Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Homemade kill key

Homemade kill key 4 months 1 week ago #61544

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Thank you received: 24
I really wasn't a fan of the kill key that it came with so I decided I was gonna make my own. Went on down to my neighborhood ace hardware and spent 45 minutes digging through the knob assortment and ended up on this lamp knob that was exactly what I was looking for!

Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by SadiraOrphesu.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, =Ottomatix=, Borommakot, OvrcAHst, jonnys95s10

Homemade kill key 4 months 1 week ago #61572

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1398
Nice DIY SadiraOrphesu. Would you mind explaining in more detail the process?

Homemade kill key 4 months 1 week ago #61575

• SadiraOrphesu
Oh certainly! Well the main body of the key is a lamp knob from the hardware store, it was completely empty on the back so I cut small circles out of a left over leather strap from a holster I made (I'll post about that when I have a chance to get some good pictures) and super glued them in a layer at a time for filler. On the third and final layer of the filler circles I used a leather punch to cut an offset hole the size of my plug insert (I canabalized the plug insert from a laptop charger adapter that happened to be the right size) And used super glue to put in the plug and last filler layer. Waited ten minutes to make sure all the super glue was 100% dry so as not to damage the plug on the saber and did kill key
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Homemade kill key 4 months 1 week ago #61579

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1398
Thank you. I recalled watching a Video Tutorial (no idea where now) sharing a similar method where he used plastic spacers to achieve a similar result. What stood out for me with your method of attack (whilst the lamp knob is identical as a readily available part) was the (now identified) canabalised 2.1mm port. It seems to be a lot quicker to achieve and is definitely more effective aesthetically too. Credit to you with the creativity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SadiraOrphesu

Homemade kill key 4 months 6 days ago #61585

• Muns
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 107
Awesome! Never would have thought of that, but now I gotta make myself a custom kill key.

Homemade kill key 4 months 6 days ago #61587

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi."
  • Thank you received: 239
That looks really nice. Great DIY kill key. Looks like it came that way.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Homemade kill key 4 months 6 days ago #61588

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
That's really nice...and looks good. Great work! How long did it take you from start to finish would you say just for the build itself?

On a side note, I sent Saberforge customer service a very polite e-mail indicating that I understood that they had changed the kill key but miss the metal ones. They sent me a very kind e-mail back acknowledging that the old kill keys are missed. :-) However, now that I know this can be done, looks like I've got my next little project on my hands.

Thank you so much for sharing this. :-)

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Homemade kill key 4 months 6 days ago #61591

• SadiraOrphesu
Thanks guys! It wasnt long at all, maybe 30 minutes from start to finish, the most lengthy process was cutting down the leather filler circles. I can definitely believe that I wasn't the only one upset about the change in kill keys, the new ones definitely just feel a little cheaper and look a little more out of place on the saber in my opinion. The best part is there are so many option for knobs you can do whatever you want. A small piece of advice for people wanting to do this, the hardest part was finding the part to inset in the plug. I looked for plastic spacers at the hardware store but couldn't find any that fit so I used what I had. If you are just looking to replace the stock kill key you can use a pair of pliers and pull the insert part out of the flat part. Guaranteed to fit perfectly in the hole and you already have an insert that is the right length to be recessed into the key to be secure.
Last Edit: 4 months 6 days ago by SadiraOrphesu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRod

Homemade kill key 4 months 6 days ago #61593

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
I'm glad you confirmed this, because I've got a Redeemer that I need a kill key for and I was going to try to use a heat gun and pull the post out of the key and hope for the best. I think you confirmed that can be done.

In some ways I feel bad for Saberforge. I really feel like they were proud of their new kill keys. I haven't heard of too many folks who prefer them to the originals.

Homemade kill key 4 months 6 days ago #61594

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi."
  • Thank you received: 239
Well count me as maybe the only person who likes the new kill keys. The low profile flat top is better to me than that huge hump from the originals. Them being plastic is a non issue for me as well considering they are hardly used except when storing the saber. Same as the metal ones. Call me crazy but I'm all about the saber itself-screw the kill key.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Homemade kill key 4 months 6 days ago #61595

• SadiraOrphesu
Yes sir, you don't even need a heat gun. Just grip the post with pliers and give the key a twist and it will loosen up and pop right off.

Yeah i like some of the lazerforge ones but the fact that they are plastic and really look like plastic is what works against them there. I wanted a real metal one to really tie up the look of the hilt

Homemade kill key 4 months 6 days ago #61596

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
Greysider wrote:
Well count me as maybe the only person who likes the new kill keys. The low profile flat top is better to me than that huge hump from the originals. Them being plastic is a non issue for me as well considering they are hardly used except when storing the saber. Same as the metal ones. Call me crazy but I'm all about the saber itself-screw the kill key.

Hey, I'm glad to meet someone who does. :-) I certainly don't hate them...I think they actually perform their function better than the older ones...I just don't like the look or feel as much. It's a personal preference thing. I believe that over time we'll all get used to them and it won't seem so out of place as they do today.
SadiraOrphesu wrote:
Yes sir, you don't even need a heat gun. Just grip the post with pliers and give the key a twist and it will loosen up and pop right off.

Even easier! Awesome! Thanks!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Reduced cost? (4 Posts)
    • Thank you Sir, lots of help.
    • ASP isn't supposed to be cheaper, it's supposed to be customizable. That alone would make it more...
    • 1.) For the most part, when compared to their main site counterparts, ASP hilts are broken down into...
    • I really though the ASP route was supposed to be a little easier on the prices? Tried to build a...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4665
  • Latest Member: Ricardus
  • Total Posts: 49.2k
  • Total Topics: 3692
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 112
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 5
  • Yesterday Answer: 11