Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Anyone have any reccomendations on saber paint?

Anyone have any reccomendations on saber paint? 5 months 1 week ago #53842

• ElectricJesus
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm (hopefully) nearing the end of my wait on a weathered consular, and i want to do some small aesthetic detailing when it gets here. I'd like to get everything in advance and im wondering if anyone has any reccomendations on paint, preperation, paint type, brand, whatever.

I have some left over acrylic and aerosol sealer from a plastic model ship i built about a year ago, but im wondering if i may need something more durable, like enamel. Anybody have any advice?

I should note that the paint will be in "high use" areas of the hilt, so it should be reasonably durable.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone have any reccomendations on saber paint? 5 months 1 week ago #53851

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 491
ElectricJesus wrote:
I'm (hopefully) nearing the end of my wait on a weathered consular, and i want to do some small aesthetic detailing when it gets here. I'd like to get everything in advance and im wondering if anyone has any reccomendations on paint, preperation, paint type, brand, whatever.

I have some left over acrylic and aerosol sealer from a plastic model ship i built about a year ago, but im wondering if i may need something more durable, like enamel. Anybody have any advice?

I should note that the paint will be in "high use" areas of the hilt, so it should be reasonably durable.

Painting metal is tricky, especially if you want it to last. The most important step is going to be the prep work. The surface will need to be free of oils/debris, and it will probably need to be scuffed up a bit so the paint has something to adhere to. Here's a TCSS video on weathering a saber using spray paint, and should have some useful tips:

I'm not a paint expert, but I have heard of people using acrylic paint on metal with success before (though it's usually small scale stuff, like miniatures).

I myself will be trying some automotive spray paint (like the kind used on engines or brake calipers) to add some gold or copper accents to my saber when it arrives.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElectricJesus

Anyone have any reccomendations on saber paint? 5 months 1 week ago #53873

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 152
Whenever I did painting on the race car, always used self-etching primer.

Anyone have any reccomendations on saber paint? 5 months 1 week ago #53876

• Burns3558
  • Premium Member
  • The force is strong in my family...
  • Thank you received: 35
I used the same video to weather 2 sabers. One I posted in the saber hilt DIY section - more like a battle weathered saber. Second one was a black series ANH saber and it came out perfect. I used just plain old flat black rustoleum.

Clear coating where I live in southwest florida was brutal though. It took a few tries to get it coated without a texture because of the humidity.

I used 2 different fine grit sandpapers also.

I let my kids even use the 1st saber and they put a beating on it and the paint looks like I just did it.

Anyone have any reccomendations on saber paint? 2 months 5 days ago #64183

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 200
Burns3558 wrote:
I used just plain old flat black rustoleum.

So say I was doing a full repaint of a saber. Just some Rustoleum should work?
Clear coating where I live in southwest florida was brutal though. It took a few tries to get it coated without a texture because of the humidity.

What did you use for clear coating?

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

Anyone have any reccomendations on saber paint? 2 months 5 days ago #64200

• Burns3558
  • Premium Member
The paint I used was for weathering, but for a repaint I would prob use a primer along with the paint... Depends on the saber - are you painting metal or plastic?

Clear coat - I used matte clearcoat rustoleum.

Anyone have any reccomendations on saber paint? 2 months 4 days ago #64219

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 200
I'm painting the metal parts that I'm buying from the ASP site.

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

Anyone have any reccomendations on saber paint? 2 months 4 days ago #64282

• Burns3558
  • Premium Member
There is a great video on youtube by hamptons sabers that will walk you thru the whole process

Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• SWTOR: Knights of the Ete... (5 Posts)
    • Incredible trailer. REALLY makes me want to play this game. Gotta love those saber pikes.... [attachment] :cheer:
    • Plug-and-Play light up sw... (1 Posts)
    • I bought the Plug-and-Play Champion sound V2 and the Plug-and-Play light up switch, and they don't...
    • Vaders Vault Graflex full... (5 Posts)
    • It's a VV Flex ESB Series 30W :lol: Not quite Anakin's or Luke's or Rey's either. With the mash-up...
    • SWTOR: Knights of the Ete... (5 Posts)
    • Re-watched them all last night. It looks like her saber-pike was actually shown in battle in the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4566
  • Latest Member: xansur
  • Total Posts: 48.2k
  • Total Topics: 3566
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 112
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 7
  • Yesterday Answer: 20