Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Metal hilt parts

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #61652

• esxdave
  • Thank you received: 28
Hey there saber fans, as we know the original Luke lightsaber came from an old flashgun handle. What I was wondering was if anyone had any ideas or experience of other things that could be used as a starting point for a hilt? I have been playing about with customising plain aluminium tube but wanted to do something a bit more 'authentic' by starting with something that used to be something else. I've been scouring eBay for old brass telescopes or old metal torches(flashlights) but I'm sure there must be other interesting metal tubes or parts of machinery, etc to use as a starting point?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #61659

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 173
I know some people have used plumbing drain kits to make some sweet starter-sabers. With the right parts and a bit of polishing they can look pretty convincing.

The following user(s) said Thank You: esxdave

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #61674

• esxdave
snakeeyz99 thanks for the suggestion. I have seen plenty of sink part sabers online but in my opinion they tend to still look like sink parts even once they are made into sabers. I was wondering if anyone had tried or seen anything more unusual or unique?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuUpberSith

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #61711

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 510
I know this is a stretch, because some serious modifications would have to be made. The price is also alittle steep for some, just to destroy most of the product. However I'm always drawn to them when at the hardware store. Stylistically similar to the sidings hilts. Anyway, just a thought

Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by =Ottomatix=.

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #61713

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
In the middle pic the shower head holder is speaking to me!
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #61714

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
Yep, I always peruse the shower head section at lowes. They are a tad small, but still doable in some casea. Incorporating an emitter is a trip down the lighting isle ironically .

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #62006

• esxdave
Thanks guys, some ideas to consider there. Has anyone else tried anything different or seen something on the internet?

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #62010

• esxdave
Oooh just found these motorbike throttle handles on eBay, these look interesting! The dimensions are close enough to possibly be useful. Anyone have a motorbike who could comment on the suitability of something like this?

The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #62011

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 113
Not mine, but a few weeks ago there was a thread showing someone's homebuilt saber that was made from helicopter parts. Not as slick as a machined saber, but still a very interesting and unique build. Not sure how easy it would be to happen across such parts, but its certainly something different to the norm.

Scrap saber

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #62012

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
esxdave I like what you found there. Suitable most likely, durable definitely, it's really a matter of your creativity and what you can do with certain parts.

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #62013

• esxdave
TheGrandAdmiral wrote:
Not mine, but a few weeks ago there was a thread showing someone's homebuilt saber that was made from helicopter parts. Not as slick as a machined saber, but still a very interesting and unique build. Not sure how easy it would be to happen across such parts, but its certainly something different to the norm.

Scrap saber
I saw that post previously and that's what got me thinking again about what kind of weird and wonderful things people were using as a starting point. Like you say though it might be difficult to get hold of helicopter parts! ;)

Metal hilt parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #62022

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 113
I realise I actually forgot to adress the use of motorbike handles. Not only could that be really cool if they are of the correct dimensions, but they will be partly reminiscent of Corran Horn's speeder handle saber. Very cool idea if you can pull it off :)

Metal hilt parts 8 months 1 week ago #62051

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1542
What I was wondering was if anyone had any ideas or experience of other things that could be used as a starting point for a hilt?
Not having had thought of anything prior from when this Thread started, I didn't have anything to contribute. Was staring at some organised-mess in the garage today and thought, what about stainless steel car parts, i.e. exhaust pipes (a mandrel-bent Y-Section cut down would make a great curved hilt), Headers etc.? Granted the metal would be heavier than aluminium, but 'if' parts were salvaged, sections cut, add some other metal to the build like tin, copper, aluminium there'd be many options available right? :dry: Possibly? :whistle:

Metal hilt parts 8 months 1 week ago #62053

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 157
What tiny diameter headers are YOU running? :P Jk. It could be cool seeing a stainless welded saber hilt, especially with some smexy coloring on it. Or in Ti.

Metal hilt parts 8 months 1 week ago #62057

• OvrcAHst
BoostinIX wrote:
What tiny diameter headers are YOU running? :P Jk. It could be cool seeing a stainless welded saber hilt, especially with some smexy coloring on it. Or in Ti.
:lol: They're stupid tiny, restricts airflow and limits any significant boost and they're at unequal lengths as well that produces a deep, throaty wave-like rumble. :P Might need to take it to a Car Doctor. ;) Ti. would be cool. Here's a question for you. Alu-min-ium = Alu-min-um there. Titanium=Ti-tan-um? And is the Falcon a Mill-en-um Falcon? :huh: :dry:

Metal hilt parts 8 months 1 week ago #62058

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 173
Hey, this time it's the Brits that needlessly changed the pronunciation of the word:
n.
1812, coined by English chemist Sir Humphry Davy (1778-1829), from alumina, name given 18c. to aluminum oxide, from Latin alumen "alum" (see alum). Davy originally called it alumium (1808), then amended this to aluminum, which remains the U.S. word, but British editors in 1812 further amended it to aluminium, the modern preferred British form, to better harmonize with other metallic element names (sodium, potassium, etc.).

Aluminium, for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound. ["Quarterly Review," 1812]

As for color/colour etc that's probably a different matter. :P
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Snakeeyz99. Reason: Clarification
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Metal hilt parts 8 months 1 week ago #62079

• esxdave
WOW, great ideas for sabers AND linguistic history lessons in one thread. You guys are awesome! Keep the good stuff coming :cheer:

Metal hilt parts 8 months 5 days ago #62811

• esxdave
Just picked up this old school torch(flashlight) from eBay. This definitely has potential :cheer:
Last Edit: 8 months 5 days ago by esxdave.

Metal hilt parts 7 months 2 weeks ago #63766

• OvrcAHst
esxdave wrote:
Just picked up this old school torch(flashlight) from eBay. This definitely has potential :cheer:
Hey mate, just did a revisit to this Topic, did the Torch return any promise as a premise for conversion and how did the throttle handles go, are they still a worthy consideration or are both collectively being brainstormed?

Metal hilt parts 7 months 2 weeks ago #63776

• esxdave
The throttle handles are in my 'to-do' pile with other hair brained schemes I have yet to actually start on. The torch has been pulled apart and is definitely promising, although I just keep starting projects and never actually finishing them. I did pick this up off eBay the other day as a potential emitter.

Coming all the way from China though so it will be a while.
As and when I ever do make any progress on any sabers I will definitely be posting pics here.
Any other bright ideas out there saber fans?
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Payment types? (5 Posts)
    • I don't know about SF's reasons, but I know that another vendor doesn't use PayPal anymore due to...
    • The bottom of the site says they accept American express, Visa, discover, Mastercard, JCB and there...
    • well..........that sucks.
    • Apparently they don't accept Paypal I asked CS a while ago which payment options they accepted. They...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Guess I need to clear my schedule then.... :P :lol: You mean it's not already cleared for the 4...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4710
  • Latest Member: TARoberth2C1e
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 33
  • Yesterday Answer: 41