Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Hasbro Kylo Ren Conversion?

Hasbro Kylo Ren Conversion? 6 months 2 weeks ago #66075

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 205
This is a stretch, and I know it. But remember how I wanted to take one of those old Habro extendable sabers and turn it into a cool little wannabe prop with a good LED and decent economy soundboard?

Well, I'm at it again.

They make these extendable sabers a lot thinner than they used to be. While this does limit the strength of the blades (ridiculously flimsy, if you're curious), it makes the hilts a lot more comfortable to grip. With this in mind, I want to grab one of these guys before they sell out. My plan is the following, please tell me if it's too crazy.

1) Crack this guy open and remove all unnecessary plastic (MAYBE makes vents in the bottom for sound, it might already haves holes in the bottom if my memory serves me).
2) Touch up the paint job to make it more screen accurate
3) Make/MacGyver a chassis
4) Add three 6w Red LEDs (Not Medium or Deep/Photo Red, I want the more fiery red from the movie)
5) Add a speaker and some kind of soundboard with staggered ignition (even an economy Kylo Ren soundboard would work, but anything I can put Shameem's Kylo Ren TFA HD on would be better)
6) Add blade wells, places for blade retention screws and three blades (obviously)

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hasbro Kylo Ren Conversion? 6 months 2 weeks ago #66076

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 579
I think the Disney Kylo's a better starting point. You get a decent hilt and economy Kylo sound for $30.

Someone... somewhere, apparently made a conversion tutorial, but I never found it.

I imagine the wiring can't be *too* different from my BladeBuilder wiring job. You'll need transistors, but I'm not sure if this board will want PNP or NPN. I had to use a mix for the BladeBuilder.

Also, don't even think about a BladeBuilder board just because I keep mentioning it - it's too big to fit in any standard hilt, and I had to sacrifice duel-ability to make it fit.

Heat's an issue with plastic hilts, so I'm going to advise against any SF LEDs. Single Red Crees on all three blades. If you can get a decently large heatsink installed for the main blade, *maybe* an under-powered Tri-Cree Red there.

Also, I used standard Red thinking Kylo had a fiery red-orange blade, but that viewpoint changed on repeat viewings. I don't know if something changed from theatrical release, but all promotional material and the BluRay release definitely have something closer to a Deep Red.

Hasbro Kylo Ren Conversion? 6 months 2 weeks ago #66079

• Khang
  • Thank you received: 23
With this plastic hilt, I wouldn't even use 6w. Get some single star Luxeon or Cree to install. Putting out too much heat into a plastic hilt is asking for trouble.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New and Upcoming from Phi... (14 Posts)
    • That Renegade... Might have to do that in the future. After my first ASP
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (676 Posts)
    • Just got my girlfriends Phoenix in the mail! It only took 2 weeks, but it was an initiate. Very good...
    • [attachment]
    • My favorites are the Prodigy and Renegade. When is the next SF sale? :lol:
    • [FOR SALE $395USD] V2 CR ... (2 Posts)
    • [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4709
  • Latest Member: Rebzyawag
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 26
  • Yesterday Answer: 41