have to resolder everything on the other end, after snaking the wires through the nut, then out to their respective components.

If there's a way I can do it without completely disassembling all the wiring, I'd love to know.

Hmmm... Maybe I could got a very thin nut and cut a notch in it just wide enough to get the wires through. I think I've seen something like that before. Then I could get the nut on the screw without having to detach any wires. That would be really ugly but it would also be really inside the hilt.

But seriously. What's your method?

I broke it? Maybe? Loose button. 3 months 2 weeks ago #11603

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
I'd just remove the wires from the switch with your soldering iron, slip the nut over the wires then resolder them.

Just make sure you mark/remember which wires are for the switch and which are LED +/-
The following user(s) said Thank You: thorvindr

I broke it? Maybe? Loose button. 3 months 2 weeks ago #11626

Miraluka wrote:
I'd just remove the wires from the switch with your soldering iron, slip the nut over the wires then resolder them.

Just make sure you mark/remember which wires are for the switch and which are LED +/-

The problem there is that I'm soldering inside the hilt. Can't put the nut on the screw until it's in place.

I suppose I could pull the switch out, detach the wires, string the wires through the nut (with the nut inside the hilt), resolder (outside the hilt), push the switch into place. Then I just have to thread the nut inside the hilt. Still a bit awkward but certainly requires less dexterity than soldering inside the hilt.

Hmm... I'll probably end up doing nothing, since SOMETHING is currently holding things in place. I also might worry that "something" is actually wires getting crushed and stressed, open it up again and glue it. If I go to the trouble of opening it, I may as well spend an hour to do it right and lock it down with a nut.

I realize I may be talking mostly to myself but it makes me feel better. Anyway: thanks both of you.

I broke it? Maybe? Loose button. 3 months 2 weeks ago #11643

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
thorvindr wrote:
The problem there is that I'm soldering inside the hilt. Can't put the nut on the screw until it's in place.

I'm afraid I'm not seeing what the problem is... I just did this to a SF Fury like a week ago. Unscrew the middle of the hilt for access to the switches, detach the wires, thread them through the nut, then solder the wires back on, put the switch back in place then screw the nut onto the switch. It's pretty straight-forward.

Basically like you just said in that same post. It's not as awkward as you think.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• My own saber (non Saberfo... (8 Posts)
    • Added a new shroud to hide the untidy Sith logo from before. [image]new-shroud This will now have a red...
    • RGBA Concerns and Questio... (1 Posts)
    • I ab-sooo-lutely love my Bane Saber, that being said I am not a big fan of the RGBA LED setup. To...
    • The Wait Begins....... (827 Posts)
    • Question to those familiar with Etsy shipping. I just checked the review orders page and it says my...
    • The Wait Begins....... (827 Posts)
    • Quote: Good News! This morning my consular moved to In Transit Quote: same with my BANE! I'm so... happy... for...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 1808
  • Latest Member: Gilbertwars2
  • Total Posts: 15.3k
  • Total Topics: 1223
  • Total Sections: 9
  • Total Categories: 69
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 2
  • Today Answer: 11
  • Yesterday Answer: 50